Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
vern

M.O.C. #6998
Vinyl Graphics Problem

I have a 2005 32RLS Mountaineer 5th. I live in Cali where the weather is not an issue. My vinyl graphics are curling and coming off. I wash the rig with the Mr Clean system and use a boat/rv gel coat wax twice a year. I am in the process of contacting Keystone refs the problem.
I have two estimates to replace the graphics, but they told me I should contact Keystone prior.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you pay for the fix or did Keystone take care of it? Also what are the benefits of paint vs tape?

vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We, along with many others and not just Keystone, have the same problem you refer to and there isn't about nothing that can be done to correct it. This is the characteristics of vinyl graphics. I had the Monty graphics put on my TV by a company with 18 years of experience in the vinyl graphics business and according to them this pealing is not at all unusual. They also indicated that the graphics that have come out in the past couple years are considerably better but there is still no guarantee that they will not also peal.
There is NO magic solution that will extend the life span either. Keep them clean, NEVER use a pressure washer, polish or wax or use a protectant if you desire. They suggested that normal washing is all that is needed to keep them looking good but if they are gonna peal they are gonna peal.

benefits of paint vs tape? Paint should last longer but a paint job to match the graphics would cost as much as the rig itself.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had painted on graphics on our previous Rv.The RV was aluminum sided.They did fade over time and if we tried to clean them or wax them the color came off on the rag.This 3400 is nearly 11 months old and the graphics are in perfect condition.We do nothing special in terms of maint.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
And here is one that will be FIVE years old in May. This was taken in January of this year: (knock on wood-- )

http://www.dw4u.net/MontJan07.jpg

And for witnesses, you can count on our friends, Carol and Al who were here when the photo was taken. They were on the way down to the Rio Grande Valley.

http://www.dw4u.net/alcarol.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Seems to me that we put up with lousy RV graphics and lettering when we should get a better quality product. Boat names and graphics last for many years without fading or peeling. I put a boat name on the back of a boat in 1997, the boat was in an uncovered wet slip facing west...it got sun and rain 24/7/365. When I sold the boat in 2004, the lettering was as good as the day I put it on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I agree Bert. The graphics we use on our company cars are stuck when they put them on and when we sell them we have to get a heat gun and work for days to get the graphics off. Ours have never peeled and it is work to get them to start peeling. I have never used a power washer on Miss Monty and her graphics are curling up on the drivers side. They need to switch graphics provides because the graphics are not up to the rest of Keystones Standards. I also realize you have to maintain things and there are going to be a few exceptions with anything but this seems to be a growing problem for the owners of these expensive units.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You never know..I have seen with my own eyeballs a 3400 Montana with a build date less than 2 months earlier than mine with graphics peeling yet mine are in perfect condition...At a RV show Helen got her finger nail under a graphic in the corner of a 3295 and began to pull it off the camper . The one next to it was perfect.. Why is that???? We have seen peeling graphics on Cardinals, Cedar Creeks,Jayco's and many other brands...??? I give up...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
My 2001 model is just now showing signs of peeling.Its on the back right side-right behind the kitchen slide.I think what i`ll do for this area is remove the decal and put on a mural.A place called "wild signs" has some real nice murals.Any size you want and a lot of different options in as far as what you want to put their.i`am thinking on the lines of a American flag with a eagle inside.They warrent it for 7 years.And can be installed by the buyer with included instructions and materials.Right now i`am just kicking this thought around.But it is a option I am considering.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
vern

M.O.C. #6998
Well I heard from Keystone today and got the typical response. They told me I could take a picture of the grafics and send it to them for consideration. The conversation ended with them telling me the warranty is for one year only and sun damage is an enviormental issue and they do not cover that. I'm not going to waste my time with them.......
Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I would really send the pictures in for Keystone to look at. One never knows what the outcome can be...at least give Keystone the benefit of doubt.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Does anyone know how long these graphics sets are available from the dealers or from Keystone?
Our rig is 3 years old now and the edges are starting to lift in a few places, also one area has a split. It still looks new, but before too long it's gonna start showing it's age just from that.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
.My 2005 has some decals that are "cracked" and was wondering where to get new ones to replace . Calling my dealer monday to see what kind of run around I'll get.

anyone know how much for a NEW complete set of decals??
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #13
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477

"At a RV show Helen got her finger nail under a graphic in the corner of a 3295 and began to pull it off the camper "

Rich: Don't take her to the dealer when you go looking at new trucks. Just a suggestion. She'll get you kicked out.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Vern: My 05 2980 was 6 months out of warranty with shrinking and peeling graphics. I emailed several photos taken at the most telling angles at the request of a lady at Team Montana. After consideration, Keystone sent me a complete set ... I had to supply the labor to R&R. I felt I was treated fairly and in a reasonable time frame.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
vern

M.O.C. #6998
Thanks dieselguy. I took photos yesterday and will be sending them out ASAP. I hope they will atleast send me new ones.

cmp-shooter, my 2 estimates were 2500 and 2600 to replace my set with new ones matching the ones I have. They said it would be a bit cheaper if they could change the graphics but were concerned you would be able to see where the old ones were after removal and buffing.

Has anyone removed, buffed and changed theirs? if so were you able to see where the old ones were?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I think $2600 is a lot of money for a two year old unit. If mine get much worse I will stop upgrading the unit and trade it off.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #17
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Getting a call from my dealer today on how much for a NEW set
[outrite] of decals..will post $$ amount later

maybe thay will sell piece by piece??
the truck shop[penske] has a decaler come in and decal new trucks, thay said thay could match anything, that is my next option. ,you should go to a "PENSKE" or "RYDER" SHOP around you and ask to get the number of their decalers , call them and ask about matching you a set.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Our graphics started peeling when our Montana was a year old. We contacted Keystone and was told we had to order new ones at our cost thru a dealer. So we haven't done that.

Our options are to leave the peeling graphics on (and they really look bad now after another 4 years) or to take them all off and have a completely white Montana which I think would look as bad as one with peeling graphics.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:[i].

Our options are to leave the peeling graphics on (and they really look bad now after another 4 years) or to take them all off and have a completely white Montana which I think would look as bad as one with peeling graphics.

Doug & Margee, While at an RV show this past weekend we seen a new Challenger by Keystone the front just had "Keystone" and the side by the bedroom slide and bedroom front window had "Keystone" No other graphics at all. It sure was different.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Campbud... was it "ugly different" or "nice different"?

...(LOL.....
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote