Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
TODO
Established Member

M.O.C. #9970
Sacramento to Lake Louise, Jasper

We're planning our first long trip with our new Montana 3150 RL. Planning to take Hwy 97 up through Oregon and Washington into Canada. We'll be staying somewhere around Lake Louise then on up to Jasper. What are recommendations on places to stay along the way and Hwy conditons for pulling our 35 Ft 5W? Return trip will be from Jasper down Canadian Hwy-5 to Kamloops then down to Vancouver before heading home to California. Issues or Concerns?

TODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thom and Diane, I think your clock is an hour early -- if you care.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Ken and I did part of that trip in Fall of '08. We stayed at Diamond Lake RV Park at Diamond Lake, near Crater Lake....very nice campground. I can recommend Crown Villa, in Bend. A beautiful park in a beautiful area. We enjoyed it so much we extended our stay there. We also stayed at Mt. St. Helens RV Park. A good clean place to stay to see St. Helens. We spent a few days in Seattle and stayed in nearby Bothell at Lake Pleasant RV Park. And finally, in Victoria we stayed at Ft. Victoria. A mixture of travellers and permanents...but a good place to stay. All in all, we would go back to any of these places I mentioned. We stayed in Redding and Klamath Falls on the way up...and would not recommend either of those parks. I can't seem to find the name of the one in Klamath. It advertised as a golf and RV resort. In Redding we stayed at Redding RV Park. I would try another place if we were in that area again. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Yamaha Mama has good advice. In Redding we always stay at JGW RV Park (Exit 673 on Highway 5). There is a WalMart Supercenter 5 miles south and at the exit there is a Travel Center fuel station. If you pay a few dollars extra you can have a site backed up to the Sacramento River. Have a great trip. Jasper and Lake Louise are well worth the drive.
Sharon
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I can also vouch for Diamond Lake RV Park. We absolutely loved it there. The walk to the lodge, where they serve food, was said to be a couple of miles, well it turned out 7 miles round trip, so beware of walking it. As we are 1000 Trails members, we stay at a lot of there parks so can't comment on the others mentioned. However, I would consider going up the coast of Oregon, as we are doing again this year, many CGs along the way and plenty to see and do.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We did this trip last fall, left Chico 10/1 and got back 10/15. Spent the first night in Winnemucca at the winemucca RV park. Had dinner at the Martin Hotel it has a great Basque menu. Next day we went east to wells an then north on 93 to Twin Falls.

Next day we continued up 93 to Salmon, ID and stayed in a really nice park right on the river. Next day we went up to someplace just outside West Glacier.

We then went down around the bottom of the park and north on 89 to Canada. Spent the first night in a place called Granum in a blinding snow storm (oh well).

The next day we went to Cochran, Alberta and stayed in a nice new RV Park. For dinner that night we went to a little steak house in an old hotel. I think it was called Rose's had a great bison ribeye. It was so good we got three more to take with us. The next day we did a day trip to Banff and Lake Louise. Did not do much outside due to the cold (19-20).

The next day was a fairly long push to west of Jasper to a twon called Valmount. From there we came south on Highway 5 thru Kamloops and thook Higway 97C to the Oakanagan valley. Did some wine tasting around the area. The California wine industry has nothing to worry about from the Canadians. From there we headed south on 97 to the Tri-Cities area.

From Tri-Cities we headed southeast on I-84 toCaldwell, ID. From there we headed down 95 back to Winnimucca and then back on 80 to Chico.

I sorry I don't have the names of the places we stayed but I am at work and all that info is at home.

All the roads we drove were good to great.

I used my Trailer Life campground CD to find places to stay. Due to the time of year we were limited to what was open.

All in all a great trip. We would like to do it again when it is warmer so we could spend more time outside. The Monty handled the cold with no problems at all.

Hope you have a great trip.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
In my previous post I forgot to tell you to buy bug spray before you get to Canada. The mosquitos some times are fierce. We paid dearly for a small can of spray at Lake Louise -- but thought every penny (dollar) was worth it.
Sharon