Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Protection While Traveling

What Measures have you folks taken to protect yourselves while traveling? Do you feel it's necessary to carry a weapon....?

Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Some do, some don't. What ever floats your boat. You will probably get some strong opinions both ways. We won't say, but I was a Boy Scout.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I am in the market for a new 9mm right now, the one I carried for 25 years was taken in a breakin in Mesa Az. last month, along with a lot of jewelery, camera and other stuff. They didnt take my shotgun though, probably didnt want to get seen carring it through the gated, security controled, RV Resort Park "Silveridge".
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I do have a license to carry a concealed weapon in Ohio and a couple other States that are recognized in a total of 32 states.I do have the proper training in the care and safety of firearms. I make no comments on the hazards that exist in our society and the harm that can come to average folk like us by people who would do us harm for little or no reason.
Do I approve of a armed society..No..Do I think it is NECESSARY to carry a firearm in the camper,with some reservations...No.
Do we have one in our camper..We are sport shooters, have been for many, many years.Some folks like to play golf or tennis..I like to go to a range and target shoot. You just might find a firearm about.In case you are wondering..although I have a concealed carry permit we have NEVER carried one..We will have a alarm system installed in the camper for protection..but we DO have a backup system...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
William,
Sorry to hear about the break-in. It's a shame that we should have to put up with random crime such as this. It seems to be an accepted additive in our society today. If the laws were stricter, we wouldn't have to carry guns. But, that would put all the lawyers out of business.
Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
We just take along Rudy the attack cat.

I take my hand gun when traveling, but not because I feel threatened in the campground but because I worry about a potential burglar breaking into our home and putting it on the street. I started taking it when our kids were teens. I was really worried about one of their friends snooping around in our absence and doing something stupid.
I guess if we camped in none populated areas I would feel safer will it and would most likely stow one of my shotguns.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would say do what makes your feel most comfortable while on the road. It is a personal decision that you and only you can make.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Laws, strict or not, will not protect you and yours. You are the final and only source of ANY protection, whatever it may be. Law enforcement officers [and the courts], no matter how well meaning, concerned or capable, are enforcers of laws [also a Supreme Court decision], not our protectors, there are not enough of them and if there were, we would be living in a police state. They are reactive because they cannot see into the future and couldn't do anything if they could because no laws would be broken until the criminal act occurs.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There was a time in my life when I thought I could protect me and mine. I was a recon Marine with plenty of training. I had that mental attitude that I now call "naive invincibility". Those who say the laws will not protect you are correct, but I contend, in my old age, I cannot really protect myself. With my 30.06, I can still put 5 rounds into a target 200 yards away that you can cover with the palm of your hand. But under stress with a human target, I don't know.

This isn't the Old West. I am not a quick draw artist. By the time I remembered where I put it and the ammunition for it, got it loaded and ready to fire, I would already be up to my ears in alligators. The event may be over before I am ready to start. I really don't like the odds. Mind you, I am not a passivist, rather a pragmatist.

Maybe I am a cynic. I don't really trust the retirement funds of these large corporations or the government to "take care of me". Even though I use the financial institutions, i.e., banks, savings and loans, etc., I can conceive of situations where they may not be able to protect my assets. Even though I don't feel treatened anywhere I go, this is an unsafe world if a perpetrator is determined. The only safety I can find is in my faith and trust in my creator.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We will have a alarm system installed in the camper for protection..but we DO have a backup system...
Just a wild guess, Rich... is it the bird that hates you??? You said it could shred a metal blind within seconds...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, that's the most comforting protection of all! I think the quote goes something like: "If I am with you, who can be against you???" That makes me feel pretty good. Of course, I still believe that "Faith without works (action) is dead". The "Right to Bear Arms" clause in our constitution never bothered me too much...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I am a retired deputy sheriff with 12 years on the department. Unfortunately, had to leave because of an on the job injury.

As a retired peace officer, I am permitted to carry a concealed weapon in all 50 states. I would caution those who do not have concealed weapons permits to be aware that the laws in various states vary from "it's okay to have a loaded pistol or revolver in the glove compartment" to "If you have a weapon in your vehicle, the ammunition must be stored and locked away in the trunk", to, in the case of Canada, "Thank you for violating our weapons laws...Now, please hand over your truck, trailer and the keys to both."

Having used a gun as a tool, ala a hammer, for 12 years, I feel very comfortable carrying if the situation may call for it, but am still very careful to not expose my weapon if talking may get me out of the potential problem. While there is an old saying of "Better to be tried by twelve than carried out by six", I am very cautious about carrying...my 2 cents worth.

Michael

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
12 GUAGE Remington 870 short barrel. w/00 buckshot.........am licenced to carry and even have a MACHINE GUN LICENCE in Massachusetts to boot!!

I prefer not to stay in those campsites though............
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am Canadian and as the gentleman above mentioned, a hand gun in your possession up here might cost you all your possessions.

If the place we are staying makes me feel uneasy, I move on down the road and I mostly use campgrounds even overnight. I never stay in rest areas along interstates but there are some Walmarts and Costcos up in Canada where I feel pretty good as these always have a dozen or so RVs parked here most nights.

We also have had Dobermans for years and they are a great security item. The female Doberman I have now is not a great watchdog but our Standard Schnauzer is and the two of them make a good team. I also carry a small bat for checking my tires and I hope I never have to use it for anything else but if my fate is to go down by violence, I'm going down fighting. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Just a word of caution folks. Be aware of the local laws wherever you go and never,never,never say anything to anyone about having a weapon. I was Asst. Chief of Police in a small southern town and was planning a trip to see family in "NEW JERSEY". Out of professional courtesy I contacted the State police to let them know I would be in there state for a visit. I gave him my rank, department name and length of service. He told me that it was great that I was coming home to visit the the family and welcome,but,if I entered "HIS STATE" with my service weapon he would promptly arrest me and place me in jail. I won't tell you what I did but we have an old saying,,,I WOULD RATHER BE TRIED BY TWELVE THAN CARRIED BY SIX"
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We will have a alarm system installed in the camper for protection..but we DO have a backup system...
Just a wild guess, Rich... is it the bird that hates you??? You said it could shred a metal blind within seconds...
'Well Dave..The Bird could do serious damage to your person.Understand that the beak has more power that a 150 Lb German Shepard..However.. The stupid birds entire existence revolves around attempting to lure me in close enough to attack.Just the other day Helen launched the Stupid Bird from the second level to fly to the cage as she always does however this time I was standing nearby and the Bird started off..did a hard left bank and commenced a Kamikaze attack on my person..I managed to bring my Anti bird defenses up and whacked it into the next bedroom..Rich 1,,stupid bird zip...this time.. The bird would fly to you or anyone else perch on your shoulder..maybe even crap on it and love you..Me..my nose/ ears /lips would be history.. such is life...
Old 01-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #17
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Rich, I think this bird sees you as am interloper in it's relationship with Helen.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #18
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
When we left Alaska to drive through Canada guess what I had to leave behind. Can't wait to return to Alaska.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Rich, I think this bird sees you as am interloper in it's relationship with Helen.
We know that.They are flock creatures and I am competition. I kid around about the bird a lot but actually we get along fairly well as long as Helen is NOT around. But when she shows up...attack....Anyhow going along with the topic of What do you have for protection... The bird is a great alarm system It is louder than any dog and because they mimic it can sound like a alarm system. My observation on firearms in RV's.Without getting into right/ wrong or moral or social values..most all of the Rvers I know do have one in the camper and I have been at a couple of Rv seminars on firearms in RV's and was surprised at how well attended they were. Such is life...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
OK Rich, I have to ask the question, what type of Bird is this? It sounds like an Eagle or a Falcon or is something from warmer climates.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote