Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Time to Leave Wi. "FROST"

It is time to bail out of the frozen tundra area of Wisconsin, it will be 38 here tonight and 31 tomorrow night. We were planning leaving on the 15th anyway. I sure hope it is going to be warmer at the Rally. This has been a "NON-Summer", two or three days above 80 and the rest between 60 and 75 during the day. There have been many nights that it hit 40 lately too but frost on the 30th of August is a bit much. The last summer I remember like this up here was around 77 and there were not three days in a row above 70 the whole summer and we had snow flurries on Aug 3rd. H. John Kohl is melting over in Pa and we were just wondering where the summer spent it's summer. Well we will see all of you in about two to three weeks at the rally, bring a coat... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
That`s too cold way too early! I think we`re going to have an early fall here in western Pa. even though we had only 1 week of summer . A coat is a definite for the end of September. Even the end of May was very cool at the New York rally. Have a safe trip.Global warming?
Judi and Drew
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

When we were all at Mackinaw Island (during the great Great Lakes Rally), we took a late afternoon carriage ride with Sharon, Dennis and Jennifer. Our carriage driver lacked in some respects, but, interestingly, pointed out a gaggle of geese. His take was, it is gonna be a VERY early winter, as geese are never on the Island at that time. He claimed they were already migrating south to beat the cold weather???

I have no idea if this dude knew squat about squat, so you make what you want of it!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Carol, he isn't too far off, the black berries have already popped here and they almost never hit till late Sept. Also when the seagulls start showing up at the local lakes (they almost never show on our lakes till late fall) it is time to start packing, and they started showing up in July. The Hummers have already left this part of Wi also. All these signs point to an early winter and they have been good signs since I first started coming up here in the mid 50s as a small kid. My grand dad taught me all those signs and so far they have always worked... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave, we are considerably south of you. (Basically Ohio/Michigan state line.) BUT, your comment about the hummers having already left makes me wonder. My feeder was abuz this AM. I even saw three at one time. Two males were flittering back and forth, actually seemed to be fighting over the feeder???

I sat and took 35 photos through the window, and posted 6 on the blog just a few hours ago.

Wonder, if this feeding/fussing frenzy was cause of an early winter?? How very interesting. Ya really do learn something every day!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am so jealous of your cold weather discussion (not freezing mind you, just cold). We are now on our fourth week of 100 or more temperatures. I think the lower states we sucked the heat right out of the northern states. All in all this has been a HOT summer.

AHHHH! I don't like the heat, but I value my relationship with DW much more and she says we must live here, so here we must live.... in the heat..... for weeks at a time.... AHHHHH, did I mention I hate the heat.

Okay, I turned on the fan and the A/C kicked in so I am feeling better know. It's 12:39 PM and 105.6 degrees outside in the shade. Thanks for listening.

I invite all of you to my stickhouse in the heat to share a cold one. Just call ahead so I am home and not at the mall or the movies trying to stay cool on someone else's dime. I have heard we are in another El Nino condition. Combined with global warming, the climates are all a mess.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dave and Betsy, we will be right behind you... We will leave Minneapolis/St Paul on Tuesday if we get the underbelly fixed up after the blowout tomorrow... We would leave earlier byt we have out Dr. appointments on Monday and need a new years perscriptions.. 40 last night and only got to 60 today. We will first go to Portage for a couple of days to see my son and DIL and then to the Indiana Seashore for a bit before going to Elkhart and Goshen.

Safe travels... Let us know if you are on our route.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Abundance of hummers have shown up here lately. Usually 1 or 2 or maybe 3 around my feeders all summer. Yesterday I looked out and there were 4 sitting on one feeder with 2 more buzzing around waiting for a spot. Several more around my other feeder. Makes you wonder what is coming.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We are here in Ma. June was rainy and cold. The sun only showed itself 3 days. July startedt cold and it started to warm up at the end of the month. In august we finally got a few hot days. Today we are on the downturn of temp. Highs in lowere 70's and 55-60 at night. I don't comp much because I like the cool weather, but the locals say they got shortchanged a summer. Our Rally in In. I am betting on cool weather. Have a Good day.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Geez, Dave! Keep that stuff away from me! We are not heading out until the last week in Oct. Don't want to be pulling out in 3 ft of snow...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
hey dave we leave crivitz on sept 9th and head for lower mich to a place about 48 miles above the fair grds,, its called hidden ridge rv at exit 59 on hy 131 at shelbyville, mi last year it was 190.00 a week but the place is great , all concrete slabs and patios ,, if we can hook up let me know sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Normally this time of the year we are burning up. Not this year it has been cool all summer. It is suppose to get down to 46 tomorrow night. That is unheard of for August.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This week we are in the low 90's. Right now it is 83 degrees at 2309 hours (11:09 for civilians)

Hurry up cooler weather.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
They're talking frost possible here in central WI tonight. We're planning our first trek south (to Florida) for the winter..leaving probably the second week in Oct. So, we're excited about that, but we don't want the cold weather to stick around yet! Haven't really had much summer here either this year.
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
37 tonight outside of Milwaukee. The cold is coming fast. Still only calling for highs in the 70's through Labor Day weekend. If the heat is coming, it isn't going to be here long. We are heading to Door County in two weeks for the Door County Century bike ride. I'm curious how te weather will be that weekend? Have a safe trip to Goshen. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Frost advisories out now. Leaving for downstate early this AM right through the coldest part of the state. Better not run inot any ice on the roads here in MI in August... 37 here right now in Bellaire and still dropping (probably for another 2 hours. I told the wife last night because of our proximity to the lake(s) we would not not get below 40. Oops.

No summer really here either. Had the boat out about 7 times and we live on a lake...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Keep calm everyone. Come North. In Washburn on Lake Superior it was only 48 this morning. This is the best time of year. No bugs or mosquitoes nor humidity.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK. It is official. All our northern bretheren need to head south or get out the heavy clothing, or both.
Farmer's Almanac
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Am I the only one who doesn't mind cold weather??? When it gets below 40, our bedroom window gets cracked open. There's nothing like snuggling under a goose down comforter - I sleep like a rock! I don't mind cold days either. I can always add clothes if I'm too cold, but when you get too warm, you can only take off so much before you get arrested! I'd rather run a snow blower than a lawn mower any day!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
After 42 yrs of railroading out in the cold in Mi, its time to call it quits for putting up with winters here. Looking forward to no snow, no feezing, and enjoying the Montana. 2 yrs and counting and full time here we come!!
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote