Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #21
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Well, ours is being replaced as we speak, @ Keystone. The problem with our countertop ('08 purchased new in Oct. '07)was chips missing on the underedge and it was slightly warped. These posts reminded me that there were instructions that tell us to run cold water as you're pouring boiling water down as it will damage your sink. I had totally forgotten that and think it will stick now that I hear of the problems. They do totally take your kitchen apart which does make us wonder how it will look in the end. The people there @ Keystone were so nice, very professional and you did feel like your trailer was in good hands. Hope everyone's kitchen is Aok after all the replacements. Seems like they are getting a lot of experience replacing them.
Paperheart

paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #22
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We had our countertop completely replaced last month at Beckley's RV Center in Thurmont, MD (where we bought the rig). It was covered by warranty. The guys completely removed the overhead cabinet, installed the new countertop, and replaced everything. They did a beautiful job. We had about 5 cracks in the countertop in various places, and no idea how they got there. We didn't have any cracks in the sink as I am really crazy about pouring anything really hot into it. The stainless steel would probably give some peace of mind when working with boiling water, etc., but I've had them before and they have their own set of issues (staining, streaking). I think it would be great if Keystone offered SS sinks as an option, though.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I think that is 2 sinks? One just has the cover on it maybe. I am looking at the "accessory" sink nozzles. Looks like they are in front of the 2nd sink?
I agree, if you look closely you can see the incert on the counter top, but if it was only one sink the placement of the faucet is in a terrable position to the right of the sink.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #24
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Were these counter tops replaced under the 1 year Keystone warranty or a warranty for the counter top. As I mentioned earlier, our 1 year warranty expired about 3 weeks before we discovered the crack. Will first try the dealer and then Team Montana if we are not able to resolve the problem.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good catch on the 2 sinks! I had to go find my glasses. With the cover on, it does make the faucets look poorly placed.

Ours was replaced by Keystone warranty. There may be additional warranty from the manufacturer, I don't know. There was a flyer in the manual, but unfortunately ours is in cold storage.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #26
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Dennis and Carol, ours was under factory warranty as we just purchased it in Oct. WE didn't notice the counter problems on our PDI but on our first trip out in it. The dealer did try to say that none of them are perfect (because they are molded)and that it would not be replaced. Wrong answer for me. Since we were taking it in (to Keystone)for repairs that were disclosed on our PDI, the Keystone people opted to replace it. Can you imagine a brand new trailer with a counter that is warped and has chips along the edges, we're just supposed to settle for that. Once the money has left your hand the story suddenly changes. We feel fortunate that we didn't have more problems than we did. You should not have to suddenly start grovelling with these people the minute you take possession of you costly item. Hopefully with our repairs all will look as good as new. Don't know what your options would be if it didn't. The people @ Keystone make it seem like they care--------paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Paperheart, I have two words for that dealership: "BAD DEALERSHIP". Get away from them and don't go back. If they pull that on you, they will do much worse if you give them the chance. There are too many good dealerships that bend over backwards to make sure their customers are happy.

The first time a salesman/tech at any dealership made a comment to me like that, would be the last time he made any comment at all to me.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The mobile service guy was here today and we should have all fixed except the counter and the springy floor in the big slide by the end of the week. That is if Keystone sends all the stuff in a timely manner. The counter crack reaches from the top inside of the right sink to the outside edge above the vacuum. It is migrating down into the sink but not fast. I will drill a stop crack hole if it gets into the main part of the sink. The service tech said he will try to get Keystone to do the repairs up there. We can work our trip schedule so we can head there around April or March. The later the better, I still hate ice and that white stuff... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #29
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Friday afternoon, I went by the dealer and he called Team Montana. They requested photos which I provided and he e-mailed them late Friday. Will check back with the dealer Monday for their decision. So far they have been very cooperative. Will let you know how we come out.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #30
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Keystone comes through again!!!! Just talked to the dealer and they approved the replacement of the counter-top and sink. After talking with them I wondered if maybe they might replace it with the new counter top material and I would pay the difference. This would also require replacing the counter-top next to the stove. I know the new material has not been out very long, but has anyone had similar problems with it? As always any help is appreciated.

Dennis
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #31
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol

Keystone comes through again!!!! Just talked to the dealer and they approved the replacement of the counter-top and sink. After talking with them I wondered if maybe they might replace it with the new counter top material and I would pay the difference. This would also require replacing the counter-top next to the stove. I know the new material has not been out very long, but has anyone had similar problems with it? As always any help is appreciated.

Dennis
It sure dosnt hurt to ask, you have nothing to loose.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #32
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Yikes--our new Montana ('07 model, 3585) also has cracks. I discovered a small chip first, when trying to wipe off what I thought was a nearly-invisible bit of dried food. Nope--not food, but a chip in the rim. I ran my hand around the sink and discovered several 1" - 3" cracks in various places, so I got the flashlight out to see just what was happening. I'm still not sure--the cracks are in unrelated areas, and there are also a few chips around the rim where that sink cover fits. Hmmmm . . . think the cover might have chipped the sink when we pulled the rig? I haven't called my dealer yet, but we are under warranty and I don't like the way the chips and cracks look. Also, I guess the sink would leak if the cracks go through the material. By the way, I never, ever put hot liquids in the sink. I also protect the sink with a rubber mat. The cracks aren't in that area anyway; they run vertically from the rim downwards. I guess I have 4 or 5 total, none very long, but still--they are noticeable. Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #33
justbeginning
Established Member

M.O.C. #7130
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

The mobile service guy was here today and we should have all fixed except the counter and the springy floor in the big slide by the end of the week. That is if Keystone sends all the stuff in a timely manner. The counter crack reaches from the top inside of the right sink to the outside edge above the vacuum. It is migrating down into the sink but not fast. I will drill a stop crack hole if it gets into the main part of the sink. The service tech said he will try to get Keystone to do the repairs up there. We can work our trip schedule so we can head there around April or March. The later the better, I still hate ice and that white stuff... Dave and Betsy
How does Montana intend to do to fix the spongy floor.Ours needs to be addressed also.Thank You
justbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #34
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
What a coincidence, we just noticed a crack on the edge of our sink today. With the wavey countertop I am not surprised that a plastic looking sink would have a problem. It looks like it needs a stainless replacement when we get home. We will have the local plummer change it and the cheap looking plastic faucets too.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #35
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
So are you telling me not to use a strainer and boiling water in the sink? I haven't used my sink since I bought our unit a couple months ago. With all of these sink problems I am worried about doing anything in the sink.lol
Come on Team Montana...tell us you have a plan of action for this problem.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #36
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Nope, don't have the sink, etc. But for whatever it is worth:

When we dump boiling water down our sinks, no matter where, or what they are made of, I run cool water down the side, not over the food being drained. I run as much or more cool water quanity wise as the hot water going down there.

I heard years ago this is a good thing for the pipes as much as the sink. Not sure it is true or not, have been doing for quite some years and as far as I can tell it does not hurt.

Son recently dumped boiling water in a sink, reportedly to unplug a block (who knows where he got the idea, I did not ask him). He has a cracked sink, which had to be replaced. Believe the sink was porcelin.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #37
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A plumber friend told me years ago to run hot water for a few minutes after doing the dishes. It helps keep the drains free of accumulation. He lost money on that deal as he has not had to come back.

I would think that the same would apply to an RV as it does to the stick house.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wayne

Water boils at 212 degrees F

Our water heaters in our RV's set around 120 to 140 degrees F

(I had to go ask Al to verify those numbers! )

So, if you run hot water from your faucet down the drain, that in most cases would be a great bit different from the boiling water we are draining from cooking, and or what my son dumped down his drain.

And, so, ole Carol will continue to run the cold water when I drain the spaghetti! mmm mmm good!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #39
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Cold water on spaghetti! NEVER!
If you cook it in a lot of salt you do not need to drain it. It will not stick together!

From DW, Gourmet Cook
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wayne,

OOO, no, don't put the cold water ON the Spaghetti, just run it down the side of the sink.

Have to be real careful with the salt, high blood pressure and all that rot, what a chore getting old, cannot eat nothing, no salt, no sugar, no fat. What do they leave us??

Crud, with the new diet I am on, I can barely eat the spaghetti, too high in carbs. BLECHHHH