Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Sewer hose length and hose support?

We are getting our act together for the 7 Feathers Rally and know that we need some advice about a couple of things. Except for the time we lived in our old 5th-wheeler in Austin, we've done nothing but boondocking and/or camping where there's no sewer hookups, so having full hookups again will be a novelty for us. When we lived in an RV park years ago, the distance between the rig and the sewer drain hole was less than 10 feet from our trailer, so we didn't need a lot of hose. When we emptied the black tank, we created a slant from the rig to the sewer with varying sizes of logs--a "work with what you have" situation. Now that we'll be traveling and camping in many different places, we wondered what a good length of hose to carry would be, and we'd like some advice about hose supports.

While reading though the old posts, I noticed that many MOCers said they have a 15' to 20' length but also carry a 5' extension in case a longer hose is needed. We have a 15' Rhino hose, but no extension. I'm guessing we do need at least a 5' extension in case we need a longer hose. And then adapters or couplers--recommendations?

Finally, hose supports: I notice that some RVers use a Slunky brand, some use a Ramble brand, and some use an aluminum-look accordian design hose support for sewer hoses. Does one brand or design have an advantage over another, or are they all pretty much the same? The only thing I've noticed that might make a difference is that if the part the hose rests on is too shallow or not designed to hold a hose in place, the support might then be useless because the hose could come off fairly easily. Length of the support is a consideration, too, I assume.

OK, enough questions for today. Feel free to PM us if you'd rather do that than post a reply. We appreciate any and all advice and opinions!

Carolyn & Wayne

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also have a 15' Rhino. Never had to use the full length of that - yet. But would be a good idea to have a little more.
I use one of the plastic extendable accordian cradle type supports. Don't remember the brand. Silver colored plastic, so it may look like aluminum. Works well. But have seen some using plastic house type gutter. Two pieces for longer support. Looks like a good method. With a support at each end, it provides a solid support for the full length of the hose.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have a Sewer Solutions with 30 ft. of hose but we only have used 20 ft. at the most so far but one needs to be prepared. We also have a 20 ft. Slunky.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have 20 FT. of hose, but the last place we camped we had to use the dump station on the way out. 20 Ft. was not long enough.
We were 4 Ft. short.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We use the 15' Rhino and I carry a 10' extension. One park we go to uses a totally different connector so I have it ready using the quick couples on the 10 footer when we camp there.
We are picking up our 2010 3455 this weekend that has the sewer boom. I was looking at the new Rhino in the CW catalog that has a transparent elbow @ the sewer end rather that using the clear elbow at the trailer (which is what we have now).
I rarely use the extension as the 15 footer normally does the job. We also use the slunkly for support.

I particularly like these solutions as the compact neatly for storage.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I have a 15' hose and a 10' hose and can connect them if needed. I use a piece of 8' and 6' plastic gutter that telescope, and the ball end stretch cords, to hold the hose in the gutter and the gutter to the drain pipe. That means I don't need to support the hose with the slunky or other supports.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have used a 10' sewer hose for the last 4 years with no problems until this year. At Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone this year I needed about 6 more inches and the trailer was as far back as it would go. I now have a 10' & a 20' hose. Both fit in the sewer hose box on the Monty. I did need the 20' on our first outing with the Monty. The sewer was behind the tailer and again I was back as far as I could go. So I carry both hoses now.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

I have a 15' hose and a 10' hose and can connect them if needed. I use a piece of 8' and 6' plastic gutter that telescope, and the ball end stretch cords, to hold the hose in the gutter and the gutter to the drain pipe. That means I don't need to support the hose with the slunky or other supports.

Bob
Me to.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Bob
Me to.
Me three.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use the same two pieces of plastic gutter, several bungee type cords to secure everything and one or two adjustable jack stands to get a nice slope to the drain.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Small heads up, for those attending their first Fall Rally in Goshen, the fair grounds there, you will need all of 20 foot, ok, better make that 30 foot. Worth it tho!

We use combos of slunkys, those extendable gutter things, bungees, and whatever else it takes to get the slope thing going. Rocks (gathered from campsite, NOT toting those around in Tana! HAHA).

We carry leveling blocks/boards, etc etc etc. None of these items take up a huge amount of storage and when you need em, ahhhhhhh, tis nice to have em on board.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have 10 ft. sections (from CW) that hook together. We had 4, one broke and now we have 3. The only time we needed 4 was in our back yard! We tried several of the "slinky" type supports and found one at WalMart that we really like and works wonderfully. It has a handle that keeps it together when not in use. We also have a Hose Buddy that you fill with water and set over the end (going into the drain).
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OOO, Sue

Where did you get this "hose buddy" ??
Not sure I have ever seen one??

Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
We carry three sections of hose with connectors already on. We use a Slunky type of thing and also recently bought one of those sliding gutter things. Love that.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Not sure what length hoses we have, but we have the aluminum extendable support that came with our previous trailer. If I ever decide to change how I support the hose, I would get a length of sewer & drain pipe (4" only) at Lowes or Home Depot, and slice it in half. It's thinner than Schedule 40 pvc pipe and thus lighter. I would also cut a couple lengths to fit in the "basement". I seen alot of these being used here in PA.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For one year and five months I got by with a 15 ft Rhino Flex (great hose) and carried a min of 10 ft extension. Then in the 18th month I needed the extension and was glad I had it. I could have re-maneuvered everything to make the 15 footer work, but that would have been "troublesome" for me. So the extra hose is only needed when it is needed and you would be very happy to have it.

I use the plastic slinky/slunky (whatever spelling) accordion type supports and have been happy with them and never had a problem with the hose falling off. The are tapered from big to small so you get the "right slant on things". I have been in CG's that have signs saying sewer hoses have to be elevated as mandated by city code, so it's good to have some type of support.

Rots of Ruck!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol
hosebuddy.com
I just checked the web site to make sure they were still there. Now there are lots of colors!!! But price has gone up to #19.95 - four dollars higher than we purchased 4 or 5 years ago. Ours is brown, the only color available then. I ordered and it came in less than a week and even has an extra lid. You could fill it with sand also but we just use water. It is great.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Are you guys great or what? So many good suggestions and ideas--we are so grateful for your help. But don't stop now--we still welcome any and all opinions. Knowing what works and doesn't work makes our decision so much easier.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
THANX Sue!! Will have a lookie see.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The hose buddy is a good idea... decesion..do I spend 19.95 for one of these or use the not as handy but works one gallon jug of water.. Hummm. I don't have one so I must need one.... We carry those 10 foot sections of sewer hose with us.. We have been at fairgrounds or older C.G's were we needed 30 or more feet of sewer hose... We also carry 100 feet of water hose and many "Y" connectors.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote