Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Screen Door Modification

Several people on here may have already added these fixtures to the screen door but I thought I would post some photos anyway especially for the newbies’ or anyone that may be interested in this idea.

I added a screen door opener latch and a handle for gripping the screen door. Not a necessity but an added convenience. I ordered them through Camping World.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
The 2012 Montanas (and my last SOB TT) that I have seen have the perfect solution. It's a differant sliding pannel that fits in the screen door. It has a sliding knob that releases the screan door latch. Wish I had a picture to post. That's one of the features that I really miss on our Montana. I will be ordering one in a few months. Shouldn't be more than $25 or so, then you may have to partially dismantle the screen door to switch pannels.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Ive got one of these, and I love it.
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
I have more than one RV for different purposes, just like having more than one fly rod, e.g. trout, salmon, etc. On my traveler SOB, I did the same mods as Bill N Donna. I also put Lexan over the screens to bring in more light by allowing the door to remain open. From this experience, here is my input.

Save your money on the little black flipper and invest in the "new style" round vertical slider mechanism like the one on my 2012 Montana. That flipper is like a one man dog, it's okay for the person who installed it, but for everybody else, it is bound to have a short shelf life due to people reefing on it. This is especially true for young kids or buzzed up visitors trying to escape.

The cross bar works, but is really clunky to me. If I had to do it over again, I'd put one or two ceramic pulls on the cross member, the style that only requires a thumb and forefinger to grasp, not the multiple finger grasp model. Maybe it's just me, but when I look out that door, the main thing I see is that bar. Ugh.

It's your dime, but because it is such a critical juncture, I suggest you spend the money on the LCI mechanism and then ride off into the sunset as one happy cowboy.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Pictures please, Pictures. Like what you're saying but have no idea what you're talking about.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I would like to go on record as saying "Excellent choice and installation!".

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The great thing about this forum and RVing in general is that we can all do our own thing. I don't have pictures at the moment (Wagon Master has it's time constants) but when we put the tinted plexiglass in we also devised a round knob that opens the door. And I'm looking for the type of door rail that George and Rosetta have that covers far more of the windows in the door. With a 23# cat and a17# cat you'd like them to stay in the rig and the plex stay in the rig also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We tried the black little door opener. Worked great for us for 1 weekend. The grandkids came and it was MIA for a day or so leaving us with a little hole in the slider. We looked every where...finally found it under the rv. It is not all that durable and it constantly needs adjustment.

We went to plan B the round little door knob that we ordered through the dealer. $26.00. Be prepared if you do not have the new model Montana's it will not fit. The slide is larger on 2009 door and under making the new slide with the screen to small. If it was the other way around you could cut the slide to work.

We made it work by cutting out the knob and attaching it to a piece of plexi the right size but it was a lot of work getting it to fit and look right. Plexi is not easy to work with. It cracks very easy. That being said now it is done it is a great convience.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The CW lever is only 5 bucks, but the 9/16 drill bit was 22.00 bucks. I now have a nice 3 yr old 9/16 drill bit that I have used a dozen times to install other folks levers. We are still using the original we got back at the NE rally in NY..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Congrats Bill-n-Donna on a nice modification. I had bought one of the bars for our TT but then we traded it in and found out it doesn't work on the 2013Monty. The door edge is NOT flat and there is nothing to attach it to. I am trying to find a creative way to grab the screen door to shut it once you are inside the trailer because my son is only 6 and he grabs parts that are neither safe nor sturdy. I like the ceramic pull idea but I have no idea what I could attach it to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Our unit has a clear slide panel that has a big round know by the door handle that you just press down upon and it opens the screen door. It is wonderful but you still can't reach it once you step inside the trailer if the door has swung open. I usually end up stepping outside to grab the door.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
jwedell:

Search for LCI (Lippert) Doors and access the PDF file showing the various components available. The part I am speaking of is clearly shown on the cover page. However, the individual part is impossible to find on the Web and you might want to call for info or get access to their catalog.

In my opinion, this setup will become increasingly popular with the RV crowd and trumps all other currently available options.

Bill N Donna, you did a fine job on your door and I appreciate reading your posts. My points were in reference to my experiences only and should not be taken as a critique of your work or choices. Happy Camping.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here is what I did to our screen door:

^^^^ Notice the handle at the top for grabbing to close, and the rod iron grate for support at the bottom half.

We saw this on Rich & Helen's new Big Sky and had to have it. Ordered it through Stolfus RV Marine store for $26.00. Our door opening was just a little too small for the plexiglass, so I had to cut it down a little. Some folks doors are way too big for the plexiglass to fit, ie, Bill & Cindy Daniels.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Tom you forgot to tell them the window is painted by the artist! (Sharon) cuz everyone is going to be trying to find it! LOL
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Oh yes! Thanks for letting us know! I was going to ask and forgot ...it is hell getting older!

Did Sharon paint it directly onto the glass? That is GREAT! I can only 'paint by numbers' so I guess that will be one modification I will never do.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Cindy, yes, your right, DW painted the lighthouse on the door cause the window is plain glass. At night, anyone could see into the camper.

Carol, yes, directly on the inside of the glass, she had to paint it backwards so all the details could be seen from the outside, not the inside.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Sharon did an amazing job! I can't even paint forwards! I hate our glass insert. It is not plain glass it is some sort of patterned glass that looks like it came out of the 70s. I have seen some people replace theirs with a stain glass insert. I don't know how well that would hold up going down the road. I think the paint is a better idea! It is beautiful!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
DW says if you ever get out this way, she will be more than glad to paint something on your window for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Tom please tell Sharon that I really appreciate such a sweet offer! Now I just have to figure out how to convince DH that I need to go to Maryland! We will be on the east coast next summer supposedly but I am not exactly sure where yet! Thanks again!