Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Rear of slide not retracting completely

I recently had the rear gear pack on the dinette/recliner slide replaced. The last time I retracted the slide I noticed that the bottom of the rear of the slide (about 18" up the side of the slide out) is not retracting all of the way. I crawled underneath and compared the front gear track to the rear. I discovered that the gear track on the bottom of the slide out square tube on the rear tube is showing about 3 additional teeth compared to the front tube. This would explain why the rear of the slide is not retracting completely. After looking at the factory manual and watching a couple of lci videos, I think that I can pull the pin that connects the rear gear pack shaft to the square tube that connects the rear gear pack to the front gear pack. And then push the rear of the slide in until the same number of teeth are showing on both the front and rear gear track. Since the gear pack shaft is round and it inserts into a square tube, it should be able to rotate without removing it. Has anyone out there ever done this? Am I completely off-base? I don't want to pull the gear pack pin and then the slide falls out of the camper. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Larry, since your unit is a 2019 model, why not take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem under warranty? I think your idea is correct BUT why gamble?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you do decide to do this yourself, You will need to drop the gear pack down to clear the rack teeth, adjust the slide position and then move the gear pack back into position. The reason for this is there is only one hole in the round shaft and it must stay lined up with the bolt hole that goes through the square tube. If the dealer or repair shop did not adjust the slide properly, they really should be the ones to fix this, although they did mess this up so I can see maybe why there is some reluctance to take it back to them.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Larry, since your unit is a 2019 model, why not take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem under warranty? I think your idea is correct BUT why gamble?
I think I just had a one year warranty, unless the three year frame warranty covers it. Also, we are scheduled to head to Florida in two weeks and most likely they won't be able to get to it by then.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If you do decide to do this yourself, You will need to drop the gear pack down to clear the rack teeth, adjust the slide position and then move the gear pack back into position. The reason for this is there is only one hole in the round shaft and it must stay lined up with the bolt hole that goes through the square tube. If the dealer or repair shop did not adjust the slide properly, they really should be the ones to fix this, although they did mess this up so I can see maybe why there is some reluctance to take it back to them.
According to the LCI manual, I have to support the weight of the slide on blocks if I drop the gear pack. I'm not sure how I will be able to push the slide in with the weight on the blocks. I realize that there is only one hole that through the gear pack shaft and the square connecting tube. I was hoping that the teeth would line up correctly with either a 1/2 revolution of the gear or a complete revolution. But I guess the odds of that happening are probably slim. We are heading to Florida in a couple of weeks for a two week stay, so I may just leave it alone until I get back and take it to dealer. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When I replaced my broken gear packs, I used a bottle jack at the outer end of the square tube, with the slide extended, and with the small distance you will need to move the slide, you should have enough movement available. I put the bottle jack on the ground and use a timber up to the tube. I’m actually using my Safejack kit with the extension pipes to reach the square tube, but not everybody has them, so that is why I’m suggesting using a sturdy piece of wood. Www.safejacks.com
Old 10-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
When I replaced my broken gear packs, I used a bottle jack at the outer end of the square tube, with the slide extended, and with the small distance you will need to move the slide, you should have enough movement available. I put the bottle jack on the ground and use a timber up to the tube.
Thanks, if I try to fix it myself, I'll do something similar.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
When the gear pac’ was replaced are you certain they installed the right gear pack? There are two different pitches available. If wrong tooth gear pack was installed it might explain your problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E53B3B69-B7C0-4EF4-9AB5-FC48A79C3428.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	4883  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If the dealer that made the original repair had ordered the gear pack from Lippert, they would have gotten the 15 tooth gear, and that is what is on the newer rigs. Sometime around 2013, they stopped using the 18 tooth gear packs and went to the 15 tooth gear. Just that 3 tooth difference makes such a difference that the wrong gear will make the gear pack impossible to install. What has happened on his rig is, when they installed the new gear pack, they did not synchronize the front to the rear racks and that is why one side is out farther than the other.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
What has happened on his rig is, when they installed the new gear pack, they did not synchronize the front to the rear racks and that is why one side is out farther than the other.
Makes sense... it’s quite obvious the service dept didn’t functional check’ their work very well.. if “synchronized” properly it would not go out of sync all by itself
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote