Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Bikes and stabilizing

We picked up our Mountaineer 307RKD yesterday, and stayed at a campground near the dealer last night, just in case we had problems. We drove from Des Moines to Cedar Rapids this morning and saw 1 Montana on I-80 headed west, so we waved. If that was you, HI!!

Here are two questions we have and I haven't found answers for either of them in the forum. If there are answers, please just direct me to them! Thanks!

1. There is a LOT of side-to-side movement when we're parked. I can stand in the kitchen and basically rock the 5er. I've seen posts where you should have a tri-pod, wheel chocks and stabilizer jacks (behind the wheels), but DH doesn't want to spend the extra money (we've seen what we think should be used at $50-75), unless he knows it will work. He tried a couple of bottle jacks with virtually no difference in the movoment. What are the best jacks to use in this case? We do have wheel chocks (between the wheels) and the rear stabilizers down.
2. The Mountaineer has a "built-in" bike rack, but DH says there's no way to fasten the bikes to the rack -- it's just the bumper pulls out and there's a vertical bar at the bumper close to you -- not at the 5er back wall. How do you secure bikes to this rack? Or do you have to buy a "real" bike rack, and this really isn't a bike rack?

Thanks!

Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I have a 344RET and the Roto-Choks helped some with the movement in the trailer. As far as the bikes go, I removed the plastic tray, put in some aluminum diamond plate and mounted a couple of fork holders like these (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...e.cfm?SKU=3702). Works great on my recumbents.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I had started a thread a few days ago on the bike racks on the Mountaineer. Ours is missing the upright bar. You might want to look at the thread, but I have no confidence in the rack the way they are. Last thing I want is a bike rubbing the back of the fiver. If we decide to get bicycles, I will wait til we hit the home base, and build something that will stabilize two bicycles.

As far as the movement of the fiver while set up, I use 4 X 6 blocks under the back jacks so that they don't have to be extended so far. Ours still moves, but it is something we've gotten used too, and doesn't bother us any more. I see lots of folks using the tripod under the hitch pin, but I don't think they're worth the price that they are. Just my opinion.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I think that you will find there a lot of different ways people try to stop unwanted movement inside the trailer. No one thing will eliminate 100% of it. The best you can do is continue to use the rear jacks like you have been doing and add a few others one thing at a time until you are satisfied. We were like you and didn't want to spend a lot of unnecessary money on something that didn't work. What we learned after reading lots of other posts was to get some sort of tire locking device that keeps the wheels from moving forward and backward, and we bought a used tri-pod from another camper who had sold there 5th wheel and didn't need it no more. I also picked up the deluxe wheel chocks from camping world a few years ago and would never be without them now. Make sure you are going around and rechecking everything after you have been parked for an hour as the tires will cool down and shrink a bit. Also the ground where you put the jacks may settle a bit and the stabilizers may need tightened also.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
There is a recent thread on tripods/bi-pods. We use a bi-pod, locking-type chocks between the wheels and the rear stabilizers. The bi-pod seems to really help most with lateral sway, and some vertical "bounce".

Once I get the rig level, the between-wheel chocks installed and the rear stabilizers snugly down, I "bump" the front stabilizers "up" for about one half second. Seems to give it just a touch more stability. I install the bi-pod after that, last in the sequence. Do "snug up" the between-wheel chocks after the tires have fully cooled.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Susantr

We have the 344RET 07, I replaced the rear stabilizer with 30 inch BAL Telescopic Stabilizer, this did help. Here is a link to see what it looks like. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...er-jack-rv.htm

Larry
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Thanks, everyone, for the great information!! We're still trying out different things -- we have the "between the wheel" chocks, but on our old travel trailer, DH only put 1 on when we were parked. Now, I'll make him put both on.

Bottle jacks didn't help; a tri-pod seems a bit excessive (and pricey) for our primarily weekend camping trips (at this time), but is still an option -- I've seen the bi-pods that attach to the 5er and swing up and hook out of the way when you're pulling, but don't know if this is a good option or not. I looked at the replacement rear stabilizers suggested by Cruzin 2, and will discuss that with DH as a possibility.

One thing we did learn from this -- check the chocks and stabilizers after the wheels cool down. Something we didn't do with the travel trailer, but will put on our check list for the 5er.
Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been living in our Montana for over six years and have not been bothered by any motion. We have Roto-Choks between the wheels and have them snugged up tight. This seems to stop fore and aft movement of the rig. With the rear stabilizers down, I use the crank and snug them an extra turn. This seems to minimize the side to side motion. We do not use a tri-pod or bi-pod since we have never seen any difference using them.

You will have to spend a little as you travel to obtain what you want in comfort, but what the heck, you've got a lot of money tied up in your rig, so what's a few dollars more. Some of the full timers are having JT's Stabilizers installed which stops all motion.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Susantr, I have had a tripod from the start and it helped some - but I still had movement. I just installed the JT Stabilizers and I have the Roto Choks between the rear tires. This really stabilized the 5er. I haven't tested the tripod yet, now that I have the JT Stabilizers & Roto Choks installed. So I can't say if I "need" the tripod now or not, but I will probably continue to use the tripod until I can determine if it is still needed. Check my photos - My Mods, if you would like to see the JT Stabilizers.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Susantr: Re "I've seen the bi-pods that attach to the 5er and swing up and hook out of the way when you're pulling,", I'm not familiar with that type of device. Our bi-pod is a pretty sturdy affair, similar to the tripods, but take less room when extended out. I keep it stored in the bed of the TV while towing.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I used to tote around a bipod jack, extra screw jacks, chock locs, and the needed extra wood to place them on ... many of us do. I bought a set of JT Stabilizers and consider it one of the best improvements ever to my fiver. Aside from some up and down bounce (which will always be there) she's rock solid. No more wrestling the bipod in and out of the truck bed, no more getting out the screw jacks and building a home for them with extra wood, no more hauling around 4 or 5 separate items attempting to stem the wobble. Just drop the front and rear jacks, tensioning them as usual, then tighten the T handles on the stabilizers ... done. When you leave, loosen the T handles raise the jacks as usual, tighten the T handles ... done. Money will have to be spent, but what a return in stability and ease of operation. Although the bipods and tripods do help, on a pretty good incline as at some lakes, you can't get the jack low enough or high enough depending on which way you are situated. If you are on a rather short campsite, you can't back your pickup under the pin area if you need that extra 2 - 3 feet.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote