Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Wet Carpets In Corner Of Large Slide Out

I have a 2006 Montana 3400RL. I have noticed that the carpet in the corners of the large slide are wet. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Everything on the outside looks sealed and it does not appear that there is a leak from above. Could it be condensation?? I live in New England where the humidity is high, but I run a de-humidifier to keep the moisture to a minimum. Any help would be welcomed.

dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first thing I would check is to see if the weep holes at the bottom of the window frames are clogged. If it is from condensation the only way I would see to be sure is to check the windows themselves when it is in a high humidity situation. Do you have slide awnings installed as well?? If not, there have been reported problems on the top of the large slides with drooping that requires a fix by installing additional supports. I seem to remember some MOCers had this fix done at the factory at Goshen. I would also check the rubber seals around the slides and make sure they are folding properly when the slide is extended. I hope some of these will help you out in finding the problem, keep us informed.
Bingo
on edit: ...and welcome to the forum!!!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
I guess the question is, how wet are the carpets? I have a 2006 Mountanieer, while in Alaska, last year with a lot of rain, we got real wet carpets at the corner near the dining table. When it stopped raining for a few days I got a patch on the edge of the slide corner where chalking is. It seemed to stop the wetness. Once home it went to the dealer, which was no real help. I re-did all the chalking on the top of the slide, and have been dry ever since. Don't know if this is your problem, but it worked for me.

Good Luck, Lee
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Take a look under the slide . There is a gasket that runs along the bottom of the slide.. check it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Thank you for the suggestions. Checked the weep holes and they are clear. The seals are folding properly. There is a droop on the top of the slide and I do not have slide awnings. Not sure how the droop will cause it to leak in the corners only. It is the corners towards the outside of the slide. Seems as though if it is caused by the droop that the inside corners would be wet. I am thinking out loud, I may not be accurate in my assumptions.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Is it both corners that have the wet carpet?? Another idea, if you have a helper there to assist and have had rainy weather that you may suspect causes the leak, spray the slide completely with water and see if you can make the leak more noticeable. If it has not been raining at all, and the floor is still wet, then the only rational explanation would be condensation since there is no water source (lines) on that side of the rig. The only other thing that I can think of (other than the gasket Rich mentioned) would be the electrical outlet on the outside of the slide if yours has one at that location. Again, trying to help but may be fetching at straws.
Bingo
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Yes both corners are wet. It has been happening for some time in one corner. Just happened to notice the one under the couch. The carpet was almost black with mold. Luckily I had the motivation to move the couch to clean. Thank you for your help. It may just be that the seams need recaulking. I will get up on the roof in the a.m.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Someone else had this problem, and it turned out to be at the bottom edge of the slide all along the side of the slide. The trim piece was allowing seepage as rain water would run down the sides of the slide between it and the wall itself. I think they had to remove the trim piece and re-seal the area and re-attach the trim.

Not sure if this is a clear description for you or not.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
i dont know if its your problem, but i had the same problem with mine. carpet stayed wet right under the windows, but was no sign of it ever leaking from the windows. it liked to have run me nuts till i finally found the trouble. at the bottom of the slide sides is a horizontal trim thats chaulked. under the trim is screws that fasten to the floor. mine had backed out enough that it would wick water by the threads.tightened them up and rechaulked it and it never leaked again. just dont go as long as i did cause it finally ruined my floor. dave.
aaadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I found a leak on the top of the slide there is roofing tape covering a seam and screws,mine had a tear in the corner of the slide letting water in.I ordered a roll of roofing tape to go over the old one,I'm not going to try to remove the old one.
I use my Monty about 10 month a year so I guess I can expect this on a Monty that is a 2005.
I'm not ready to buy a new yet(too cheap)I'm waiting for keystone to stop using Mission tires.I was one of the lucky one and got Tacoma tires on mine.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
garyka

Topic drift:

Time to buy a new trailer, not using Mission tires now.

Happy shopping.

End topic drift.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Is this with the slides in? or out? I parked mine on the street... my streets slope a little from the middle downward very slighlty. It rained and water came in through the slides while closed. Solved the problem by leveling out the trailer. Make sure your trailer is level. The slightest incline and water will come in.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Solved the problem. After using a hose and running in various places on the RV to try to reproduce the leak, I found that the water that runs off the roof of the slide, runs down the side of the slide where the screws are holding the molding in place. After removing one of the screws I found there was no sealant used on the screws. (the screws holding the top molding in place all had sealant) Figure that one out. I removed each and every screw on all my slides and injected caulk and replaced the screw and sealed the heads. No more leaks.... Thank you all for directing me in the correct directions.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Glad you got the problem fixed and glad you told us how. In the future, others will know a more particular place to look as well. The value of the forum is immense.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
We had a similar problem too but I narrowed down the source of the leak to the window at the front of the slide. I have a temporary seal across the top of the window (love that duct tape!). As soon as I put the tape up, the floor never got wet again. That tape is still there doing a great job. I still need to pull the window out to see exactly why it was leaking.

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is offline   Reply With Quote