Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
How to make our travels Safer

My wife and I are new to the traveling and towing your 2955rl, so far we have pulled your trailer some thousand miles. Last weekend at a park we stayed, at around 1:30 at night we were woke to a truck turning gravel under his tires and four loud voices. The office closed and we were about the only trailer at the park, the truck made a couple of laps then left the park. I do work construction and travel some with my work so this is not all new to me! My question would be with the security of our TT and 5th wheels. It is know that the basement doors all use common locks and are not that solidly built. There are master keys to all our trailer door, we would hope they are not that easy to obtain? The door locks them self’s are not that sound either! Also the laundry chute makes it that much easier to gain entry. Some of these things I am working on to make our travel safer. The laundry chute is closed and screwed shut, I purchased barrel locks for CW for the basement doors and will obtain emergency numbers as we check in the parks from now on. SORRY for the long topic, but I think it’s worth asking some other ways the make our travels more safe!

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 AM   #2
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
What I am about to say may offend some and may anger others but so be it. I make my/our travels safer three ways: 1. Avoid bad situations, prvention through not inviting. 2. I have a very well trained, very protective hunting dog that would lay her life down for any member of my family in order to protect one or all of us. She is friendly but like I said is very well trained and if given the word, as said in the south, she will put a hurtin on ya. 3. I carry Betsy (Tarus PK145) everywhere we go. I do have a CWP and just as my dog I am very well trained in how to use Betsy.

With that said, when we are camping I let people know how well trained my dog is. When I walk her most times it is without a leash, she never strays from my side, when I stop she stops and sits. When someone comes close she sits but dont get too close or she will let you know that isnt such a good idea especially if I didnt say it was okay. IMHO, if the bad guy knows there is a pretty smart, loyal protector in my trailer or with me in camp or when I stop at a rest area, in my truck or where ever he will give it a second thought and pick someone else. Not me or my family.

Sure we have had things taken in camp and there is a whole thread on this very topic (search for door locks) but...if you do the things that are necessary to make it less inviting most times the bad guy picks some one else to bother.

I am not saying I go looking, testing or tempting the bad guy with my dog or otherwise, but what I am doing is having myself and family ready if we are selected by the bad guy. My prevention goes like this first avoid bad situations, second us my dog, and third if the dog fails use Betsy and make it count. And of course my wife or family member will be dailing 911 once I deem it necessary to use the dog, long before Betsy makes her appearance.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:44 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
labarnas: Looks like you have done all you can. I know we don't like parking alone and try to avoid it if possible.
I won't comment on Jeff's security.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Doesn't sound like Jeff has much trust in the American way.....But I guess you do whatever you feel needs to be done to enjoy your life....Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jeff has got himself and his family insurance.Just like auto and home owners.You hope you never have to use it but you got it. If the "American way" lets you down then like the scout Motto..Be prepared. As far as Jeff's post goes....we don't have a Dog.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Here is a link that has some very good travel safety tips: http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/safety.html

The link is mostly directed at people visiting from outside the country but has a lot of good common sense information.

As for not trusting in the American way...well I trust very much in the American way, I enjoy life greatly, I served my country for 13 years doing things that helped keep our American way safe and free. My security protection plan is not for everyone, I know that, but it doesn't mean I don't trust in the American way. Having a well trained dog that is willing to protect you at all cost is not something that is unAmerican, avoiding problems or situations and not leaving things out to be taken is not unAmerican and owning a gun that you are not afraid to use if necessary is not UNAMERICAN.

I believe in the American WAY very MUCH. Now you have my two cents. I know this post is a little direct so I apolgize in advance if I offended anyone.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jeff,

Congrats and thank you for serving for 13 years!

I don't own a gun, but last I checked it was your right and privledge as an law abiding American for you to own one if you so desire.

I don't have a problem with a well trained dog, I applaude you for training yours so well (I know the amount of time, effort and $$ that takes!!!). I do have a small problem with you walking that well trained pet around a campground OFF leash! Most campgrounds have rules that state you must have the dog on a leash. I have (as has Al) been attacked in campgrounds around the US by dogs off leash, and worse yet, not with their owners. We find that in many campgrounds we cannot find a safe place to walk our dogs, cause of all the non-leashed dogs, dogs that are not controled. The last time I had this happen was just this past winter, it happened to be a small dog that was off leash and not controled. I picked up my yorkie, turned my back to the lady and the dog, and did not respond when she said she was sorry. Maybe that was rude, but I had my dog on a leash, and was obeying the rules, she did not. I am tired of forgiving those that almost never obey the rule.

Also sorry to be hijacking this thread, and Jeff, I don't mean to be crude or rude, but this is a sore point with me. The rules say a leash, then, please use a leash, no matter how well trained your dog is.

As far as the original post, has been stated here a number of times before, if someone wants in that bad, even with replacement locks, it would not take a lot of effort to get any of the doors on a RV open. Some of us open the bathroom door so as to block that laundry shute (I LOVE My laundry shute, would not give it up! ) IF you feel unsafe in a situation, then it is wise to take some precautions, not limited to, packing up and moving on! We have been known to stop for lunch or something, and if the hackles on the back raise up, then we either have one of us sit in the truck, or we go somewhere else. Listen to your 6th sense!

Last but not least, I know many full timers that do NOT travel with a lot of jewelry and valuables in their rig, they put them in a safety deposit box or something, in a bank perhaps near the residences of one child. Insurance will replace a lot of the rest. As far as important documents you must have, scan them, and send a CD with the scanned images to one of your trusted friends or kids, better yet, send them all a copy! Only takes a few minutes and a few $$ to burn and mail a CD.

labarnas, your idea about getting emergency numbers when you check into a campground is a great one for all of us to remember, ohhh, keep that cell phone charged so if you need to make that emergency call, ya got the power to do so.

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #8
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
I agree with countryguy, if you pull into a camp ground and the hair on the back of your neck stands up or you even feel the least uncomfortable, get out of there. A few more miles down the road there will be another camp ground.
One of the benifits to purchasing the Good Sam's book is it rate's the camp grounds, Don't pick one that isn't rated well, either stop a little sooner or go a little further until you find a place you are comfortable in.
Like countryguy said there isn't a lock that can't be opened. As far as carrying a side arm it is legal in some states, but you better have a license to carry one if you plan to use it. If not and you do use it, you will be sitting alongside the guy who broke into the camper.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Carol,
I am sorry to hear that you and or your hubby have been attacked/harrassed by uncontrolled dogs. I actually hate when that happens too. When my dog is off her leash she has a collar on that can be contolled by me with a remote device. If she so much as thinks she will walk ahead of me or any where except next to me when off the leash she gets an unpleasant zap which she responds to very well (it can stop her in her tracks). Most times when in a campground if others are out with their dogs, ours is on a leash but just as I stated many times she is not. I am very aware of what a dog can do that is uncontrolled/unleashed which is why I always give fair warning to individuals who approach us when she is on or off the leash and seem to want to get close or pet her.

It is very unfortunate if you have been bitten. What bothers me are the dog owners that just let their dogs out to go do their business or run lose and the owner is nowhere to be found or the ones that walk their dog off leash and have absolutly no control over them with the dog running all over or jumping on you and the owner thinks it's cute. When my dog is off leash in a public area I can tell you she is still controlled by me. The collar I use is available through Pro Bass or Bass Pro (I always get the name mixed up) sports store. They work and will bring a dog right into control quicker than on a leash. I am not saying everyone should do this and I am not even suggesting anyone should try. It takes a great deal of time, money, energy and love to get a dog to the level of where my dog is.

I understand and agree with your comments regarding unleashed dogs completely.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks for all the of your replies! I like most of us good citizens of this great country do not put my self into bad situation. I believe that an ounce of perfection IS equal to a pound of cure! I will be installing an independent dead bolt above the factory door assembly this should beef up the lock a great deal. True if they want in they can get in, I would just hope to find ways to slow them down in case I would not be there to protect my family.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
I would add that a simple AA battery motion detector alarm inside the trailer for when one is not home, and an alarm sign in the window may help. Bright outside lights to turn on at night, and in our family, doors are not opened at night for anyone not known personally to a family member no matter what the story of distress. My family dials 911.

If you are there and someone attempts to break in, they are a serious threat to you and your family, and I believe everyone should have a plan to deal with these very dangerous situations. Your resources will determine your plan.

I am told there is nothing like the sound of the chambering of a 12 gauge round in a short barreled shotgun to chase away the most determined intruder. Because of the potentially serious legal ramifications, anyone going that route and traveling should have a Concealed Weapons Permit AND all of the training that goes with it. And if you carry it into Canada you will probably go to jail.

For some reason, we don't have a lot of these problems in Wyoming. But there are a lot of CWP's.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the simple motion detector attached to both doors.If we are in the camper we hope that would give us the time to chamber the old Remington 870 20 inch barrel, 12gauge.If not in the camper hopefully the noise would scare anyone away. We do have the Concealed weapons permits that allows carry in 29 states and the training that goes with it.We have never carried and in 20 years + of camping have NEVER had a problem of any kind. In a perfect world none of these things would be necessary..We do not live in a perfect world. I am not happy that we must take these precautions but... we choose NOT to be a victim.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 AM   #13
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Jeff, I right in line with you. Your camper is a second home and you have the right to defend it as you see fit!!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have stayed in dozens of campgrounds (maybe hundreds) the past 15 years. We had a tool box stolen once (wasn't locked down) and that is all. We did keep one of our guns in the unit once when we didn't feel quite right. But don't usually. We have driven though campgrounds, looked around at the units, trucks and people and driven right back out, down the road to another. I think that is an important thing to do. Trailer Life's ratings are not always right and you have to decide for yourself. I often spend a week or more alone in our unit and we always try to make friends with a neighbor so I feel safe. And yes I know how to use the guns and have been trained. And I too belive in the American Way which means I have the right to make myself safe.
Happy trails
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Does anyone know how I can get ahold of Tackleberry from Police Academy? I maybe should hire him to travel with us. lol.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, I agree with you about people leashing their dogs. We've had several incidents where people sitting around a campfire visiting and laughing had no idea that their dog had wandered over to the road and put Greta into a tailspin. Literally! Greta is a wimp (please don't tell anyone since she barks loud enough to sound protective) and immediately starts to wind herself and her lease around whoever is walking her. When it was my four year old granddaughter and she almost had her feet pulled out from under her, I got mad.

Jeff, the only problem I see about having your dog under control but unleashed (other than the rules) would be that the other people don't know that your dog is under your complete control. It would be scarey for them.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:39 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I would hate it to be my child, or grandchild that was scared by a dog off leash. I also worry about children RUSHING up to a dog, "awwwwwwwwwww, isn't it cute gramma?" and putting their hands out to pet the dog and getting a rude awakening.

There are so many facits to this discussion and we all know it could go on and on. Some will agree, the dog is fine off leash if he/she is well trained. I don't agree, sorry Jeff, you sound like a VERY VERY responsible owner, you care about your animal, you have trained it well. But, the fact remains, the rules are the rules, and the rules in every campground I have ever stayed at state clearly, that ALL dogs must be on a 6 foot leash! (Another entire subject, those retractable leashes that go further than 6 foot, many dogs are not controled on those either.)

The thing that also strikes me is that if other campers see Jeff's well trained dog off leash, they will think "Well, he can do it, MY DOG IS A GOOD DOG, I can let him/her off leash too, nothing to it, call the dog and it will come back." Well, we all know that is a wish and a dream, unless like Jeff, they have spend a TON of $$ training, and continually work with the dog. To have a dog trained that well takes hours and hours, most people don't have, or won't take the time to commit to such rigorous training. The point I am trying to get across is that seeing a dog off leash sets a bad example for all the other dog owners in the park. "If he can do it, so can I." type of thinking.

Dogs are man's best friend, I love mine, my sons will tell you I am "over the top" with my feelings about my yorks. But, I am also realistic in my dog ownership. Mine are semi-trained - - - - ON LEASH. I will not make that statement about off leash. I have gone to obedience training, errrrrrrrrrr, I have taken the dogs to obedience training! HAHA. The dogs and I would surely benefit from additional training time. That said, dogs are dogs! The are a pack animal. Responsible owners get their dogs training, and they also remember that they ARE DOGS!! Dogs can bite, WILL fight, and situations can get out of hand in a flash. I have seen show dogs get into snarls, AT A SHOW! It is rare, but it does happen.

This IS a neverending discussion, Jeff feels his dog is sufficiently trained, and I believe him. But, the rules are the rules, and a campground and it's close living setups are not the place for additional training sessions. You cannot control the small children, you cannot control the other dogs that are about, leashed or otherwise. I think it sets very bad examples to allow even an extremely well trained dog OFF leash.

I do not mean to insult or slam other MOC members, I am sorry if you take it that way. I feel very strongly about this, as many of you know. Lets not get me started on crating while traveling!

Carol
Old 06-21-2005, 04:48 AM   #18
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Carol,
Thank you for the compliments. I will strongly consider your points and not to worry no harm no foul , I take no offense. I understand what you are saying completely. My brother and I have discussed this topic into the wee hours of the morning until we both have thought we won the arguement. He has a Min-Pin that is never off the leash and is a dog I would never want to see off a leash. In fact, I am a very happy camper when he keeps his dog in his motor home. I take it you dont care for crating while traveling, I dont either. Just ask my Lady dog and she will tell you she hates it. :-)

Anyway your points are well taken and as I stated I will give them good consideration. If our paths ever cross I promise I will keep my Lady Dog on her leash. Until then happy camping, stay safe and God Bless America.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thank you Jeff for your thoughtfulness and consideration and open mindedness.

Actually I am ALL FOR crates! Our house and truck and van and Montana are full of crates and xpens! In our 3295 under the TV area, where a lot of you have that nice fireplace, we have "yorkie central", 4 small crates and grooming towels. There are 3 crates in the truck, the boys ride together, the girls ride seperate and on opposite ends of the truck (they will fight and snarl, and it is best to keep a little space between them). In the van I have 4 crates. I lost count of how many are in my house, LOTS! And, play pens (X pens) every where, one in each of the bedrooms, 2 downstairs, and that is just in the house.

There are 5 Xpens hooked together out in the back yard for their potty area. Yorks are ratters, and if they were to see a rabbit or a squirrel, they would be GONE! We live on almost 5 acres, and I hate chasing them around the entire estate!

The primary reason for crating in a moving vehicle is because it IS a MOVING vehicle. God forbid if you would roll that truck and Montana, an unrestrained dog becomes a missle. Not only do you risk the life of the dog, you risk your own life, a flying pup, that weighs, ohhhhhh, 10 pounds, could kill you by breaking your neck. I can tell you several real life stories on both sides of the crate or no crate situation. One story has a great out come, ohh, the dogs were IN crates. The other is so sad and horrible that it could make you sick, ohhhh, those dogs were NOT in crates.

OKKK, I have hijacked this thread for long enough, and my soap box is getting rotten, I need to get down before it breaks!

Thank you for your well wishes, we hope to be outta here on Saturday, for my research trip to Iowa and Minnesota. I started this trip 2 years ago, but we got called home because of illness and death of my grandmother, she was in her 90's, bless her soul! Starting to get excited about the trip!

Again, I don't intend to insult any MOC members, I just feel very strong about dogs and safety.

Cheers, see ya on the road

Carol