Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
TIRE AGE OF TOW VEHICLE

I have a 2006 GMC 3500 Dually with 36,000 miles on it. It has the original tires - Goodyear Wrangler ATS, LT215-85R16, Load Range E. These tires still look really good. I cannot see any checks or cracks along the rims or on the sides. The vehicle is always stored in my garage and is only outside when we are camping in Florida for a couple of months in the winter. I also live in a northern climate so we only get hot weather during the summer months. I am planning a trip south next winter and I'm wanting to get some opinions on whether I should change the tires or not. The tires also have lots of tread left on them, but I am concerned about the age even though there is no evidence of checks or cracks. If I change them, what would you recommend for good wear and longevity? Any info you can provide would be very helpful. Thanks.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have to ask, if they have lasted you this long and you've been happy with them, why not replace them with the same thing? Yes, there are probably better tires out there, but all tires have 'expiration dates', and given the mileage you drive, why spend more when they are going to 'age out' anyway?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We all post the good and bad experiences we’ve encountered while out and about with our Montanas in hopes that others learn from us. In regards to tires, here is one of ours...

We have a 2002 Montana that we bought in July of 2001. Tires were original until May of 2011 when we had a blowout going to the Lake Siskiyou MOC Rally and then ANOTHER blowout coming home from the same rally. We suffered some damage to the Montana from each blowout.

Those tires were 10 years old and should have been replaced 5 years before the two tire failures, we both should have known better than to let the tires go that long. The Montana had a complete set of new tires installed as soon as we made it home from the rally. You can bet we’ll be replacing those tires within the next year or two. We learned our lesson.

As for truck tires, I’m thinking you are playing Russian roulette with the age of those. Distance traveled definitely makes a difference on tires, but so does the age of the tire and it doesn’t matter if they have low mileage. Age is age. We are thankful that our tire blow-outs were on the Montana and not on the truck as we think it might have made a bad situation harder to control and get to the side of the road safely.

You have 8-year old tires. I would definitely be concerned, and there will be more mileage and age on them before next winter and that long trip you are planning.

If you don’t want to replace them now and if you aren’t taking any trips with the Montana between now and then, I’d replace them about a month before the trip. But that’s just my opinion.

Remember that old Michelin slogan, “Because so much is riding on your tires”. It’s true.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would vote with the majority. I would be very nervous with 8 year old tires on my truck. Granted I mistreat mine far more than you do, but I'm already planning on replacing mine and their only three years old. I figure when they've got four years on them it's time for them to go with the use I put them to (jeep trails etc.). As Doug mentioned, if I blow a TV tire it's a lot bigger problem than blowing a trailer tire, particularly if it's a front one. Saving money for early replacement with quality tires on both the TV and the Monty are way out in front of money to buy a new Monty on our list of priorities.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
We all should "retire" every 5 years; and that goes for the tires as well!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Paintpro99...What is the actual age of your tires from the date stamp on them?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I would say you're lucky, the tires on my 05 were replaced at 35K because there was almost no tread left.
I put on GY Wangler Silent Armors and loved them. Got Coopers on the current TV and hate them, very rough riding.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Thanks everyone for your input. I too am concerned about the age of these tires, but just wanted to get others' opinions. I definitely will be buying new tires before our trip south. Does anyone have an opinion about BF Goodrich Commercial TA's?
Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's what's on my TV. I've got 45,000 on them with no problems what so ever and very little wear.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Those Goodrich tires consistently make the desired list of tire brands. Even though the list has been predominantly for trailer applications, it's an LT and a pretty reliable one. I think like Tom S, replied from the onset, why change the brand if you can get them at a good price. I had those on my truck before they got replaced because of wear, then I changed to Michelin because I liked the 70,000 mile warranty. If you are not a brand specific kind of person, then the price/mileage is often the decision point.

I do think the tires are quickly approaching their age out date at 8 years of whatever is stated on the DOT date code. You could take a chance and keep them on, then replace them when they finally fail (tire replacements should be available everywhere), but then why also go through the failure process as well. The failures will likely be caused by what you can't see from the outside.

Tire brand recommendations have been made by others. mhs4771 posted they didn't like Cooper, I have had good luck with Goodyear Wranglers and others like Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone and Bridgestone in the past and I mentioned I switched to Michelin because of their 70,000 mile warranty and have been happy with them even when one failed prematurely and was replaced by warranty at about 25,000 (Still cost me about $100 because of prorating). Just make sure the tire satisfies your ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a 08 F-350 dually with now 64K miles and we are on our second set of tires.8 years IMO is stretching it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
My rule of thumb is new tires every seven years no matter what the vehicle/trailer tread looks like. If I have severe problems with two or more tires before the seven year mark, I replace them all, like I did on my 3750FL in just four years. Only had to replace tires before the seven year mark once in my lifetime. This includes MHs, fifth wheels, truck camper, bass boat, pontoon, harley, etc. I am not a big annual mileage type so that has never been a part of my tire usage.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Dan, I'd look at the date code on the tires, 7 years old change them. If they look good, put on Craigs list if you are in a area where a guy could put them on a farm trailer.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #14
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dan, when you buy new tires just make sure that they don't try to sell you tires that already old check the date they where made.
Reading The Sidewall
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote