Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
New electric panel heater

I have installed a new heater in our Monty, I tested it out at my home in the back master suite, cold back there when the heater is off. its 30 feet by 12 feet. it warms up that space well so I'm hoping it will do the same in the Monty. it is a DeLonghi Micathermic Flat Panel Radiator, 750/1500 Watts. I'll be going up north in a few weeks ant that will be a good test for it. and another trip to Arizona north east then into Utah. I know it will be cold in those two places. here are some pictures I have attached just tag on them.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Very nice heater and install. Just one question, How are you going to maintain the heat in your underbelly to keep your tanks warm if the furnace doesn't run regularly, especially when you go up north to cold country.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Very nice heater and install. Just one question, How are you going to maintain the heat in your underbelly to keep your tanks warm if the furnace doesn't run regularly, especially when you go up north to cold country.
Hi Scott That is a good question, I'll try to answer as best I can. What is cold for me and the wife? 19 degrees is the coldest G and I have been in usually we never run the heater gas or electric when we sleep, as for the freezing I always after we shower, I disconnect the water and drain the that hose, we always have our Gray and Galley tanks open and the black is closed and that has never frozen in the 11 years we have had the Monty. When we get up in the AM I usually turn on the gas heater which will throw some heat in the basement along with the electric to brake the chill. the electric heater will maintain the warmth in the daytime. I guess cold weather is when you are stuck for a month or more in the snow which I don't do, 30 days max for us in that small box.
The only down side for this heater is that the screen gets hot so leaning up against it with bare skin is not recommended Ha Ha it will get your attention.
when I drop the under belly I will be installing pipe insulation that rubber or foam type on all the pipes hot and cold.
When we return I'll give a report on the heater and any problems if any. have a great week whats left of it.

Don
Old 01-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Don ... I just have to ask ... by not running any heat at all during the night with weather in the teens, do you have to break ice in the crapper when you get up to go????
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Don ... I just have to ask ... by not running any heat at all during the night with weather in the teens, do you have to break ice in the crapper when you get up to go????
Ha Ha Ha!!! That's why I let the wife go first. she brakes the ice and warms the seat.....LOL
No Ice !!! DieselGuy in the pot. to be honest I think it was getting close to a freeze the water pump had a different tone... it sounded like BURRRRRRR BURRRRRR BURRRRR.
the instruction say if I leave the heater on at # MIN it will maintain 41 degrees in the room I could do that with the furnace leave it at 40 also. I never thought about heating the basement for the freeze thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We've found that one can still save propane & keep the underbelly from freezing by setting the fireplace and a ceramic box heater to medium output and the thermostat to about 62 with outside temps around 20 - 25. The furnace kicks in much less as the electric heat sort of flywheels the inside temperature. Much better than too hot/too cold with just the furnace and nothing freezes underneath.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
In temperatures in the 15 - 25 degree range both of my Montana's had freezing black tank gate valve issues. The only way I prevented it from happening on both my 2008 unit and my new unit was keeping some RV pink in the closed black tank and letting the OEM furnace run once and awhile.

In my experience in these units, you can't cheat the Propane Dealers out of their money.....or if you do you will just be giving 100 times that much to the RV Mobile Tech.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Great looking install. Back in the days when we cold camped we set the temp for the furnace at 55 and used the ceramic heater for heat. When the heater couldn't maintain above 55 then we felt the underbelly needed some help and the furnace would kick on. Used a heated water hose and nothing ever froze.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

In temperatures in the 15 - 25 degree range both of my Montana's had freezing black tank gate valve issues. The only way I prevented it from happening on both my 2008 unit and my new unit was keeping some RV pink in the closed black tank and letting the OEM furnace run once and awhile.

In my experience in these units, you can't cheat the Propane Dealers out of their money.....or if you do you will just be giving 100 times that much to the RV Mobile Tech.
JandC
So what you do is put some RV Pink into the black tank is what I am reading, will that have a reaction to the One Happy Camper chemical I use? and how much do you put in your tank it would seem that a large amount would have to be put in due to the amount of waist that is in the tank (just a number say 1/2 a tank of Black).

DQDick
I will remember that and try it when w go north.