Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Too Many Problems!

Ever since we purchased our 2015 Montana 3611 rl we have had nothing but problems!. Some issues are to be expected. However, everytime we take it out something breaks. This trip we are on our 2nd week. Ceiling moulding that covers rope lights came down. Entry door now has a bubble on the inside, two ceiling lights stopped working, shower door handle came off again!. This is in addition to toilet not holding water, rope lights burned out, water heater not hooked up, ceiling fan blades coming off... I HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD IT WITH THIS!. 92000 constant repair unit! I met a couple from the RENO Nevada area. They were going to go to our dealer in Reno and buy a Montana. After talking to them they will now look elsewhere. I said, if the product is a THOR INDUSTRIES product, don't walk away, run! I'm sorry for he bashing, but starting to think I'm even sorrier for the purchase...factory people at Keystone are extremely arrogant and of no help ... They say, take it to your dealer...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Well show us a non ThOR product as they pretty much own the whole market. Everything you describe is small stuff that is pretty much normal no matter what the brand if you use the trailer and tow it around the roadways. Welcome to rving.......... nothing major mechanical wise so although the small stuff can be frustrating its no big deal.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I hate to say this as I am on the same side as you are. Keystone Customer service and warranty sucks. They are a horrible company. However Keystone and many others are owned by Thor that sets their quality cost and processes. Most of the other brands are owned by Forest River. Grand Design is not owned by either as far as I can tell. I just came home from a local dealer that has been trying to get Keystone to fix my issues for weeks. We go half there with Keystone denying about a third of the isuse that were there the day I drove it off the lot bud did not catch or could not catch in a PDI.

While it does not make me feel better my last Dealer also sells Forest River. The service manager and some of his staff talked with me for about 30 minutes and they state that Forest River and Keystone are identical in poor Quality, deying warranty issues, and are extremely difficult to deal with from both a customer or a warranty dealer perspective.

So the now failry consoidated industry with 2 giants leading it now has pretty poor Quality and Warranty. BTW Thor just bought Jayco so do not wait long if you are thinking Jayco it will be in the same boat as Thor and Forest Rover soon.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There has been several Montana owners here lately that have vented frustration with their units and Keystone's distancing themselves from the customer, yet some diehard Montana owners seem to just diss it off as casual every day RV stuff. While I fully agree it is true that when buying an RV (any brand) you'd better be handy at fixing things ... I don't agree with those that just reply with "suck it up". The large trim molding covering the "eye candy" lights along the ceiling popping off and delamination on an entry door doesn't fit in my chapter of everyday occurrences. On occasion failures come and go ... dreading hooking up to your fiver in fear of the next item that breaks, falls off, or burns up gets old.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
as speedster 100 stated, these rigs take a beating on the road and I would add excessive speeds do not help, which contribute to frame flex, blowouts, etc. Just one example, fan blade screws vibrate loose. I check ours occasionally along with a myriad of other preventive maintenance checks. Certainly sorry to hear you have multiple issues piling up. Do not expect any SOB in this price point to be any better. We have occasional frustrations as well, but I am handy enough to fix/improve our rigs and our travels and experiences enjoyed more than makeup for occasional glitchs. For us the key is to not let them pile up but rather tackle them one at a.time as they crop up. Always doing the same thing with our boat as well.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

There has been several Montana owners here lately that have vented frustration with their units and Keystone's distancing themselves from the customer, yet some diehard Montana owners seem to just diss it off as casual every day RV stuff. While I fully agree it is true that when buying an RV (any brand) you'd better be handy at fixing things ... I don't agree with those that just reply with "suck it up". The large trim molding covering the "eye candy" lights along the ceiling popping off and delamination on an entry door doesn't fit in my chapter of everyday occurrences. On occasion failures come and go ... dreading hooking up to your fiver in fear of the next item that breaks, falls off, or burns up gets old.

I fully agree, and if I couldn't take my rig to the fall Rally, I'd be talking to an attorney. That said, whatever forum you go on the problems are the same, even with high dollar motor homes. That's why I'd take strong action to get the rig fixed. There really aren't better options out there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Talking to an attorney will also be of little use unless there is a class action suit. In many states the lemon laws favor the manufacturer and in some states if you bought an extended warranty the courts may say you gave away your warranty rights. I looked at some motor homes to replace my trade in and new motor homes were just as shoddy or worse than my Montana. Of course I looked at MH's made by Thor!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Keep in mind that Thor owns respected names such as Airstream, DRV (makes high end units such as Mobile Suites), K-Z, and Jayco among many others. And Forest River owns the majority of the rest. And if you follow the Open Roads forum you know that other brands (besides Montana) are frequently mentioned about their problems. Not defending Montana. Just go forward with eyes open as to possible problems with others also.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Although we are happy with our unit, we will tell anyone that it maybe our last Montana as based on what we see in the new units and heard here on the forum.

There will always be minor cosmetic issues no matter who builds an RV, but when it comes to major issues and items most RVERS cannot handle themselves, you expect a company to stand behind its product and not act like Norcold or Dometic.

We have friends who have a GD and they have said the owners who were the previous owners and founders of Keystone Montana are active and have great customer service. They love their rig and we have been in enough to see they do things right.

Maybe in a few years when we are ready for another unit things will be different at Montana and SOB's, but until then we will stick to what we have and know!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Bigboomer have you ever been the the GD Forum?, me and my friend WITH a GD Solitude have many times and yes the Owners of GD(MR. BILL) and customer service monitor the forum ,But their response to concerns and improvements are "canned" responses Like"we will pass that on to our design team " or "we appreciate your input and will look into it" Blah Blah Blah But they never improve much at GD They could at least Change their Canned responses(oh they FINALLY did put 4 step entry stairs on)SHOCKER!the Customer service person there is better on the Forum and she does ask for Vin numbers so she can look into it, Owners have complained about the Junk Furrion and Jensen TV sound systems for years(some of the owners have no idea there is better equipment on other brands) , Old school 10 inch frames No central vacs, ceiling fans.Rotten dealer network etc..etc.. on the Solitude for 4 years and they do little ,my friend just gave up going to the site ,just a different company but same B.S.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I do love lots about it... Heard however that Thor fired their quality control manager...
Old 08-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
im trying to fix stuff as it happens
Old 08-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I heard he just got a new job at Forest River or was it Grand Designs Round and Round Rv Employees go were they end up ??...another RV company of course
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dfb

I do love lots about it... Heard however that Thor fired their quality control manager...
Old 08-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #14
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Jimmy,

Thanks for the info and heads up....one thing we can all count on is that here at the MOC we look out for each other!

Like I did say, hopefully when it comes time we will find the right unit regardless of manufacturers. ...until then we are happy campers!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep,GD's Solitudes are not Bad Rv's but nothing special and they cheap out on too many things and not built better than anybody else,Alot of folks got caught up and bought into the Hype that they were the RV company that would change everything,after knowing 3 people that own Solitudes and have spent alot of time in them myself(they are nice inside) I know that is not the case or I would have bought one myself ,I tell ya one thing though if I were in the market for a mid profile 5er their Reflection line is Dang nice and they have done a good job with it and is a top contender with the Keystone Cougar
Old 08-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Do We have a Keystone Montana employee monitoring / posting on this site?
Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Fired their quality control manager, didn't know they even had one!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:10 AM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

as speedster 100 stated, these rigs take a beating on the road and I would add excessive speeds do not help, which contribute to frame flex, blowouts, etc. Just one example, fan blade screws vibrate loose. I check ours occasionally along with a myriad of other preventive maintenance checks. Certainly sorry to hear you have multiple issues piling up. Do not expect any SOB in this price point to be any better. We have occasional frustrations as well, but I am handy enough to fix/improve our rigs and our travels and experiences enjoyed more than makeup for occasional glitchs. For us the key is to not let them pile up but rather tackle them one at a.time as they crop up. Always doing the same thing with our boat as well.
What do you do when the picture board starts to peel away from the doors?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #19
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have never had to deal with that, so don't have a clue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bigskyjimmy. I agree with you. If I were to purchase another 5th wheel that is what it would be.

"I tell ya one thing though if I were in the market for a mid profile 5er their Reflection line is Dang nice and they have done a good job with it and is a top contender with the Keystone Cougar'

We have toured the Cougar plant and it looks just like the Montana plant but there is a difference.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote