Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I have the onboard Onan 5500LP, great for an emergency, but they are not very practical for long term usage, fuel consumption is not good. Looks at the specs on them .

You would be well served to buy a couple 2000's or 2200's and save money ,and fuel. I very seldom run my Onan, mostly to just exercise it. I have a 2000 honda that I run when one is needed, although I am never in a situation where I need a generator to run an air conditioner, so for me the 2000 is plenty. Those big onboard generators just don't make much sense to run hours on end .

Respect your opinion as your reality. Despite the fact that the Onan's do consume a good amount of fuel for us it makes sense. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. With an AGS and high output when I need power to charge my batteries it's there. I don't have to worry about securing them or if I have to shed loads to prevent overload. It's a bit like SUV's. You don't buy one and complain about 12 mpg. You know up front what you are getting into. They are not for everyone obviously but they way things have worked out for us I love it.

PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #22
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
I installed the Onan 5500LP also. In the summer time we turn it on with full AC going when we are about an hour or 2 from our stop. The inside is comfortably cool by the time we stop for the day. I have the two 40 gallon tanks and a third that I carry in the back of the truck. We HAVE run out of fuel at least once, but it's always pretty easy to find an LP dealer close by. I'm convinced the the Onan is the way to go.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Respect your opinion as your reality. Despite the fact that the Onan's do consume a good amount of fuel for us it makes sense. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. With an AGS and high output when I need power to charge my batteries it's there. I don't have to worry about securing them or if I have to shed loads to prevent overload. It's a bit like SUV's. You don't buy one and complain about 12 mpg. You know up front what you are getting into. They are not for everyone obviously but they way things have worked out for us I love it.

Respect my reality, its reality plain ,and simple for many.

If a person needs to run a generator day in ,and day to for hours a time , that Onan 5500 LP, is NOT the answer, unless ,and its simple you better enjoy going after propane, or you better haul a bunch. Thats the reality, I know I have done it. It really wasn't about the cost, it was just plain inconvenient .

We own an SUV ,and it gets a bit better then 12mpg, and not complaining
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.patterson01@yahoo.c View Post
I installed the Onan 5500LP also. In the summer time we turn it on with full AC going when we are about an hour or 2 from our stop. The inside is comfortably cool by the time we stop for the day. I have the two 40 gallon tanks and a third that I carry in the back of the truck. We HAVE run out of fuel at least once, but it's always pretty easy to find an LP dealer close by. I'm convinced the the Onan is the way to go.

Thats the secret you better have a propane dealer close by, and if not that Onan makes for unwanted pin weight
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I had a friend who worked on generators. Had his own generator repair business for 30 years. He told me showed me several times the 5500s had a belt that connected the generator with the motor. He said it usually broke at about 800 to 850 hours. The generator required a full disassemble to repair. He said the older ones were better than the new ones.
Lynwood

Mine is 11years old now, and 174 hours, guess a long ways from breaking it looks like . Thats what about 24 tanks of propane depending on size .
Old 01-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Mine is 11years old now, and 174 hours, guess a long ways from breaking it looks like . Thats what about 24 tanks of propane depending on size .
The same guy was working on a work van with two Honda generators on it. They were built in units similar to the Onan units. One had 12,000 hours and the other had 14,000 hours on it. I didn’t know Honda ever made an RV type generator.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The same guy was working on a work van with two Honda generators on it. They were built in units similar to the Onan units. One had 12,000 hours and the other had 14,000 hours on it. I didn’t know Honda ever made an RV type generator.
Lynwood

I have no idea how many hours I have on my Honda 2000, but have run the heck out of it. If I had to do it over, and spend money on generators. For my use, a little bit of boon docking, hunting, and fishing, but mostly full hookups , I would have went with the two Honda 2000's, it would of covered every situation I would need.

When I do haul the one 2000, its in use everyday .Headed to Arizona in a couple weeks, no need for a generator, and won't take the Honda. Got my expensive Onan on board .

The one time I did go to Arizona ,and need a generator was the Circling of the Montana's outside Quartzsite , it was during the NFL playoffs , had to run that Onan, no Honda at that time. I sure found out thirsty that 5500 was I was glad Quartzite was not too far.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #28
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Different strokes for different folks.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote