Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Highway 50 going to Bryce

Next July we are leaving Southern Oregon heading for Bryce Canyon. I had planned on going across on highway 50 through Nevada rather than using I80. Anyone done this? Goodsam trip planner shows alot of Mountain Directory Advisories from Fernley Nevada to Ely Nevada, but I cannot find out what they are & if they will cause problem. About a 275 mile stretch thru there.
If you can help on the planning....thanks
Backroads

Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Check this site. Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That road is on my bucket list. I might do it without the trailer, then try it with. Regardless, since my BIL just recently retired to Reno, it's closer to reality since DW and I don't mind taking the long way to anything.

Unfortunately, your schedule is ahead of mine so I can't help any more than to agree that beware that it has the "Loneliest Road" nickname. Also the heat in July would make me go through there in Spring or Fall. While it's lonely it's not devoid, but DW would prefer I pick a more potentially populated time of year.

I hope when you go, you provide info and pictures.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We did it a few years ago pulling a 30' fifth wheel and it was just fine. Very interesting scenery and little towns.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Done it both ways now. Some climbs but so what. Finding a l place to park on the street in Austin is another story.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I've gone this way a number of times, with both our first Monty a 3075 and with our current Monty a 3400.

Great trip, be sure to watch for the "shoe tree". The first time we overnighted in Austinm, NV just a gravel parking lot with 4 hook ups but what the heck it was only overnight. We also have stayed in an rv park right on the Utah boarder also just gravel but really big with space for 50+ rigs attached to a truck stop. Also not bad.

The veiws from Austin east are great. There is a big cave you can tour near the Utah line and further west there are lots of old ghost towns not far off Hyw 50.

All in all a great road to travel.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Thanks for all the comments. It looks like a go.
Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A few years ago we towed across NV and UT (to where I-70 starts) on US 50 with no problems. Traffic was close to non-existent. There several small mountain ranges but they were not a problem. However, fill your fuel tank on the flatlands. Those mountain stations rob you blind.

We stopped at an historic site where there once was a Pony Express and Wells Fargo station. In pulling out, with the rig, we needed to turn left onto US 50. Keep in mind we were seeing one other vehicle about every 10 miles. Seriously. So, what happened when we needed to turn left? We had to wait first on a car from the right and then on a car from the left. Just my luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Isn't this the one called "The Lonliest Road in America?"

We followed this one (see above) all the way across Nevada years ago, but not towing a trailer. This was prior to our RVing days.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I hope when you go, you provide info and pictures.
A few pictures -
http://vickiandsteve.com

select 2003 Postcards then scroll to the postcards from May 30, 2003 through June 1, 2003.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Backroads

Next July we are leaving Southern Oregon heading for Bryce Canyon. I had planned on going across on highway 50 through Nevada rather than using I80. Anyone done this? Goodsam trip planner shows alot of Mountain Directory Advisories from Fernley Nevada to Ely Nevada, but I cannot find out what they are & if they will cause problem. About a 275 mile stretch thru there.
If you can help on the planning....thanks
Backroads
I travelled that all the way across from Utah to Placerville, CA several years back. There was a narrow section in California just outside Lake Tahoe but I don't recall any places in Nevada that was any less than enjoyable. It is a seemingly never ending number of pulls, and views like this! Cruise control is a definite requirement.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote