Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
NEW FORD TRUCK BEDS

I was unable to find, but I know I read that there was a problem with the short bed and the slider hitch that the monty was hitting the top rail in a turn the bed was to deep. Is this a problem that we need to be looking at? the dealers here are giving great deals on the 08 but I was going to wait for the 09.

Bob

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If this helps... The bed on my 08 LONG BED Ford looks to be 8 1/2 inches deep and there is a spray in bed liner that may add 1/4 inch or so. This bed is deeper than the bed on my 05 long bed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I found the tread I was looking for on page 9 after I figured out how to look back...Pin Box Problem

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=28741

Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Bob & Lee,
I had a problem with the fixed portion of the pin box on my 2955RL hitting the bed top rail of my 08 Chevy long bed. I had to replace the top bed rail cap. Lippert is aware of this problem but does not have a fix that I know of. They also indicated this was a Chevy and Ford problem. Chevy and Ford have deeper beds on the new models. Dodge does not.

The simplest way I know of to fix this is to nip the corners of the fixed portion that the pin box bolts to. It does not require much of the corners to be nipped to fix this. Lippert did tell the hitch experts in Elkhart I visited that this would void the warranty. The hitch people inspected my unit and said that nipping the corners would not cause any structural damage to the unit. From what I have read there are several other areas of the Lippert frame that people have had problems with.

I am going to nip those corners and when I replace the Mission tires this fall I will go with a tire that is about 1 1/2" to 2" taller and have already raised the hitch in the bed to the top bolts. This will cure my problem. As another MOC member mentioned sometimes you got to do what you have to do to fix things. I'm not really worried about any structural problem in that area by nipping the corners. I will take my chances there over bending my bed up more seriously.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have on '08 Chevy and had the Trailer Saver hitch installed and when I hooked up I was very close to the rails. My solution at this time was to lower the pin box on the trailer to the lower set of holes and this gave me an extra 2 inches, plus, since the hitch is an air hitch I add a little extra air to raise the hitch a little.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
exavatr, You probably already know this but the Trailer Saver can be raised by ordering a spacer from Trailer Saver. It comes standard with the 1", or you can order a 2" or a 3". I had to order the 3" but could have gotten by with the 2". And it comes with all hardware. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I have on '08 Chevy and had the Trailer Saver hitch installed and when I hooked up I was very close to the rails. My solution at this time was to lower the pin box on the trailer to the lower set of holes and this gave me an extra 2 inches, plus, since the hitch is an air hitch I add a little extra air to raise the hitch a little.....
When we had our TrailerSaver hitch installed in 2003, we had to add the 3" adapter. Works fine and gives us about 7" clearance between the truck and the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been in touch with Hensley, Manuf of the Trailer Saver and they have offered to send me the extension kit. Right now, as I have explained, I have 5 1/2 to 6 inch clearance while towing and the trailer is almost level. I am having suspension changed out at MorRyde in Sept and will address this issue again then.....I'm thinking of adding the 4 inch adapter and putting the hitchpin back in original holes, of course this will still put me where I am right now....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Phil,
My trailer rides slightly high in the front as it is now. If I raise my front more without raising the trailer at the wheels it will be riding really high in the front.
I was wondering if you have 85R16 tires. That would help level out the trailer for me.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote