Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Butchie
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Big Lake
Posts: 6
M.O.C. #21457
Alternatives to 381TH

We have a Montana right now and have been looking at the 381TH. The unique set up where you do not give up any interior space is very tempting. However, as part of our discussion, we have also talked about whether there are Class As out there with a similar set up. I have looked and cannot find anything. I know there are traditional Class A THs, but I am really only referring to the unique set up similar to the 381. (we are aware of other options such as Idaho totes, etc.) I hope my question is not seen as a slap to Montana as that is not my intention at all! Just trying to make sure we do our homework. Thanks.
Butchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
dlscott185
Established Member
 
dlscott185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 48
M.O.C. #21450
Newmar has a th with the garage behind a normal bedroom. I seem to recall a high end diesel pusher with the garage under the rear but donít remember the name.

Also forest river has the cedar creek and river stone brands. The cedar creek has 4 drawers in the front of the garage for miscellaneous storage. And of course grand design has the momentum and solitude.

There may be others. Weíre happy with our 380th. Some minor issues that selling dealer fixed under warranty. I just installed Sailunís and am happy to report it tracks straight as an arrow now.
__________________
Dale and Char Scott
2012 F350 6.7L
2018 Montana HC 380TH
Snowy and Mouse
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,786
M.O.C. #20693
I have seen a few examples of basement garages on Class A but they were all custom and mega $$$$. As DLScott mentioned there are some other 5ers out there built very similar to the 380/381TH. HOWEVER, only the 380/381TH has a full 10' long garage!


I actually designed this floor plan for Grand Design but could not get them to make the garage a full 10' so our kayaks would fit. Therefore we bought the Keystone. Only the 380/381TH allows you to carry BOTH a motorcycle AND kayaks. You can also carry a jet ski or a trail sized side by side. If your less than 10' ONLY thing your carrying is a motorcycle!


We dearly love our 381TH despite what the uppity Montana owners say about High Countries! Having said that if the start building a wide body high end model in the same floor plan (with perhaps a wider garage on a wide body?) then we will gladly trade in the 381TH. Until then the snooty Montana owners (not all of them but they know who they are) can bite it. Besides when the million dollar Class A diesel pusher pulls up with the 24' enclosed toy trailer (with matching paint scheme of course) pulls up nobody with a 5th wheel is going to be bragging..........


If your on a budget and need the full 10' long garage, buy the 381TH. If you have the resources have New Horizons build the same floor plan on a wide body 5er for you (wish I had known about them before we bought the 381TH to be honest). If you have unlimited cash to throw away buy a Class A diesel pusher with a matching enclosed trailer (I will be the green guy next door when you pull up!).
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,786
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlscott185 View Post
Newmar has a th with the garage behind a normal bedroom. I seem to recall a high end diesel pusher with the garage under the rear but don’t remember the name.

Also forest river has the cedar creek and river stone brands. The cedar creek has 4 drawers in the front of the garage for miscellaneous storage. And of course grand design has the momentum and solitude.

There may be others. We’re happy with our 380th. Some minor issues that selling dealer fixed under warranty. I just installed Sailun’s and am happy to report it tracks straight as an arrow now.
The problem of course with top end Class A is that the engine is of course in the rear (where it should be). And the Chassis frame runs all the way front to back even on the front engine models. That all but eliminates the ability to build a two story type floor plan with a basement garage tall enough for toys like motorcycles. However, with that much horsepower it is no problem to tow a nice enclosed trailer. Besides if you got the buck for a Class A diesel pusher you certainly have enough for the toy hauling trailer right?
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Butchie
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Big Lake
Posts: 6
M.O.C. #21457
Thank you everyone for the replies! I think you have confirmed my search, and no, we do r have unlimited $$ for a custom class A. LOL. I agree a trailer behind a class A is the other best option (other than the current 5th wheel options). Thanks again.
Butchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Islip Terrace
Posts: 169
M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I have seen a few examples of basement garages on Class A but they were all custom and mega $$$$. As DLScott mentioned there are some other 5ers out there built very similar to the 380/381TH. HOWEVER, only the 380/381TH has a full 10' long garage!


I actually designed this floor plan for Grand Design but could not get them to make the garage a full 10' so our kayaks would fit. Therefore we bought the Keystone. Only the 380/381TH allows you to carry BOTH a motorcycle AND kayaks. You can also carry a jet ski or a trail sized side by side. If your less than 10' ONLY thing your carrying is a motorcycle!


We dearly love our 381TH despite what the uppity Montana owners say about High Countries! Having said that if the start building a wide body high end model in the same floor plan (with perhaps a wider garage on a wide body?) then we will gladly trade in the 381TH. Until then the snooty Montana owners (not all of them but they know who they are) can bite it. Besides when the million dollar Class A diesel pusher pulls up with the 24' enclosed toy trailer (with matching paint scheme of course) pulls up nobody with a 5th wheel is going to be bragging..........


If your on a budget and need the full 10' long garage, buy the 381TH. If you have the resources have New Horizons build the same floor plan on a wide body 5er for you (wish I had known about them before we bought the 381TH to be honest). If you have unlimited cash to throw away buy a Class A diesel pusher with a matching enclosed trailer (I will be the green guy next door when you pull up!).
I agree, we love ours, as a contractor I approach problems with the intent to correct them & move on to the next. I have fixed ours & am now starting to make some improvements & upgrades. We buy what works best for us, not out to impress any one, don't need the newest or best, thats not what camping is about. We had a wolfpack with no slides, always had a good time, now the 381 has a floor plan that is great for what we do & we are enjoying it. My advice is get what works for you & don't look back. mtlakejim, if this was based on your design, good call!
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,786
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
I agree, we love ours, as a contractor I approach problems with the intent to correct them & move on to the next. I have fixed ours & am now starting to make some improvements & upgrades. We buy what works best for us, not out to impress any one, don't need the newest or best, thats not what camping is about. We had a wolfpack with no slides, always had a good time, now the 381 has a floor plan that is great for what we do & we are enjoying it. My advice is get what works for you & don't look back. mtlakejim, if this was based on your design, good call!
Yep I was at the Dallas RV show and drew out the concept for a Grand Design rep. They started building their version the next year. Unfortunately they had blinders on like most designers and couldn’t see past the guy with a Harley and made the garage 6” too short for anything except a motorcycle. I tried to convince them to at least open up the wall in front of garage to allow for kayaks. I would have bought the GD if they had done that as I think it is a little better built than the Keystone but alas they wouldn’t do it.

However, New Horizons has expressed interest in the concept and I know for certain they will build the same floor plan as a custom. NH is a far better built coach and worth looking into. But be warned they don’t come cheap and they are a lot heavier.
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
TennTom
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Holladay
Posts: 26
M.O.C. #22087
Wife and I both fell in love with the design of the 381. It just makes sense. If I would have known that NH would build the same but wider I think we too would have gone that route. We are happy with the 381 and look forward to many good trips.
__________________
2019 HC 381TH
2018 Ram 2500 - 6.4 HEMI
TennTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,786
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTom View Post
Wife and I both fell in love with the design of the 381. It just makes sense. If I would have known that NH would build the same but wider I think we too would have gone that route. We are happy with the 381 and look forward to many good trips.
We are happy with ours too. Itís the best compromise between luxury and toy hauler utility. But I do look forward to seeing additional variations of the concept.

For certain, it is extremely popular. I canít tell you the number of tours we have given of ours. Everyone wants to see the unique layout
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 4,279
M.O.C. #2283
About 45 years ago I was working for a little machine shop making parts for ITT Night Vision. They made the night vision products for the military, the good stuff we can’t buy. They had a flimsy hard to make hard to use housing that held the scopes in place. As I worked I designed a better one and when I got done I tore it all up and threw it in the trash can. You don’t seriously think their high paid engineers would use something a machinist had designed. Not invented here. Camper companys are no different.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,786
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
About 45 years ago I was working for a little machine shop making parts for ITT Night Vision. They made the night vision products for the military, the good stuff we can’t buy. They had a flimsy hard to make hard to use housing that held the scopes in place. As I worked I designed a better one and when I got done I tore it all up and threw it in the trash can. You don’t seriously think their high paid engineers would use something a machinist had designed. Not invented here. Camper companys are no different.
Lynwood
That’s why I like New Horizons. They WILL listen to customers and if you have the money build whatever you want within limits. I have already talked to them about building something similar to the 381 and that will likely be our next 5er in a few years.

I just don’t see the Thor and Forest River companies getting to the build quality we would like in my lifetime. Particularly now that fulltiming is in our future.
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
margerush
Established Member
 
margerush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Riverview
Posts: 28
M.O.C. #20713
My brother has a Keystone Outback TT 324CG. cargo/toy hauler/bunk beds w/ramp in front. He loves it.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.