Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Uneven floor

2018 3120RL. The floor is higher on the left side then on the right. Unit has been in the shop for 2 months and we are now being told that Keystone wants it returned to the factory. Has anyone had their unit redone at the factory for some reason and was it really better when it returned, as if they might pay a little more attention to the quality under these circumstances? Don't know when it goes back or how long it will be gone. Of the 6 months we've owned it 2 months, so far, it has been in the shop

buspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
How did you determine one side higher than the other? Measured from where to where? Does it slope, or are there uneven spots? I have the same model so am interested (I know it could happen to any model).
Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Having the RV returned to the factory is the best way to get it fixed right! Plus they usually fix any other problems you have at the same time. The factory people know and understand the units and are not your typical knuckle-drager RV repair guys.

It may not be quick but insist on a warranty extension to cover the lost use time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our 2010 had an issue with the hole for the largest slide not being big enough. Service Center fixed that and found two other things in other parts of the rig (so apparently they went over the whole thing). I would be happy they are going to fix it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Very unusual for KS to take one back. Good deal for you, I think. Negotiate for transportation on their dime, and to make your monthly payments for the time they have it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Uneven floor

We discovered it on our first trip. Lengthwise on off door side - the raised portion runs from the pantry to just in front of the couch in the rear- and widthwise it runs from the off door side edge to the door side and is about 1/3 of the total width. This puts you standing in front of the sink wondering why you feel like you are tipping forward.
It was our first experience with an auto leveler and I thought I just hadn't gotten that right, but with a level it is easy to find. The floor is level in front of the door and as you slide the level toward the refrigerator you see the end rise and note level bubble change.
Thanks for the information and tips. Hadn't thought of having them make the finance payments and I can't imagine they will want me to take it to them.
They can have it back too if they'd rather.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Please let us know what the final resolution is. I have noticed that the floor just in front of the kitchen slide seems to slope down towards the slide but haven't checked it with a level. And it is only just a few inches. Thought it was just my imagination (and may still be), but I guess I need to check with the level. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Uneven floor

I sure will let folks know how it goes. A representative from Keystone called early Monday morning to let us know generally what was being planned and to get permission to take the RV from the dealer to the service center. She assured me it is not going back to the factory floor. Out west the center is in Pendleton, OR so she said. Supposed to hear from their rep soon and we will know more about timing, warranty, $$ etc.
We are hopeful.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
I checked my floor in 2019 3121. There is a slight rise on both sides of the LR (running front to back) and the floor slopes down on both sides. Nothing drastic, but if you place a 4' level across the floor there is a slight gap in the middle with a hump on both sides and then a slope outward on both sides. It appears that the "hump" is over the I-beams. On the driver side, the floor slopes under the kitchen slide. On the door side it slopes at the door (can't see any slope toward the dinette slide. Is this normal? It's not drastic, maybe all of them like this.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Just heard from the dealership and they say the trailer is ready for pickup. Said they worked something out with the factory and it does not have to go there. The good news is that we get the 5er back and can get some use out of it yet this summer. I've asked for a detailed explanation of the repairs.

My plan is to have it checked by an independent RV shop that I've used before.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Bob & Debbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #21134
Baldicon - we have the same sloping on our 2018 3561RL - checked a couple other units at our dealer after we noticed it and the 3 we checked all had the same sloping.
Bob & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Debbie View Post
Baldicon - we have the same sloping on our 2018 3561RL - checked a couple other units at our dealer after we noticed it and the 3 we checked all had the same sloping.
Thanks for the reply. I hope that means that it's normal, rather than they all have a common problem. When was yours built? I sent pictures to my dealer yesterday. I'll let you know what he says on the thread I started a here:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1111292#post1111292
Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Smile

The update on our unit. Got an email from the dealer and they said it was ready to be picked up. Good news but what about going to the factory service center? Said they had the fix coordinated with the factory and it is finished. The next day got a call from the service center to let us know about picking it up to take it to the center for the repair not knowing that the dealer said it was done. he lady at the service center was very professional and nice about all this and has since checked to find out that it is in fact done. She also offered to keep the service center scheduled time open until we get a chance to look at it and make sure we are satisfied with the repairs. Don't think you can beat that.
Looking forward to camping again.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Bob & Debbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #21134
Please let us all know what the dealer did to fix this. Great pictures by the way. Ours looks exactly the same.
Bob & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Debbie View Post
Please let us all know what the dealer did to fix this. Great pictures by the way. Ours looks exactly the same.
Bob & Debbie, did you mean to reply to buspilot or me? I don't see any pictures from bus pilot. I did post pictures in the thread that I started. I didn't want to hijack buspilot's thread. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=75065

buspilot, hope they have your's fixed to your satisfaction. I too would like to know what they did since I'm have a similar issue.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
We have the unit home, picked it up on Monday, and the "fixed" floor looks very much like Baldicon's pictures. The fix was," pulled underbelly down and inspected crossmembers. floor joists are tight to crossmembers. pulled back lino per manufacturer. shimmed floor up to level out on d/s of dinette. reinstalled all." So now the floor is wavy as opposed to the hump to start with. Other things were not fixed. Unit was very dirty inside although spotless when we took it in. The appointment for the factory is still open but now the factory rep in Pendleton has requested permission from Indiana to take it in for work. No news on that request. $80,000 list and the floor can't be flat?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I think it would be very difficult to level an uneven floor without pulling everything off it, including the walls. I had a similar problem with my FR product. The factory was willing to take it back for repair, the only way they said it could be fixed, but we got the MT instead. I suggest you let the factory do it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by buspilot View Post
We have the unit home, picked it up on Monday, and the "fixed" floor looks very much like Baldicon's pictures. The fix was," pulled underbelly down and inspected crossmembers. floor joists are tight to crossmembers. pulled back lino per manufacturer. shimmed floor up to level out on d/s of dinette. reinstalled all." So now the floor is wavy as opposed to the hump to start with. Other things were not fixed. Unit was very dirty inside although spotless when we took it in. The appointment for the factory is still open but now the factory rep in Pendleton has requested permission from Indiana to take it in for work. No news on that request. $80,000 list and the floor can't be flat?
Not the resolution we were wanting to hear.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
buspilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #21274
Angry

The result is that we have been told that it is fixed. The factory offer was withdrawn. Nice lady from Keystone called and suggested that we take it to an authorized dealer for repairs. Huh? It was at the authorized dealer for 2 1/2 months. She said she had no claim from the dealer for the repairs and that is the last I heard from them. Manager from the dealer wrote and said it was fixed and that it is common in ducted floors to sag between the joists. I've lived in lots of houses and had a couple other trailers with ducted floors and had never seen it before. He said he could show me several trailers on their lot with the same issue. Not sure where we go from here but will think of something.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Taking ours to dealer tomorrow for him to look at the floors. Also, taking 4' level with me and will check other Montana's on his lot. Don't know, maybe this is normal. If ours doesn't get any worse or it doesn't cause any other problems, I would rather leave as is than repairs be made.