Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Digital converter box for television

Has anyone installed the TV digital converter box in their rig yet? Since the box is the actual channel changer with this setup, we're planning to use one for each TV in our 2955. Any thoughts on where to put the boxes?

Thanks

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I plan on siting the converter box on top of the stereo/combination unit and DTV receiver above the TV in the living room. I plan on connecting the converter box into the DTV receiver and use the receiver as an A/B switch. I replaced the analof TV with a digital TV for the bedroom, so I do not require a converter.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Do you need 2 box's or just one on the main line from the Ant to run two TV's

BOB
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bob,
You could do that if you wanted to watch the same program on both tv's. Since the converter is the tuner you really need 2
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I have a 2005 2955rl. I plan on using one box for both tvs as MDW and I rarely watch two tvs and two different channels. Where does the converter box go? Where is the feed from the TV antenna located? It would fit best in the rear TV cabinet.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I bought my converter thinking I could use it for both TV's and the existing camper wiring would work, didn't happen. My TV roof antenna comes out in the bedroom. With the converter box in line the bedroom TV will only work on it, converter box does not by-pass when it is turned off. I figure I need an A-B type switch between the antenna output and the TV so I can by-pass it to get my dish signal.

This means you will have to doing some wiring mods to use it for both TV's the way I see it. If I am wrong I will be glad to hear your solutions.

Good luck

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
How about adding a splitter between the antenna and the digital set top box in the bedroom. Then the other side of the splitter can reconnect to the coax routing to the living room.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have mine setup so I can use either the analog signal or the digital one (I only have it setup for one tv) as below with the exception that I am using a 1 into 2 splitter versus an A/B switch:

If your TV doesn't have RCA style inputs you can set it up as below:

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
skbstone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7371
We have the 3400RL and bought 2 Winneguard converters at Camping World. We used our 2 / $40.00 coupons when Camping World had them on sale and ended up paying only $20.00 for each box. (note of warning, they do TAX $$ you on the WHOLE amount) They are so small that we were able to set it up along side our DVD player in the skinny slot above the Television. Up in the bedroom, for now I have it sitting up on the shelf that is in the closet. The problem with that is you have to have the closet door open to use it. The great news for us is that we picked up a lot more channels with these and were stunned when we did, the new and old channels are so very clear and better color.. We would recommend them from our standpoint.

Sharon
Yantis, Texas
skbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Where is everybody getting these certificates??
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Where is everybody getting these certificates??
Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
jpbcny, thanks, got it... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #13
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
JP
Very good drawings.

I agree with your drawings for connecting the TV's (same setup in bedroom and living room) so twice the expense. I was looking for away to use one converter box for both TV's but it would be a lot of work and probably cost more then second box.

I don’t plan on using the thing enough to justify the expense anyway.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
skbstone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7371
You can call 1-888-388-2009. It has to be from a valid phone number that matches the address the coupons will be sent to. You can't call from a neighbor or a friends house. Since the govt is making this switch they are providing only up to 2 coupons per address worth $40.00 each. They have a 3 month expiration date on them so use them quickly. It is called the "TV converter Box Coupon Program." There is limited supply so you might not want to wait to apply for the coupons. You can also visit their web-site at www.DTV2009.gov.

Sharon
Yantis, Texas
skbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
can anyone give me input about this product or the company

$14.99 EZTV Slim Tower by Zentech

http://www.tvconverterboxstore.com/s...rter-tv/Detail

EDIT: The converter Winegard Digital Converter Box with Analog Passthrough # RCDT09A sold at Camper World is the remote on it able to control the TV also?

Bob

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
The Tivax STB-T9 was rated tops by consumer reports.

Picture was near DVD quality.

http://tivax.com/

About $20 with the coupon.

Gary
deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

can anyone give me input about this product or the company

$14.99 EZTV Slim Tower by Zentech

http://www.tvconverterboxstore.com/s...rter-tv/Detail

EDIT: The converter Winegard Digital Converter Box with Analog Passthrough # RCDT09A sold at Camper World is the remote on it able to control the TV also?

Bob

I don't have any experience with the EZTV Slim Tower by Zentech, but I did look up the specs, and it doesn't list the remote as being "Programmable", or having "Analog Pass Through" capabilities, the Winegard Digital Converter Box seems to have the "Pass Through" feature, but doesn't list a "Programmable Remote". I'm currently using a RCA DTA800B1, which has a Programmable Remote which will control the TV On-Off, Volume, and Tune the TV to Channel 3 or 4 if you are using the RF cable method, or if you choose to use RCA plug cables it can select the "Input", it also has "Pass Through" capability while in standby mode allowing Analog Signals to be used by the TV, as a lot of stations are not yet broadcasting in digital, I find I use it often, and even after next year "Low Power" Stations will NOT be required to be digital, and Canadian Stations will not be required as well (As i camp near the Canadian Border, and on Lake Ontario often, I need to receive Analog Signals without the hassle of switching cables or adding A/B switches).

So far I have been very pleased with the Performance of the RCA unit, and the Large Button well defined remote.

JP
Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
My 2007 bedroom TV does not have the audio plugs so I can only use the box in the living room. I put it on top of the DVD player.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #19
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I ordered my two converter boxes from dish network and the cost to me was $20.00 for both boxes with the coupons. The unit is the size of a small paperback book and will receive both digital and analog signal. I love the prgram guide that it offers which you never had with the older tv's. I had them on our old tv's in the stick house and this past week used them in our 5vr. Did a great job with the signals I could get in the north country of MI. Back of my cabnit is now a wire nightmare with a tv, dish receiver, vcr and dvd comb, converter box and amfm radio/cd player. Yes I have a dish receiver but I do not always take my sat dish with us on in state trips
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #20
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Most of the converter boxes have the analog bypass feature built in. Wally World has them for $49 minus the $40 coupon (cost $9). We were in a area last week where we couldn't set up the dish so we gave it a try for the first time. What a difference!!! In bypass mode (unit turned off basically) the auto search picked up around 7 channels of which only 2 or 3 were really viewable. The others were really fuzzy. We turned on the unit and did another auto program and got at least 20 high quality channels. Looked almost like HD at home. The program page also tells you what's on each channel and what's coming up next. Pretty cool. Wish we had this years ago.
EDIT: The remote is also unversal so you can work your tv (and probably other stuff,too). I didn't have time to mess with it, but I think you probably can reduce the number of remotes down to one or two (not sure if it will work on sattelite box?)
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote