Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Monty hardy enought?

With all the different forums saying that there are only two or three x-brands of rvs that are capable of full timing, I thought I would ask the mocers that full time in a Monty if they have had a lot of problems or not. Since our full timing is getting awful close now I wanted some input on this question. Thank You Jack,Janet &Koko

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Wagonmaster, Up until my recent bad luck we have been full timing in our Montana for a little over Two years. It has served us well we have not had very many problems and thoes that we did we were able to fix with little effort. I don't think you could go wrong choosing a Montana/mountaineer. Good luck on what ever you choose.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not use my coach full time, but do use it 7 months a year at the lake. I am at the lake usually 4 or 5 days a week and have had many family and friends stay as well. I have not had any "major" problems with my coach and if and when the time comes that I can "full time" I will not think twice about it being in a Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been full timing in our 04 2955RL since October 18th 2003. In that time we have set up and broke down in 69 CGs and a few other times moving around within the CG and twice at the Montana service center for the shower door.
In those 2+years and 75+ set ups we have yet to have our first problem. The only true problem we have had was the dragging shower door which I ended up fixing myself. When we decide to trade or upgrade it will be another Montana.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We are probably the newest people who full time on this site. Our only problem we have had has been with which tank our W/D drains in. Still haven't figured it out, just leave both drains open. Easier that way. Will find out in the spring when we go back north.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
We have been full time since July 05 and love it. Our monty has had a few problems, not anything that couldn't go wrong on any other RV. We love our monty but what is more important is your dealer. You can have the best most expensive RV in town but if your dealer isn't good to work with you can be miserable.The other thing is the MOC we love it and learn something new every day. My brother has an expensive motorhome but would love a web site like MOC. We are very happy with our monty and after looking at hundreds of RV's are glad we chose Montana.
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Been fultiming since May. Or is it longer. Covered 24 states. 17000 miles. Never in one place more than 11 days. We intend to slow down. Most major problems were my stupid mistakes.

We think of Montyas a luxury efficiency apartment that we can relocate. For the price, I have not found a better unit, but I really like the Cardinals. Very similar sizes, floor plans, etc. but down one level in luxury and price.

My dealer has been great. Keystone has been marginal but is improving. It was the same in 1972 for service and support on my Winnebego. From all indications, service and support are the achilles heel in the RV industry.

Having been a jack of all trades engineer has helped ny sanity a lot but I would not go back to a stick house for at least another year, maybe more. I am living my dream and on a lot less money than if I tried to fly, etc. and live in motels.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
We've been fulltime for over 3 years and have towed our Montana for nearly 20,000 miles over all kinds of roads and weather. The only problem we've had was with the AC and that was replaced at no cost to us after the warranty expired. No complaints from us about the trailer, the dealer or Keystone. Even though it's not rated as a fulltime RV, thus far it has served us well.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Dear Wagonmaster, Our Montana has about all but come completely apart with frame flex and other problems. When we took it to the factory to fix it, had 48 other write-ups. Had eight more since and the refrigerator died a few days ago and then a pin broke on the main S/O connecting rod(we're in Mexico, so no handy repair facility--fixed the S/O, but will have to use the refer as an icebox).

Think your question is answered by Montana in their owners manual which you get after purchase. Montana says that they are not designed for fulltiming. Our experience says that they are correct!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wagonmaster, I can give you a little different perspective (we are preparing to FT, the others here are already FTing. My wife and I are going to FT starting at the end of May '06. We have been looking at RVs for two years. This spring we narrowed things down to 5vers. We then narrowed this down even further in July to the Montana line.

Basically, the main and biggest reason, we are chosing a Montana (3400RL) is VALUE! While it is not "rated" to be a FT 5ver, If you study it's construction and talk to fellow MOCers, it is easy to see that FTing in a Montana is definitely doable.

Now at $40-$45K for a Montana, let's look at the "FT" 5vers: First, lets take a look at the spec sheet. It's pretty obvious that even a 1 ton dually is going to be out of the question for a tv. "What's in YOUR wallet?", to coin a currently popular commercial on TV. You are now looking at a MDT ($$$ - even used). Added expense most people don't take into account while getting excited over the prospect of FTing and running through every 5ver in 20 counties.

Now let's take a look at these "Super" 5vers. First thing you will notice is that most have the EXACT same floorplan as of the Montana models, only with granite/Corian counter tops, real wood (Oak) flooring and cabinets, fancy brand name funiture that looks just like the furniture in the Montana - unless you get real close, very fancy (read: heavy) materials, basement that hangs a little lower (a little more room), and HEAVY. Is there some options on the Monaco that are not available on the Montana, BUT, that a FTer can live in a 5th wheel WITHOUT? DEFINITELY!!!

Dave (Montana Sky) did some research and priced a full blown Carriage/Royals International 38' Monaco w/ options (no one orders a stripped down 5ver to FT in - or any other use, actually). Base was $167K w/ the basic options most of us get on our Montana pushing the retail to $253K. Is there little better insulation and a bigger basement? Yes. Is it the same floor plan as most Montanas (Carriage does have a dual lavatory in their top model, which I happen to think is very cool), is the Montana easier to pull with an affordable tv? Yes. Does the Carriage have better insulation? Yes. Are there some who live in their Montana in northern climes in the middle of winter (and around the fringes)? Yes. Can I live in a Montana and shore up it's defense against inclement weather? Yes.

Is the $43K Montana and the $253K Monaco both able to be lived in year round? Yes.

Montana is the largest selling RV 5th wheel in the US. Keystone, while not perfect, would be ranked at the top of the heap in RV service after the sale. They have to be doing something right.

Is the $253K Monaco a beautiful unit? Yes, and until I win PowerBall, it will stay right where it is - on the dealers lot - while I drive around in my $43K Montana, that I have no doubt will serve as a beautiful, movable home come next May.

MOC forum is invaluable and seals the deal for me.

Again, speaking for me... my MAIN reason for FTing in a Montana is

*VALUE* *VALUE* *VALUE*

And the competition is not even close in this respect.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
1st, I don't see it a a problem. although we aren't FT. we do camp alot and for the past few years it's been FT at a seasonal site. I think alot of it is how you want to use it. some people who say there is only 3 choices....well if it is going to be set up and never moved (like a park model) that's one thing, but other than that, I think it's just fine.the main thing is matching your wants and needs with a floor plan that will work for you. for instance we have the front LR. and many people don't like that....enough where they stopped making it I'm told.....but it works for us just fine!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Wagonmaster, I can give you a little different perspective (we are preparing to FT, the others here are already FTing. My wife and I are going to FT starting at the end of May '06. We have been looking at RVs for two years. This spring we narrowed things down to 5vers. We then narrowed this down even further in July to the Montana line.

Basically, the main and biggest reason, we are chosing a Montana (3400RL) is VALUE! While it is not "rated" to be a FT 5ver, If you study it's construction and talk to fellow MOCers, it is easy to see that FTing in a Montana is definitely doable.

Now at $40-$45K for a Montana, let's look at the "FT" 5vers: First, lets take a look at the spec sheet. It's pretty obvious that even a 1 ton dually is going to be out of the question for a tv. "What's in YOUR wallet?", to coin a currently popular commercial on TV. You are now looking at a MDT ($$$ - even used). Added expense most people don't take into account while getting excited over the prospect of FTing and running through every 5ver in 20 counties.

Now let's take a look at these "Super" 5vers. First thing you will notice is that most have the EXACT same floorplan as of the Montana models, only with granite/Corian counter tops, real wood (Oak) flooring and cabinets, fancy brand name funiture that looks just like the furniture in the Montana - unless you get real close, very fancy (read: heavy) materials, basement that hangs a little lower (a little more room), and HEAVY. Is there some options on the Monaco that are not available on the Montana, BUT, that a FTer can live in a 5th wheel WITHOUT? DEFINITELY!!!

Dave (Montana Sky) did some research and priced a full blown Carriage/Royals International 38' Monaco w/ options (no one orders a stripped down 5ver to FT in - or any other use, actually). Base was $167K w/ the basic options most of us get on our Montana pushing the retail to $253K. Is there little better insulation and a bigger basement? Yes. Is it the same floor plan as most Montanas (Carriage does have a dual lavatory in their top model, which I happen to think is very cool), is the Montana easier to pull with an affordable tv? Yes. Does the Carriage have better insulation? Yes. Are there some who live in their Montana in northern climes in the middle of winter (and around the fringes)? Yes. Can I live in a Montana and shore up it's defense against inclement weather? Yes.

Is the $43K Montana and the $253K Monaco both able to be lived in year round? Yes.

Montana is the largest selling RV 5th wheel in the US. Keystone, while not perfect, would be ranked at the top of the heap in RV service after the sale. They have to be doing something right.

Is the $253K Monaco a beautiful unit? Yes, and until I win PowerBall, it will stay right where it is - on the dealers lot - while I drive around in my $43K Montana, that I have no doubt will serve as a beautiful, movable home come next May.

MOC forum is invaluable and seals the deal for me.

Again, speaking for me... my MAIN reason for FTing in a Montana is

*VALUE* *VALUE* *VALUE*

And the competition is not even close in this respect.
Excellant post Dave and I agree 100%. Our Montana is our first Montana but it will not be our last. I think that even if I had won the lottery it would still be a Montana with all the bells and whistles available. The high end rigs are very nice but way to heavy and I don't want to give up my 2500HD D/A (well maybe a 3500 D/A SRW) There is no way I would want an MDT. Too big for most parking lots unless you want to park a 1/2 mile away.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree 100% with not wanting to give up a PRACTICAL daily driver, Glenn. The difference in fuel cost between a MDT and a 2500/3500 makes me wince. I got into a discussion on another forum regarding MDTs as as daily driver. The guy said his wife loved driving it and that once I got used to it I'd love it. I'm sure I'd have fun driving it. It's just that the annual difference in fuel would not justify my fun. Also the parking that you mentioned, Glenn. Also, so much for any of your "drive through" activities... never again. ATMs, McD's, anywhere. What happens if you need to go to the bank after the lobby is closed? "Excuse me, sir... could I borrow your car to go to the bank?" He probably think you were going to do a bank job!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have been FT since Jan 04 and we love it. we don't have many miles on the RV but my wife does not want to go back to a stick house. We have had very little problems, the heater circuit board went out about 1 mo ago.We are still working the winter issues, we live in Colorado springs Co. I still am working for a few years and then on the road. If I need a new RV at this time it will be a Montana. And we love the front living room sorry to see it go.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:12 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

The guy said his wife loved driving it and that once I got used to it I'd love it. I'm sure I'd have fun driving it.
Don't know where he got "once I got used to it I'd love it". I drove MDT's, not RVing but cargo trailers, and I never loved it. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy driving but I enjoy driving my 2500HD for both towing and as a daily driver much more than I would ever love driving an MDT.
Lorraine has never pulled the Monty and probably never will. But on a daily basis Lorraine would much rather drive an Impala but she realizes we need a TV and is happy with our present TV. But, there is absolutely NO WAY that she would even consider driving an MDT much less buying one.

One last point to be made...Truth be known Montana does not recommend full timing in the Montana for liability reasons. Montana knows full well that many of us full time in their rigs and they still cover us warranty wise and in some cases beyond warranty expiration dates.

Jack,Janet &Koko, Stay with the Montana as you get into full timing. You won't regret it!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We went full time June 24, 2005 and have put 16,500 miles on and in it since then. We love it and everyone that comes in loves it including owners of the Teton Grand that they pull with a Peterbuilt Truck. Our troubles have been zilch.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Here is a link to a rig that I thought folks who like MDT or larger might just like.
http://www.cowboycadillac.com/Int44004.jpg
http://www.cowboycadillac.com/WC4500-04.jpg
http://www.cowboycadillac.com/BENZHAULER3.jpg
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Nice, but can you go "two-tracking" with them??? What do you think... 20 to 21 mph??? And how about, "Hold the pickle and mustard and light on the catsup, please"??? (Cheryl's order)

Don't get me wrong, I think these are really beautiful rigs. But I'm still with Glenn... I want my 4x4 pickup.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We probably will not full time but we will certainly long time.We intend to put a lot of miles on whatever Montana we get (since they discontinued the 3670RL) IMHO the only other units that were comparable witn the Montana was the Pilgrim Open Road and the Cardinal.We would have felt comfortable with either of them IF they had the floor plan and counter space that Helen approved. I think that when you look at the BIG picture..Value,Customer service, even Quality(as poor as it is in the Rv industry) Keystone/ Montana stands above the others and no one has a forum like this one not even Rv net open roads forum..which is a good one but MOC is unique. We will expect assembly defects in our Montana..we have confidence that they will be repaired.We are also confident that after 4 years of Plant tours. Interrogating dealers and manufactures and inspecting scores of Rv's top to bottom we will have made the proper choice with Montana...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been fulltiming for just short of 33 months and about 40,000 miles. We would not hesitate to do it again with a Montana. We have not been without problems. Those that relate to your question --

1. We wore out the shackles, the spring hangers. Keystone replaced them with the newer ones at no charge to us despite our rig being 3 years old, well out of warranty. They have gone to stronger shackles after hearing about a shackle problem in this forum. I would not expect the newer ones to have this problem.

2. We've had some freezing problems with our water lines in temperatures as high as 12 or 13 degrees Fahrenheit. We've done some things to eliminate that on our 2003 model. Keystone read about these problems that some of us had and made some changes. When we did the factory tour last May they told us they have moved the water lines to up just under the floor where they get the most heat in the belly and they do not touch the metal frame (they touch on ours and that's one of two places we froze up). The other place we froze up was the low point drains hanging below the rig on ours. I heat taped those and stopped that problem. Keystone moved the low point drains on the newer models to inside the basement storage area. That area gets some heat and this keeps them from freezing.

This is our third Nov/Dec in the Kansas City area in this rig. We've had temperatures down to minus 5. This winter we've had temp down to minus 3 and several days with highs in the low to mid teens. The furnace does an excellent job of keeping us comfortable inside the coach, although it will use considerable propane doing so.

This is just our experience but I'm convinced this is the best rig for us and I'm very pleased with how Keystone has addressed problems pointed out in this forum. Plus how they've taken care of their customers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote