Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Glacier National park

We are planning a trip to Glacier National park in late August. Can anyone give advice on where to camp and anything that you may think is helpful...

Thank you

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hungry Horse has a great park that several of us have enjoyed. I don't think you can go wrong there. I am sure that others will have suggestions but after trying several this one is our favorite.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We stayed the park itself this past summer. You have no power, we had a generator, but enjoyed the scenery, wildlife, and peace and quiet in the park.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The park Helen refers to is Mountain Meadow. It's in Hungry Horse, about 10 miles from the west gate to Glacier. It's a beautiful park, one of our favorite. I know that's the one Helen is referring to because they were in the site next to us when we were there. Glacier is a stunningly beautiful park. Enjoy!

If Mountain Meadow doesn't suit you, there's another nice park just west a little bit. Timber Wolf Resort.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BandJ

We are planning a trip to Glacier National park in late August. Can anyone give advice on where to camp and anything that you may think is helpful...

Thank you
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Hungry Horse has a great park that several of us have enjoyed. I don't think you can go wrong there. I am sure that others will have suggestions but after trying several this one is our favorite.

Helen
Old 04-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you. AS USUAL YOU ARE FULL OF GREAT ADVICE...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

The park Helen refers to is Mountain Meadow. It's in Hungry Horse, about 10 miles from the west gate to Glacier. It's a beautiful park, one of our favorite. I know that's the one Helen is referring to because they were in the site next to us when we were there. Glacier is a stunningly beautiful park. Enjoy!

If Mountain Meadow doesn't suit you, there's another nice park just west a little bit. Timber Wolf Resort.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
We recently made reservations June 3-10 at Mountain Meadows. I expect we won't be dissapointed from what other MOC members have said about the park.

RVfirefighter, you say you camped in the park. I'm curious to know where as we may want to stay longer and and try out our new dual Honda 2000 generators.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Is Mountain Meadows the one that is so steep?
I would recommend North American RV Park in Coram. We stayed there May June, July and most of August last year. Going back this May thru August again.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
FYI This is the latest I have on the Going to the Sun Road:

Well its supposed to open on June 15th to the pass, and then open all the way on July 1st. That is if nothing else bad happens up there. Park service assures me that it will open on time barring any more disasters….

Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Disasters? What happened there?

I tried to find out myself and found this link for current road status:

http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...roadstatus.cfm
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Don, we stayed in the park near St. Marys. We crossed the border near there on the way to Alaska. They have a few sites that are big enough to accommodate big units, but the roads in the campgrounds are tight. We enjoyed this park more than most and the scenery was super.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

Is Mountain Meadows the one that is so steep?
I would recommend North American RV Park in Coram. We stayed there May June, July and most of August last year. Going back this May thru August again.
Illapah, Mountain Meadow was not steep, at least not where we were. It's a pretty good sized place, carved out of the woods. We walked around, just wandering, a few times. I think there may have been a steep part on the far side from where we were but I wouldn't think they'd put any big rigs there. We were on the east side of the park, not far from the office. It's a really beautiful and peaceful park. I looked for some pictures but haven't found them yet.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #14
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Ozzie, I heard that about 60 feet of road on the west side got damaged by avalange. Last year, just east of Logan Pass, they were doing a major repair of the road. I would suspect that this section should be open this year sometime (it was one lane travel). Just west of Logan Pass, they were tearing up the road to put in culverts.
There were a batch of road surveyers with clipboards and others with instruments all over the road last year. I think there is going to be an ongoing upgrade going on for some time.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Illapah, Vicki mentioned you may have been referring to price when you asked if it is the one that is 'steep.' We had the monthly rate so don't know what the daily or weekly rate is. We paid $600 for the month, including wifi and all utilities. That's on the high end of what we're willing to pay but it is a resort area and we were there in peak season (mid-July to mid-August).

I just saw on the Glacier NP website they are removing debris from last November's flood, which I was not aware of. I see on a map an area labeled "avalanche" but thought that is the name of the area in the park. I may be wrong about that.

Vicki found a picture of our site at Mountain Meadow:

What you can't see is on the door side, down in the trees is a picnic table and room for chairs, etc. We had a hammock set up in there.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I love Glacier NP! I do not see how anyone could go wrong spending some time there.... Enjoy your stay!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Steve, you are correct in thinking that Avalanche is a place not an avalanche. I was just up there yesterday and everything looked great to me. I went to take pictures and the roads were clear. I was only able to get as far as McDonald Lake because the roads don't open for summer till the end of the month. If anyone has any questions or wants me to check anything out let me know. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #18
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We stayed last summer at the KOA at St. Marys. The park is convenient to Glacier and there are not many options at St. Marys. I would NOT recommend staying there. They messed up our resverations and the help was rude and not friendly. The worst service I have ever gotten at an RV park.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote