Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
didn't work

Well i tried. I read somewhere that if you place a valve (flush king) on the end of your sewer line you could get both gray tanks to fill at the same time. Just keep the flush king closed and open both gray water tanks. This would let shower water transfer to the galley tank. This would give you a lot more holding capacity for the shower. Maybe at the end of the season I'll get under there and do some plumbing.

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Well i tried. I read somewhere that if you place a valve (flush king) on the end of your sewer line you could get both gray tanks to fill at the same time. Just keep the flush king closed and open both gray water tanks. This would let shower water transfer to the galley tank. This would give you a lot more holding capacity for the shower. Maybe at the end of the season I'll get under there and do some plumbing.

kevin
Kevin, you don't need a Flush King. Just the valve portion which you can purchase separately. I know you know that; I just thought I'd chime in.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I took the brilliantly designed Montana sewer pipe storage unit off and put a termination slider valve on the end of the sewer line. It will hook on, but to be safe, I secured it with yellow ABS cement. The sewer cap then fits on the end of the termination valve.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I was going to cut the sewer pipe and glue or thread a valve on the end. Then I saw a flush king and figured It would come in handy if I needed to fill and flush a tank for whatever reason. I got all pumped up went out to the monty put the FK on filled the shower tank . I shut the water off and opened the shower holding tank. Then reached over and opened the galley valve. Now this should have been the exciting part, watching the two tanks equalize......................and nothing. I guess the two tank aren't connected. So I see some plumbing mods coming up.

kevin
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Kevin,
The flush King should do the same as my master dump valve which I cut and glued onto the end of the 3" discharge pipe. I was going to tell you to do what you posted in your first post.
I would put the flush king back on and open one gray valve at a time and see if each drain. If they do then close the flush king and both tanks should level with usage.
My only thought on not leveling is if the tanks are full enough to block the roof vent pipe and causing an air lock. I am just thinking out loud.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
This is all you need!

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
On ARJ post, that's what I have, kind of. The one i have has a clear piece out the other side. I do know both gray tanks dump, I checked that out. Mr. Kohl may be on to something, I did have my shower tank very full. But that also puzzled me, with all the pressure one would think it would gush to the empty tank. Maybe I need to wait longer for them to equalize. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input, Kevin
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
with the galley drain line going uphill to the holding tank,it may never equalize. The path of least resistance will be the shower floor drain way before it travels up to the galley tank.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:

On ARJ post, that's what I have, kind of. The one i have has a clear piece out the other side. I do know both gray tanks dump, I checked that out. Mr. Kohl may be on to something, I did have my shower tank very full. But that also puzzled me, with all the pressure one would think it would gush to the empty tank. Maybe I need to wait longer for them to equalize. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

How would you know if water got over to the galley tank? As long as both tank valves are open, water should get into the galley tank unless the outlet pipe is too high. However, as I said-how would you know.

I hope you are not relying on the tank indicators to tell. If you are, Peter Pan and the tooth fairy are just a hop, skip & jump away!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Also something to remember is that water seeks its own level. so if the tank are level, ok. If one is higher than the other or smaller could be looking at an overflow problem. The most I have heard about doing this procedure is that it gives you alittle more space by just filling the drain pipes and not equilizing the tanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Quote:

How would you know if water got over to the galley tank? As long as both tank valves are open, water should get into the galley tank unless the outlet pipe is too high. However, as I said-how would you know.

I hope you are not relying on the tank indicators to tell. If you are, Peter Pan and the tooth fairy are just a hop, skip & jump away!
Well I do rely on my tank indicators. As far as I know thats the only thing that helps with how much water is in any given tank. Do I think their 100% accurate NO. But when an indicator starts at one light and than moves to the next after a few uses and to the next, you following me on this. Well at the four light I'm pretty sure I need to do something.
As far as the fictional characters you refer to, I'll let the young nieve kids have their fun with them. Thanks for your help in your original post about the valve I should have at least that was informative.

kevin
Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Well, ok. To each his own. The only way to check that water is getting into both tanks as far as I know is to:

1. Empty both galley and gray water tanks. Leave valves open.
2. Close external valve on sewer outlet.
3. Fill gray water tank until there is standing water in shower.
4. Close gray water tank valve.
5. Open external valve which will empty galley tank and listen.

This will at least let you know that water is getting into the galley tank while both tank valves are open but you will not know how much
unless you empty the water from the galley tank into some sort of container. Really BIG container!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
got it to work. I put the flushking on and opened both gray water tanks. I let the water run into to shower and waited for it to back up into the shower. The tank level display went to four lights. I let the water run for about 5 more minutes and the gray galley tank started to fill. I let it fill to 2/3 and shut everything off.

Thanks everybody for the input,

kevin