Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
D&D Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #21360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbourgon View Post
We have a new 2020 3931fb and for some reason the back camera is not displaying on screen I believe it may be too far, is there an extender that can be bought?
On our 2018 3811 the rear backup camera is wired into our rear marker/clearance lights so I have to have the headlights/parking lights on for it to work.
Hook up and give that a try.

D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #22
Sbourgon
Established Member

M.O.C. #23793
Yes tried that, when we bring screen closer.then to works
Sbourgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #23
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Furrion camera

For what it’s worth, the antenna on my camera points straight up and my screen is mounted to the wind shield on drivers left, low to the dash with the antenna straight up. It worked 90% of the time on our two week trip we just finished. It would go dark for a few seconds but always came back. It was handy.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Sbourgon
Established Member

M.O.C. #23793
Ok thanks will try that when we travel next
Sbourgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #25
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfroggatt View Post
How did you run 12V power to each camera? Through the wiring harness?
First off, when I bought my RV it only had one battery. I don't boon dock or dry camp but coming from the boating world I was use to having dual batteries as back up. Plus I knew I would be adding more 12v accessories in the future. So I removed the single battery and installed a dual battery setup along with new battery cables and a marine battery selector switch. This way I can select battery 1, 2 or both. I also installed a multi tap blade fuse block so I can add new 12v circuits as needed and each new circuit will have their own fuse. All this was installed in the battery compartment.
As for the 12v power for my cameras I ran a 12v supply power wire from the fuse block to my switch panel in the RV where I installed a 12v lighted switch so I can turn the camera system on/off.
From the switch I ran 2 12v pwr wires. One fwd to my side marker light cameras and one aft to my rear camera. I didn't go through the wire harness for the rear camera. I just dropped down the coraplast belly panels and ran the wire straight back to the rear camera securing the wire to the frame cross bracing with tie wraps every foot or so. For the side marker camera pwr wire I secured it to the wire harness where possible. I used the original marker light pwr wires to power the marker lights on the side cameras. As for the grounds, I just ran a gnd wire from each camera to the frame.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #26
w5352
Established Member

M.O.C. #21463
Send a message via AIM to w5352
Were are the rear camera power connection wires located
w5352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #27
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
For what it’s worth, the antenna on my camera points straight up and my screen is mounted to the wind shield on drivers left, low to the dash with the antenna straight up. It worked 90% of the time on our two week trip we just finished. It would go dark for a few seconds but always came back. It was handy.
How did you mount the antenna? My GMC dash material doesn't seem to accept any suction type mount.

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #28
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5352 View Post
Were are the rear camera power connection wires located
I mounted my rear camera at the top of my rear cap right below the center clearance light. The power wire for my rear camera runs from the switch panel in the RV down to the bottom of the RV. I dropped the belly insulation panels and ran the wire along the bottom, to the rear cap. Then I snaked the power and a separate ground wire up inside the rear cap, along the side and across the top to the rear camera connections. I attached the rear camera gnd wire to the frame. I didn't want to tap into the power and ground wires for the marker or tail lights. I wanted a totally separate power and ground circuit for my camera system. This way I can use my camera system anytime I want. Not just for towing. I didn't want be dependent on my TV, tail or marker lights for power.
Once I am set up at my camp sight and disconnected from my TV I remove the 7" display from my TV and bring it into the camper. I plug it into a 115 to 12v power supply I bought on amazon. Now I use my camera system as a video surveillance system. I can see what's going on outside around my RV and I don't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to see what's outside if I heard something or someone...
Old 08-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #29
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Furrion screen mount

The suction cup screen holder that came with the camera worked for a short time but then the suction cup quit working. I started looking for iPhone mounts. I think it was Best Buy’s or Walmart (don’t remember)...found one that opens and then you squeeze together on the screen. Works great. I think it was $7 or $8 dollars. I attach the suction cup maybe 8” to 10” above the dash then put the screen into the holder. The holder is on a moveable arm. It is just like the pic below...just turn the screen holder horizontal. I put the screen low enough so that it is tight to the dash (resting on the dash) and it does not wiggle. At first I had it higher and the thing tended to wiggle or shake real bad. I bent the arm just right and it rides steady with no shake tight to the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F989A042-455A-4F51-B694-80C04E43FF29.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	4447  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #30
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by penra View Post
How did you mount the antenna? My GMC dash material doesn't seem to accept any suction type mount.
It's probably not best place since it covers a lot of the screen but I used the suction mount to attach it to the display screen. I didn't like it on the window with tire monitor screen and the screen for the front camera I added it just got to crowded.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote