Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Relective Insulation On Windows

We will be storing our Monty for the summer in southern Arizona.
Many people install the silver reflective insulating material on the inside of their windows to reduce light and heat in the living space.
We have dual pane windows, plus have installed tint on the inside of all the windows. In addition to the tint, we want to install the reflective insulation on all windows that will be exterior with the slides in. This is to reduce heat and sunlight while in storage over the hot summer months.
Any recommendations, or experiences on this would be appreciated. Thanks

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Be sure you talk to a knowledgeable window tint company. Some tint, when put on the inside or outside of dual pane windows will cause the windows to fail. It must be a special kind, sorry, don't know what kind that is. Dual windows are tricky, I found a company that does windows on houses that was up to speed on everything. The company that tinted the windows in my truck had no clue.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, it's real important to talk with the experts (I don't mean the first shmo that answers the phone and thinks they know it all). You need documentation.

What's been explained to me is the problem with using tint or foil on the inside of dual pane windows is that these reflect additional heat into the area between the panes which cause far more heat pressure than the windows are designed for and this could cause failure of the seals which would compromice the interior of the dual pane windows. They could crack or break the seal which then defeats the gains of the insulation.

It's more than someone making a claim. All vendors must line up even the window tinting people when the window people say don't do it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue just installed the tint material we bought at Home Despot, that was way back in '08. No problems so far.
http://s112.photobucket.com/user/JimsSue13/library/Ozzsmods101/rear%20window%20film

I re-read your post, I guess you have already done the inside.
I don't see what any exterior cover could harm, but I don't think it would hold up.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
And don't forget to fill your toilet with water. We forgot two years ago and all the water evaporated and ruined the seal. We stored our trailer in Chandler, flew back to Seattle, returned two months later and had this to deal with. Spent the next day looking for a kit to rebuild the seal instead of heading for our next destination. I've been told some people will also wrap the toilet with plastic (like Saran) to help with stopping the water evaporation.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The dual pane windows are not of a sealed type. They are simply two panes of glass that are spaced about 1/4 apart with a rubber seal like material that separates the two panes. I guess that wee bit of air space may give a fraction of an R factor plus the added noise reduction. The two large ones at the rear of the unit are very flexible and when pushed from outside or inside will touch the opposite pane. One questions how this glass stays in placewhile travelling??
Thanks for the tip on the toilet, we will do that application for sure.
My application is: Both panes are partially tinted from the factory, we have added the extra tint on the inside of the inner pane, plus installed the silver reflective insulation on the inside of the inner pane. Temperature here is already into the low 90s and exterior glass does not get any hotter than the unit body in direct sunlight so I think we'll be okay.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote