Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Brake Controler - HELP!!!

Hello All,

My husband and I picked up our Monty from storage and found that the brakes locked up each time the pedal was depressed. It was working fine 2 weeks ago. One would think that it is out of adjustment, but we could not get it to adjust. We found that when making a right turn with right blinker on the brakes would grab with each blink. When sitting still we noticed that with the right blinker on, the light turns red to green with each blink on the controller. Very strange...

We fiddled with the plug and were able to get a good connection with no crazy blinker/brake mishaps, but I am VERY worried about it. The controller is a Voyager by Tekonsha, probably not the best. But we lean more so that it is electrical in the plug. The Monty is only a few months old.

Has anyone experienced this before? We are hoping the dealer will take it tomorrow to look at the plug (hopefully warranty). We are leaving for vacation in a couple of days and DO NOT WANT ANY BRAKE PROBLEMS!

What type of controller do you all recommend? Any thoughts on what could be causing this electrical short? HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance...
Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Buy a ford with the tow comand built in and forget to worry about the after market stuff
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
The Voyager is a very good, time proven controller. Perhaps cleaning the contacts in the plug?
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I would start by checking for damage to rv & trailer wiring sounds like mice have been chewing on wires good luck
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If you decide to go for another Controller I would go with the Prodigy. I use nothing but the Prodigy, I have two or three different types that I have given away that were already installed in other TV's we purchased. For the money I think its the best buy. I pull several different type trailers and the largest being the heavy duty trailer that we move the Back-hoe or the Cat D-6 type and I very seldom have to change the setting. I do change the setting when moving the D-6 just because of the weight. Good luck on your choice.... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Based on your description of the problem I would trouble shoot the electrical issues before I replaced the controller. Follow your symptoms of the problem with the turn signal etc. As your gut told you that is not right.
If you have a volt meter or test light. Unplug the trailer from the Tow Vehicle and test the receptacle at the Tow Vehicle. Check the brake positive feed for voltage flux when the turn signal is turned on. I expect none but that helps you determine if the problem is with the Tow Vehicle or the trailer. I am guessing (that is all just a guess) you will find the problem under the pin in the junction box or worse with the wiring for the trailer.
Good luck and please keep us advised.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
The biggest problem you have with trailer connections is to do with the ground between TV & trailer. Turn signals affecting breaks, would check for good ground first. If you put a voltmeter between metal on truck and metal on trailer I would expect you will see voltage which would mean ground problem. If truck wring was spliced to add your controler those splices would be the first suspect.

Good luck
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, just my two cents here. You say "never had this problem before", sounds as though the circuit is missing a diode that prevents flasher/turn signal feedback into the break peddle circuit.
Your Dodge is 2006, which suggests the "diode" is not needed as it was for older vehicles that had no provision to connect electric trailer breaks. I assume your using a factory connection to the Dodge truck brake circuit?
If factory plug being used then w/o trailer plugged in, turn signal on should not trigger pulses on the "brake wire" vs. the ground wire on brake controller plug. If Ok...
As others posted connect trailer plug and then test with VOM on ohms selection for resistance between unpainted metal point on truck and unpainted metal point on trailer...should be 0 to few hundred ohms....saying there is good ground. If you can trace the ground wire in trailer harness just make sure it bond to the trailer chassis is tight.
Let us know how your progressing in debug....Thanks,
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sue,

I agree with others above - you have a wiring problem, not a controller problem.

You have a direct short across the right turn signal output and the controller output. The controller output goes directly to the trailer brakes and has nothing to do with the brake or turn lighting. Your right turn signal is powering up the output side of the controller causing brake action and the controller indicator to flash on and off.

It's most likely in your truck. I would check the following:
  • Take apart the wiring receptacle in the bed of your truck and look for poor wiring across the contacts installed by your Dealer
  • Check the connections where the Dealer T-tapped your factory hitch wiring to install the receptacle in the bed of the truck
  • Finally, remove the electrical cover from the pin box on the Monty and check the connections there

Those are really the only places the brake output and turn signals ever cross paths.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:36 AM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It's not the controller, and you said that it was fine when you parked the MONTANA, so deduction would indicate that the problem was in your wiring to the controler. I agree with several that posted it is in you truck wiring, check where you made the splice's to the controller that is where it's at. Some time's the Dealer will turn the young school kids in the shop to wiring things up... Sounds like who ever wired your unit didn't insulate those connections properly and some wire's are crossing or rubbing togeather.... IF YOU DEALER WIRED IT """'SHAME ON HIM"""""""
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I would first check to see if a mouse might have chewed the wires under the trailer and the wires are touching and when you turn on signal it is sending voltage to the brake wires.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
As an update to the brake controller:

Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be dirty contacts. Used some silicone and we are good to go! Checked the visible areas of the cord and could not see any signs of chewing or wear....the controller is actually working better than it ever has! Go figure....

Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like today is your lucky day and all things will be fixed! fridge - brakes - !

Happy travels
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks bsmeaton....seems like we have had a rocky start but I can see light at the end of the tunnel with good times ahead.....

Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Even though I know nothing about this subject, I did learn something and just enjoyed seeing how we all help each other out, just makes me feel good.
Lisa
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote