Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #21
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
I took it back to the dealership service department yesterday, told them I don't want it back until the slide works. I do need it at the end of September when we head out to Tenn.

R Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have a lot of experience with hydraulics.

From your description I think you are trying to fix a problem that isn’t there.

If the dealer doesn’t have a trained hydraulic technician with some field experience they will probably do more damage than good.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #23
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

I have a lot of experience with hydraulics.

From your description I think you are trying to fix a problem that isn’t there.

If the dealer doesn’t have a trained hydraulic technician with some field experience they will probably do more damage than good.

Phil P
So I'm just imagining that my hydraulic slide will not close?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Could something be blocking this slide from closing. Putting it in a bind so it takes more pressure to close it and could that something be the cylinder itself. If the piston too tight because it's too large or the cylinder warped. If you can get to it, measure the cylinder OD in several places around it to see if its round. You will need a pair of calibers if you don't have them ask your friends. Someone should be able to come up with them. The cylinders are thin wall and it would be easy to damage one in assembly or even before.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Could something be blocking this slide from closing. Putting it in a bind so it takes more pressure to close it and could that something be the cylinder itself. If the piston too tight because it's too large or the cylinder warped. If you can get to it, measure the cylinder OD in several places around it to see if its round. You will need a pair of calibers if you don't have them ask your friends. Someone should be able to come up with them. The cylinders are thin wall and it would be easy to damage one in assembly or even before.
Lynwood
I don't think it's on a bind or block because I can let it set like over night and then try to close it and it might close just fine. or I reverse hydraulic lines on the valve block which is under the Lippert control panel and it will close.
I have a couple of friends that are maintenance in the coal mines around here and they work with hydraulic jacks all the time. they said it sounds like a check valve not opening happens often under ground just on a larger scale.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Berry View Post
So I'm just imagining that my hydraulic slide will not close?
Hi

I can’t find anywhere in your post whether or not you can hear the pump running when the slides have stopped?

Do you hear any other noises?

What temperatures are you working in?

How do you finally get the slides all the way in so you can move the trailer?

Phil P
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Berry View Post
I don't think it's on a bind or block because I can let it set like over night and then try to close it and it might close just fine. or I reverse hydraulic lines on the valve block which is under the Lippert control panel and it will close.
I have a couple of friends that are maintenance in the coal mines around here and they work with hydraulic jacks all the time. they said it sounds like a check valve not opening happens often under ground just on a larger scale.
That eliminates my concern.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #28
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I missed the post where you said you can hear the pump running even after the slides stop moving.

You need a hydraulic technician that has the test equipment to see what is happening with the pressures at the cylinder.

Too bad you are so far away I have everything needed to check that system out.

The cost of a 5,000 lb gage 2 hoses and a “T” fitting to check the pressure on the retract side of the cylinder would be under $50.

The time to make this check would be less than 1 hour.

That would send you to the correct item that is failing it would even show you if the slide was hanging up which I doubt because the other slides stop as well.

Phil P
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #29
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Friend of mine fixed similar problem on a Montana next to him in a camp ground. Bear in mind this friend can fix anything. He took the pump apart and found a piece of plastic in the fluid had hung up in the check valve. Observed the pump is a gear pump similar to oil pump in car engine.
He and I used to build drag race engines.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #30
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Auto
ASE mater auto, master machinist, master truck and 4 bus certifications.

Aircraft

A&P with IA.

Been at this for 55 years.

Phil P
Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
Being a new unit, the service department has the RV. they are going to replace the slide jack because it is leaking fluid.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #32
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Auto
ASE mater auto, master machinist, master truck and 4 bus certifications.

Aircraft

A&P with IA.

Been at this for 55 years.

Phil P
Hi Phil. I met and talked to you in 2014 at the Pigeon Forge rally. I know you know your stuff and wasn't questioning you. I was just giving another possibility.
Good hearing from you.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #33
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
I just got my 5th back yesterday from the service dealership they replaced the jack on the slide out, it seems to have fix the problem. I can now bring the bed slide in. But with that fix NOW, I have a new problem that I'm sure they created because I did not have any issues before I took the 5th to them The lippert Auto level will not work right. But I'll start a new post with that problem. STAY TUNED
Old 08-30-2017, 04:16 AM   #34
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
All is well with the slide and the leveling system,as of yesterday. I talked to Lippert and they knew what the problem was with the leveling, I had some crossed wires on the coil packs. Now everything is working for the first time since I owned this 5th wheel. But I,m still a little gun shy. It's not fun being at a campground, time to leave and a slide would close. But it is working in my driveway, so it should work in Tennessee in a few weeks on our next trip.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #35
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
IMHO - Dealers are challenged because they can't attract the best talent. If I didn't want to use the Lemon Law - might call around locally and find a full time Professional Hydraulic Shop. There is a high likelihood they might the experience the interfaces between them. Dealer/Manufacturer should be notified officially the potential to use the Lemon Law is approaching
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote