Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
MORryde LRE

Thought I would give an update on replacing the shear springs on my 2008 3400 RL. Might be helpful for those with the older fifth wheels.

Took our first trip to Montana, with the new shear springs, unbelievable the quality of ride. For starters mine had the wrong shear springs to start PT108-016, instead of PT108-020. Too soft to start with. Anyway they were shot, pretty straight forward replacing them.

My fifth wheel never rode very well, not horrible ,but not as well as I thought it should.Early on I entertained the thought of IS suspension. But continued until it got to the point this past winter it got too bad. Well the shear springs were shot, and as said the wrong ones to start. I still have the original leaf springs, they are in good shape , no broken leafs, still have the arch they started with, and now new shear springs. Never have had shocks.

Anyway now, I couldn't ask for a smoother tow,like some say ,don't know its back there, thats a bit of exaggeration , its 38' fifth wheel its back there None of that rough bouncing of truck ,and trailer going over overpasses etc. I would not of believed what a difference those shear springs would make.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote