Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Fireplace

I have a new dicovery to ask about? I have used my fireplace in the montie for a few hours now that its getting cooler. I have the 3485SA. I noticed that the board above it is very hot, has anyone noticed a scorching or burning of that board? I remmember the problem above the light bar in the bathroom. I got a piece of 18Ga. sheet metal and painted it with high heat paint, them used alum. spacers 1/6" and molly screws to the ceiling, That keeps the heat off the roof, so no dicoloration. I may have to do the same above the fireplace. any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Ours gets very hot too. The wood is starting to dry out. Don't know why it is getting so hot ---- the fireplace itself isn't putting out as much heat as other's we've had. Maybe that grill thing is off a bit.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We run our fireplace anytime it is cool enough and have never had a problem with the wood getting too hot. I doubt you'd ever get so hot that it would cause a problem but better safe than sorry. Let us know what you do to fix the problem.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was told that the heat produced by the fireplace is not enough to affect the wood. We have had ours running a bunch in N. MI, NC, and even on cool nights in the winter in FL (they do have those, ya know). No problems whatsoever and I probably use mine more than the average fireplace user - hate spending money on propane...

If there is an effect on your wood that you suspect, get ahold of Keystone immediately. Not supposed to happen.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The mantle board on top of the fireplace only gets hot on mine when I leave the directional airflow gate down. If I close it, the heat and air is deflected downward toward the floor and keeps the mantle board much cooler.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I think I will have Chuck take a good luck at, what I call a grate, on the front when we get home. It might just be up side down. I've had two other Montanas and this one does not put out the heat into the room like the others did. Could be a simple fix.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote