Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We also have used Cracker Barrels and Walmarts. All were great experiences. A nice quiet gen like our Kipor 3000 tucked down in the bed of the pickup is a must. We always check with the mgrs of each establishment. However, due to onboard water supplies and waste tanks, I would not do two of these stops in a row. A CG with dump facilities would be the next night.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We don't have any problem staying in noisy areas. Especially when it's not costing anything. We stayed in a truck stop in Grand Junction, CO. We stopped early afternoon (5 p.m.) and parked way out in the back. When we awoke in the morning, we noted that the truckers had honored us by not parking in the spots right next to us and they didn't run their engines. However, in other parts of the truck stop, trucks were running along with their reefers running. Most truckers are very courteous. Note that I said "most" of them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
You never know who has what these days,I still drive a truck most of the time to pay the bills and camp when I can. I like going down the road checking out the other TTs and 5vers, don't care much for the MH. Most of the time when I see someone stopped at a fuel desk, I'll try to speak, trade opinions and ask advise. Some campers apparently don't like truckers or maybe their just scared of us, we do have a reputation. As was mentioned, truckers can only legally drive for 11 hours, then must rest for 10 and because of a few, they are welcome at very few places. The next time ya'll see someone in a Peterbilt waving like a fool, wave back, it might be me, another Montana owner, just saying howdy ya'll!
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Shotgunred10,
I'll be looking for you! I'll be waving like a fool! In personal interactions with truck drivers we've had nothing but positive responses. The most recent was at a FJ at El Paso. My handicap cart had broken down in the store and this nice trucker helped us get the thing back out to the truck and loaded up! This was someone who we had never seen before and who had no reason to even acknowledge us!

So what color Peterbilt am I looking for?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just one of my jobs before being drafted into the Army and after I retired was a over the Road Truck driver. I ran 38 States and Canada. I can assure you that some Truck drivers do have issues with those of us who are in the RV's. Most call us Happy Campers. However from the Truck drivers view point, I can understand. Most RVer's can go and buy a rig thats 40' long or more with a standard drivers license and drive coast to coast none stop. A Truck driver by law can only drive so many hours before they have to shut down. And then they try to get into a Truck stop and there we are with our RV's taking up a parking spot. Then were does the Truck driver go???? It has happened to me many times. We very seldom use a Truck Stop for overnight. If I did I would use the RV parking area only. For those who haven't driven a Truck its a very hard job, most just see us in those shiny Freightliner, Peterbilts or Kenworths but believe me its a lot more to the job than that. So when you see those Knights of the Road say Hi, they keep America going, without Trucks there will be no America as we know it. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #26
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
It's white with blue fenders and I pull a tanker. I travel mostly MS, AL and a little LA right now, but in case of a serious hurricane, it's anything from Myrtle Beach to Brownsville.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #27
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Shotgunred10,
Thanks for the color scheme of your truck. I do not travel in that area so will probably not be doing the "waving fool" thing. Thanks for adding a bit of humor to what could be a really negative discussion.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #28
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
HamRad, you better git on down here to GOD's country and check it out. Only thing is,you can't go back and tell everyone, we only have just so much room down here and if everybody found out about the place, we'd all have to move somewhere else.
And if means grin..., that means a bunch of grins.