Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #21
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Here are the last 2 pics. You can see the wire. It's 14-2 AWG wire. I pulled it out of the protectant. The bottom pic just shows where the wire continues on up into the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_125448_resized.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	5525   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_125518_resized.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	5526  

whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
In a previous post from someone having the same issue a post mentioned a junction box just under the carpet in the rear of the slide. They said you pull the carpete back in the back corner of the slide just above where my wire goes up into the slide. That could be where the 110V goes. Since my 110V was working i didn't go there.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
In a previous post from someone having the same issue a post mentioned a junction box just under the carpet in the rear of the slide. They said you pull the carpete back in the back corner of the slide just above where my wire goes up into the slide. That could be where the 110V goes. Since my 110V was working i didn't go there.
Thats pretty much how mine is, although inside of that wire loom on mine is just two single strands of 12 volt wiring, and those round black 110 cords. No 14/2 inside of mine at least on the kitchen slide, the living room may be different . Thanks ,you mentioning that junction box ,may give me another place to look.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #24
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The black covered cables are 120vac. One is for the 120vac 15 amp circuits in that slide and the other is 120vac 20 amp circuit for microwave only. On the inside wall/floor of the slideout should be a carpeted wood cover if you have a sofa next to the fridge. Inside that cover will be two devices that take the solid wire Romex lines and hook up to the black stranded cables that you see in the slide out wire carrier. On the other end of the black cables, inside by the fresh water tank you will find two more of these devices to hook up to the romex cables that run back to the power center breakers. On my t.v., the fridge power Rome's supplied 120vac to that kitchen gfi and also my tv on the rear wall. It could very well be the device for the 15 amp circuits was assembled "badly" and you are now seeing the result. This same type of device is used under the bed and has caused issues in the past for several folks on the forum. The connections on the device from stranded wire to solid romex wire can easily be seen through clear plastic covers on mine.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
The black covered cables are 120vac. One is for the 120vac 15 amp circuits in that slide and the other is 120vac 20 amp circuit for microwave only. On the inside wall/floor of the slideout should be a carpeted wood cover if you have a sofa next to the fridge. Inside that cover will be two devices that take the solid wire Romex lines and hook up to the black stranded cables that you see in the slide out wire carrier. On the other end of the black cables, inside by the fresh water tank you will find two more of these devices to hook up to the romex cables that run back to the power center breakers. On my t.v., the fridge power Rome's supplied 120vac to that kitchen gfi and also my tv on the rear wall. It could very well be the device for the 15 amp circuits was assembled "badly" and you are now seeing the result. This same type of device is used under the bed and has caused issues in the past for several folks on the forum. The connections on the device from stranded wire to solid romex wire can easily be seen through clear plastic covers on mine.

My kitchen slide has just the linoleum on the floor. Next to fridge is the counter , then the stove, and cupboards ,then the left side slide out with the the TV, desk etc. The sofa is on the opposite side slide out. I have four slide outs its a 2008 3400RL. I will have to look for a cover or whatever inside the lower cabinets on that kitchen slide, although not losing power to the microwave ,but I am losing power to the three outlets , one being the GFI . But I am also losing power to the 120 light over the kitchen table, opposite the kitchen slide, as well as the overhead fan, and light , the outlets for the TV ,as well as the outlet for the desk. Actually everything 120, except the bedroom now that I see whats going on. It only seems to shutoff ,and on when moving the kitchen slide, but its actually shutting of more then just the kitchen power , other then the microwave ,which is the only thing thats working on 120 .
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
To make it more understandable , at least for myself. To sum it up the further I go here. I am losing 120 power to everything except the bedroom ,and the microwave. By moving the kitchen slide it seems to effect the power coming on ,and off. Whats mostly confusing to me is that its effecting more then just one circuit, but not the circuit for the microwave which is running side by side with the other circuit in the kitchen slide thats supplying power to the outlets. Yet I lose 120 power to the opposite living room slide that has the table, and sofa , as well as the power to the opposite side living room slide out with the desk ,and entertainment center.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #27
klewis6787
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23375
Most of the time the Microwave will be on it's own breaker and all the other ones will be wired together so they have alot more connections that can come loose than the microwave that should be on it's own breaker.
klewis6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis6787 View Post
Most of the time the Microwave will be on it's own breaker and all the other ones will be wired together so they have alot more connections that can come loose than the microwave that should be on it's own breaker.
I agree, although I haven't checked the water heater, or the washer ,and dryer outlets , all three are on their own breaker, and in the lower part of the fifth wheel, My washer ,and dryer go in the closet as you enter the fifth wheel. As said I only have power in the bedroom when it shuts off. Also I haven't checked to see if I lose power in the basement outlet or the outside outlet.

One thing to mention ,its some pretty screwy wiring the circuit that says kitchen, when I flip that breaker I lose the kitchen outlets, but also the overhead fan, and light in the living room , and the light over the kitchen table, When I flip the living room breaker I lose the outlets in there ,and the entertainment center ,which makes sense. When it does go out again I will see if I have power to the things on other circuits that I haven't checked. I have 10 circuits in all, only two that I know work when the power goes off on those other circuits, the microwave ,and bedroom , but there is at least 5 or 6 I have not checked.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #29
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree that the microwave, that could possibly pull 12 amps or more by itself, is likely on a separate breaker. I think all the other outlets in my living room are on one different breaker, including even the ceiling fan.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I agree that the microwave, that could possibly pull 12 amps or more by itself, is likely on a separate breaker. I think all the other outlets in my living room are on one different breaker, including even the ceiling fan.
Mine is not, the ceiling fan is on the kitchen breaker ,so is the light over the table as well as the three outlets in the kitchen slide. but the fan ,and table are not in the kitchen slide ,but are on that circuit. The living room circuit has the outlets , and entertainment center, thats it. Everything else back there is 12 volt ,and working okay .
Old 02-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #31
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
When my slide lights quit, I pulled the cover to my breaker panel and checked all of the nuts holding the wires in place. Although it wasn't the problem, I did have some loose ground wires. It's worth checking.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
When my slide lights quit, I pulled the cover to my breaker panel and checked all of the nuts holding the wires in place. Although it wasn't the problem, I did have some loose ground wires. It's worth checking.
Thanks, I will do all that as soon as I get out of this cold weather. I have an Onan onboard 5500 generator ,so I have a transfer box, I doubt thats any issue ,but I will check connections in there too. There was a recall on that transfer box ,its not the original .
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #33
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Thanks, I will do all that as soon as I get out of this cold weather. I have an Onan onboard 5500 generator ,so I have a transfer box, I doubt thats any issue ,but I will check connections in there too. There was a recall on that transfer box ,its not the original .
As I understand the intermittent issue centers on a GFI outlet. These (all) 120v outlets in rv's use push in connections for fast assembly. I would start by pulling this outlet and checking the wire connections there. If they are loose, that could be your source of trouble. I have replaced several outlets in rv's over the years with screw on wire connections.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
As I understand the intermittent issue centers on a GFI outlet. These (all) 120v outlets in rv's use push in connections for fast assembly. I would start by pulling this outlet and checking the wire connections there. If they are loose, that could be your source of trouble. I have replaced several outlets in rv's over the years with screw on wire connections.

Thanks, I will do that also , right now moving the slide outs getting ready for a trip, hasn't had an issue ,not even a flicker. Pretty crazy what its doing. I have pulled the fifth wheel up further on my RV pad for loading, etc etc , and nothing has gone out.