Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When they call...and call, and call

When you don't pay your bills they call to collect. When you have great credit they call to sell you stuff. Sometimes they call to ask you dumb stuff. I think sometimes they know how much it infuriates me and they call to just irritate me.
I get the first greeting, "Is this James?" NOBODY calls me James, so I just slam the phone down. If they sound remotely like it is someone I do business with I politely answer around 2 or maybe 3 questions, then I slam the phone down. If they get right to the subject matter by talking quickly, I tell them "Not interested" then slam the phone down. I might mutter something about them at that time. I almost always mutter about invading my privacy.
I know that's their job and all that, but it still really pi##*% me off.
What do you folks do?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Ozz,
Did you register on the do not call list?
It won't stop all but about 90%. https://www.donotcall.gov/
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tell them to put me on the no call list, rather, insist they do so.

THEN, HANG UP!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
As soon as I realize it's one of those calls I politely say "can you hold for just a second" and put the phone down. I wait untill it starts beeping and then hang it up. I've been getting fewer calls lately.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If I don't recognize the name on caller ID, I usually don't answer and let the answering machine get it. If important, they can leave a message.
If the name shows up repeatedly, I will finally answer and immediately tell them to put me on their do not call list.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I dont answer the land line.Used mostly for fax's.If they need to call me they have my cell # I tried the do not call list and 98% of the time the DW answers the land line it is some form of solitation.I am seriously thinking about saying BYE to the old land line.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I also use call screening on our answering machine. Very effective.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
Jimmy Womack
Established Member

M.O.C. #10963
Call #1 Politely remind them I am on Texas & national No-Call lists and to please remove me from thier call list
Call #2 Curtly tell them I am on No-Call lists and DEMAND they not call again
Call #3 Be rude and aggressive
Call #4 Do as much %*&$(*%&(@*&&$ as I can before THEY hang up
Call #5 Usually does not happen after #4
Jimmy Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ozz, We got Panasonic cordless phones that "speak" the caller ID. That way I don't even have to get up to know/hear that it is "Unavailable" or "Out of Area" or one of the kids or a neighbor. Very helpful screening tool. No stress.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
If I even pick up the phone (I love caller ID), I skip all that polite B.S. and slam the phone down first.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I had a window salesperson calling regularly. One day she called again and said we are from so and so and on and on and on. I listened till she was done and I then said OK, I have listened to your speach now you can listen to mine if you don't mind. She said OK, and I raced cars for 31 yrs and was always seeking sponsorship for racing. I commenced to tell her I wanted her windows, doors and roof replaced. Not a problem. But of course it will be paid for by the advertising on my race car. She promptly went into uhmmm, well uhmmmmmm, I will have to talk to my husband. I then said I got ya didn't I. She said yes, and I said either deliver the merchandise or please do NOT call. She obliged lol..............Haven't heard from them since
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
My favorite line is when they ask for Ken, I tell them he's in prison. That usually stops them cold!! Of course, I only do that when Ken is there listening...so I can get a reaction from him as well!! What's that Flip Wilson line...."The devil made me do it!!"
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I ask for the callers name and company he works for. Then I tell them I'm on the Do Not Call List and I'm compiling a list of people and companies who ignore the list for a class action law suit that my brother in law atty is dying to represent.
End of all Calls.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I live so far out in the boonies, and there are so few people around here to talk with, I try to engage them in surpurfilous B S. It's their nickel and some times I have nothing else pressing to be doing. Most times I never hear from them again.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Get rid of the land line! We were getting many many calls on the land line. So about 5 or 6 years ago we simply got rid of our land lines! No more calls. Actually that's not completely the story. During political times we do get a few political call or two. But we've found that using the cell phones has reduced our unwanted calls to a very acceptable level.

Thought there might be some negative problems with getting rid of our land lines but we've had absolutely no problem using ONLY cell phones. We ported our long time land line HOME phone number over to one of our cell phones.

The reason we got rid of the land lines was simply that we found we were traveling about 6 months of the year. This meant we were paying for a phone line that we didn't use half of the year! At the same time we got rid of our DSL data line for the same reason. We switched over to the Hughes Net for the internet connection. We have since then dropped our Hughes Net and gone to a USB Aircard. Recently we switched to the Verizon MiFi.

The best way to get rid of the excessive sales calls is to simply get rid of your land lines!

Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
DW and I get these kinds of calls on our cellphones, too! Our numbers have been on the DO NOT CALL lists for a long time. The biggest problems with these are that they are automated calls, so you can't interrupt them up explain NOT to call and if you hang up, they just call again later. What has worked is that you let them finish, then call back the business or whatever and then tell them about the DO NOT CALL lists. 100% you get the ignorance on the other side, "We didn't know, but we'll put you on our do not call list". There should NOT be a different list. The Federal one is the only one that counts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #17
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
With all that "phone slamming" do you find yourself buying replacement phones???LOL
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha, I slam to the precise point of just before it breaks..
We need the land line for the alarm system monitoring and the Company fax machine, as well as the AT&T U-Verse, or I would dump it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We just bought a new set of Panasonic phones and it has a feature built in to block calls. When you receive an unwanted call just enter it into the block and presto, no more from that number. It only holds 30 of the blocked numbers though.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Well first off when I was younger I got into some money troubles and this is how my wife and I took care of it.

1)"Look sir I only have so much money a month right now.So what we do is put all our bills in a fish bowl and draw bills until the money is gone. IF you don't stop calling I am gonna have to take your bill out of the fish bowl."

2)If they ask by last name, like "Is Mr. So and So there?" I would usually give my 2year old boy the phone and tell him to let the nice man know what he would like for his birthday.

3)Or a personal favorite story was when someone called to get us to subscribe to a magazine and my wife explained to him politely that we could'nt read. After a brief pause he said sorry and hung up.

I guess what I am trying to say is no matter if its bill collectors(hard times) or solicitation (good times) you HAVE to have fun with them.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote