Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
What's it called?

I've seen these dually skirts that hang from a frame attached to the receiver and I don't know what they are called to research them. Looking to see if this would be a decent gadget to have or not. Thanks for any input.

Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I thank maybe your talking about the mud flap that goes all the way across the back of the truck......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are giant mud flaps and are supposed to keep stones and road stuff from banging on the front of the camper. We have a set.. They are awkward and really don't work all that well. They are in the shed at home.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.realtruck.com/towtector_s...1730P1C1T.html (full coverage)

or these?

http://www.realtruck.com/enkay_rock_...4545P1C1T.html (partial coverage)

These are just a sample but there are several vendors and manufacturers for SRWs and DRWs. They either fit into the receiver or fit around the receiver. Is this what you mean?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks Art, that is what I was looking for. The truck shops I was looking in didn't have them and I couldn't figure out what to call them to do a search.

Rich - you say they do not work very well or are they a hassel to use? My thoughts were to just leave them on the back of the truck if possible. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
But Rick, the sooner your trailer front wears out, the sooner you can buy that new Big Sky. We mil guys can always justify an upgrade to current equipment.......lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rick, I have the Enkay on our truck. I like the fact that they are easy to remove and I only put them on when towing. They do help keep hard debris from hitting the trailer. I have towed in the rain with and without them and the spray pattern is more pronounced without them in place. But spray isn't why I have them, it's rocks and other hard objects that can cause actual damage that I fear. Like everything, there are keys to making them most effective. Keep them as low to the ground as possible (when the trailer is attached) and spaced wide enough to block anything the tire throws back. The cheapest place I found them at was Cabela's.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I've got these.

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/c...ock_Guards,917

Kind of mixed emotions, as I use them when pulling a car transport trailer as well. The flaps can be cut to length for your application. They wobbled in the wind some as the stinger is a loose fit in the receiver generally, which is much pronounced when you add the flaps to the picture. This does not exist if you have something attached to the hitch (boat, etc.). They came out with a collar that helps secure the stinger to the receiver and eliminates the wobble. However all the stingers I had weren't long enough reach to the hole for the attachment pin. I had to shop to find a stinger with the right dimensions to that hole, so the collar and the flaps would both fit. ($45.00 for the stinger when I finally found one). Works better, but resulted in flaps being a bit farther back yet from the bumper. They don't seem to stop as much debris as I want. All in all, I would say I am disappointed in the whole scheme of things. On a redo I would find a good set of permanently attached flaps. There was a thread on here a long time ago about some nice flaps available with stainless trim, that were easy to install without drilling if I recall. Application for different sizes and all 4 wheels if you wanted. Printed out the info from their website; can't find it. Have tried to find the thread with the name of that company, but I haven't had much luck.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks for the input. I've seen them used while in Alaska and really liked the idea. I had a class A before this and had the skirt on the rear to protect the tow car and it worked great. I haven't had any issues with stuff being through up on the rig but there is alway the first time. Looks like something I might add to my want list.

Hope all have a safe New Year.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I have the Enkay Rock Tamers and they are pretty nice. Got them from Costco.com for $180 shipped.

I will say it took some extra effort to get them to fit without wobbling around, to stay put, and be rock solid. If you mount them up per the instructions, they will wobble around a lot.

First thing that I did was to take the casting that fits around the ball mount tube and file off the castings draft angle. This is so it will fit flat against the sides of the ball mount and not rock back and forth when the casting bolts are tightened. Before I did this, no matter how I tightened it to the ball mount, it would wiggle around and become loose after a while.

With this done, the only wobble left was from the slop between the receiver and ball mount itself. I tried using a hitch pin to mount the flap assembly to the truck, and it still had too much play for my liking. So I decided to bolt it up to the receiver instead of using a hitch pin. I made two metal straps (5/8" x 1-1/2" x 6") that fit inside the tube of the ball mount. These have a 5/8"-11 tapped hole in each that lines up with the hitch pin holes in the receiver. Then, I torqued a 5/8-11 bolt & lock washer from one side of the receiver to 125 ft/lbs, and the other side to 50 ft/lbs.

No more wobble!

It's not as convenient when it comes to removing and installing the assembly from the truck now, but for the advantage of not having them flopping around, I think it is worth the extra effort.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are, to me, hassle to deal with, They fit loose in the hitch. We had them for our TT and they did seem to keep the stones away. We have not use them on the 3400 and we do not have any stone damage???? Like KTmanic said "I will say it took some extra effort to get them to fit without wobbling around, to stay put, and be rock solid. If you mount them up per the instructions, they will wobble around a lot."
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like the loose fit hitches need something like this:

http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

It's about $30 and I don't know if there are any weight concerns - the weight of the load affecting how tight the device stays. There are other "anti-wobble" devices were out there but look like they are harder to use. However, this one does need a wrench to fasten the tighteners.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote