Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Propane System

We had a little issue with the propane last night and wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

About a week and a half ago I re-filled the tank on the door side of the coach which was empty. The opposite side tank closest to the regulator was still about 3/4 to half full so I left it alone.

I put the full tank back on the door side and turn it on.

Last night my DW called when on my way home from work and said she had no gas (and was upset that she would not have dinner ready). I had her check the regulator to see what color the indicator was and she said red. Now I know we run the frig and water heater on gas and she does use the stove and oven for cooking but I thought that no way could we be out of gas in 10 days.

Well I got home and sure enough the door side tank was still full and the opposite side tank was empty. Now why did the regulator not switch over to the full tank?

Was there something I needed to do when putting the full tank back on line?

I switched the full tank to the opposite side and switched the regulator valve to that tank which has a shorter hose and all is fine now. Sue will fill the other tank up today and will hook up it up later.

When changing tanks do you need to purge the lines? never had this issue with SOB because we did not have a split tank system and had to manually switch over the tanks when one was full (and you know it was always at 2 in the morning when that needed to be done!)

Thanks,

Les

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Smarter folks than I will be along in a few, but the new tank valves need to be opened slowly so they don't think there's a leak and shut down. Many of the BBQ grill manufacturers have large warnings about that since their getting perfectly good units back saying the regulator is bad. Just a thought.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Les,
I am with Dick on this one. The issue you are describing has happened to me too many times to count. The new OPD valves in today's modern tanks are designed to shut off in the event the propane lines are severed. In the past we would simply open the tank valve and walk away, but today's OPD valves sense the sudden rush to fill the empty propane line as a catastrophic leak and shuts down the flow (ARRRGH!)

To avoid the described behavior I put my ear against the tank and slooooooooowly open the valve till I hear the hiss of propane going into the line, after about 1 or 2 minutes the line equalizes and you can open the valve all the way. If you go too fast you will hear a click (which means the shutoff has engaged) and you will need to close the valve and start over.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kylec2

Les,
I am with Dick on this one. The issue you are describing has happened to me too many times to count. The new OPD valves in today's modern tanks are designed to shut off in the event the propane lines are severed. In the past we would simply open the tank valve and walk away, but today's OPD valves sense the sudden rush to fill the empty propane line as a catastrophic leak and shuts down the flow (ARRRGH!)

To avoid the described behavior I put my ear against the tank and slooooooooowly open the valve till I hear the hiss of propane going into the line, after about 1 or 2 minutes the line equalizes and you can open the valve all the way. If you go too fast you will hear a click (which means the shutoff has engaged) and you will need to close the valve and start over.
Nice....just got to love all the "new" safety features that are imposed on us....And ARRRGH...it is National Talk Like a Pirate Day!

So the Bird says.....NO!

Guess I will try this new way of opening up the tanks....Or maybe I will have my Beeautiful Lass walk the plank to the tank and try it!

Tanks Matie!