Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Nova Scotia?

Has anyone been out to Nova Scotia, coming across in Canada, maybe stopping at Niagara Falls en-route? Any comments about the area as a destination?
Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
About the Niagara Falls area, my opinion is the Canadian side is a lot prettier, while the U.S. side is more rundown. If I was going to stay in the area, I would choose the Canadian side. I've done the U.S. side and didn't like the lodging, the neighborhood and the lack of services. Much better on the Canadian side.

It's been 10 years since I've been in that area and I've heard that there were plans to improve the U.S. side, but since I've heard nothing from the same media sources that said things would improve, I don't expect anything has changed much, or maybe I missed it.

I used rental and personal vehicles, no RV.

Maybe someone who's been there recently can provide updated information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Went to NS about 18 months ago. Had a great time on the north end, Cape Breton Island. Drove the Cabot Trail (clockwise is the best way to loop) without the 5er on. Stayed in town of Baddeck.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
going to nova scotia.you,ll love it if you like like sea food.there,s plenty there.stop at the information centre,s they can provide campgrounds and other sites to see.if you have time and money go to new foundland also.if you are that far i would not mess it.the ferry is expenseive but it might be a once in a life time thing.i is nice to say i have been there than i wish i would have went.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Traveled to Nova Scotia 3 years ago.... Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail is beautiful...would not pull my Montana there even though there are campgrds off the trail... stayed on the lake near Baddeck....in August it was cold..had to run the heat for 3 days....drove around the area and toured the historic forts up there...then traveled to Halifax..toured the Citidel, the changing of the guards, the Buskers festival, stayed at Orchard Beach about 20 miles south of Halifax...traveled to Peggys Cove also..overall a really nice 21 days trip...May go to PEI this year for a week or two...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
We stay at the KOA park on Lundy's Lane when in the "Falls" Bus stops right outside park entrance and takes you right to the falls area. WRT to Nova Scotia, expect a maritime climate and a good time. Check the NS Tourism site for festivals, park locations etc. PEI is pretty laid back and relaxed. Great seafood and really friendly people. Costs nothing to drive over the bridge getting there. You pay on the way back. Again we stay at the Cavendish KOA which is close to the best beach.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We went on an Eastern Canadian trip in 2008. We live in Maine so we travelled thru New Brunswick. If time allows I would definitely stop at Fundy National Park. If you haven't seen the Hopewell Rocks it is definitely a sight to see. We stayed in the park and the campground was wonderful, FHU's, large sites, pool, flower beds. Also took a drive without the Montana and went to St. Martin's Caves. Not going to repeat what we saw in Nova Scotia, our itinerary was about the same as sola123. Our next stop was PEI which is also very close by. From there we went around the Gaspe' (just beautiful) and into New York State across the 1000 Island Bridge. It was a great trip and thought I would give other suggestions if you have time. Oh, before I forget we were there also in August and it was on the cool side too.
Enjoy your trip and safe travels.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can highly recommend a Nova Scotia trip to include Peggy's Cove and Prince Edward Isle. We did Niagara as a different trip but both could be done together if you aren't in a hurry. Have fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Here is a site of interest for you
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx
We are in Bedford NS and it's good to hear MOC members coming up our way. Need any further info you can send me an e-mail. If I can help I will
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We had a wonderful time in Nova Scotia in 2008... You can find it and lots of pictures on our blog under the Newfoundland section. We also went to Niagra Falls on our return.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Click on my signature link "Maritimes" for our travel log for our trip. May give you some ideas. We loved it!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Nova Scotia is beautiful, but be aware that the roads are quite narrow, with no shoulder in some places. Don't miss Ft. Louisburg living history museum. There are campgrounds around the province for RVs. We didn't use them, but noticed them on our trip.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
We live on the south shore of N.S. when we are not traveling in our Monty. As mentioned above, Cape Breton is a great place and so is the rest of NS. Lunenburg to Yarmouth along the south shore, the Annapolis Valley and everything in between. Great seafood. As Freeda 11 offered in their post, we are willing to help any MOC member with suggestions. Just PM us anytime.
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Freeda II

Here is a site of interest for you
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx
We are in Bedford NS and it's good to hear MOC members coming up our way. Need any further info you can send me an e-mail. If I can help I will
Thanks for the link. We're heading up this summer. People say cool in August. When's the warmest, driest month?
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We are heading up to Newfoundland in August and really looking forward to it. We hope to learn more about the Viking settlements there since we belong to a Son's of Norway group. We will be accompanied by a few from our group in a mini RV caravan. The blogs created by some of our members are great to read in advance of our trip.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
July and August would be the warmest. Whether it would be the driest is up for debate. If you were up our way last summer it would have been sunny and warm
Andy
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote