Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Finally, got our new G614s

Just got back from having our 614s installed. We also got a dedicated mattress for the rig today also. So between the tires and the mattress we just dumped 2500 dollars. We will be heading west in mid to late Sept to make the balloon Rally in Albuquerque then hopefully a workamping job. Just feels good to have the good tires finally. Because we didnt get them earlier we had two catastrophic tire failures and a lot of damage to the rig. Hopefully that is at an end...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Your rig will sleep better now that you got it a mattress and you'll sleep better with the 614's
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
With all of the overall concerns when towing, it is nice not to have to be so worried about a tire failure. Sure it might happen, but I am a lot less worried about it with the G614s than I would have been with the Marathons and can concentrate more towing more than worrying about a blowout. By the way, I still have mine if anyone wants them! LOL

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You can always make a tire swing for your grandchildren with the Marathons.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

aBy the way, I still have mine if anyone wants them! LOL

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The swing is a good idea, but only if you GrandKids a little, as they grow up the swing might explode.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
harrisje66
Established Member

M.O.C. #12415
Greetings, Well I got to the campground and guess what....The "foot" had come off of one of the legs.So, I put a block under it and raised up the trailer off the hitch. Where can I get a new "Foot"?I don't know how that carter pin came off and caused the foot to drop. Please help me . I need wisdom.lol
harrisje66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
(harrisje66) you can get a new foot at most camping stores.

I kept all of the old tires, none have more than 2000 miles on them except the Marathon. I had 4 different brands on the rig, the spare was a Mission which was an original and has only been used when I blew a Marathon. I have only one Marathon left after blowing the other three. I have one Carlyle which was the only thing I could get at the time, and two Good Rides which were also the only thing I could get at the time. The Good Rides still have some of the rubber whiskers on them, and they look very much like the 614s but I wasn't going to take a chance. I will get on the phone Monday morning to the local swap meet program and see if anybody wants them...
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
congrats
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, So I guess you feel the 614's are not "Overkill" as someone on here keeps espousing. I never thought such a safety item could be overkill. If nothing else I sure felt better riding on good rubber. I did have three flats on the Chinese made tires but never a trailer damaging blowout. I was lucky, I guess, of course, I had the pressure pro system on all ten tires from the get go and it saved me a couple times. One was noticed in a campground. Happy motoring!!!!!

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Dave, So I guess you feel the 614's are not "Overkill" as someone on here keeps espousing. I never thought such a safety item could be overkill. If nothing else I sure felt better riding on good rubber. I did have three flats on the Chinese made tires but never a trailer damaging blowout. I was lucky, I guess, of course, I had the pressure pro system on all ten tires from the get go and it saved me a couple times. One was noticed in a campground. Happy motoring!!!!!

Phil
You have to remember that Dave's trailer is heavier than many of ours. Not only because it's a Big Sky, but because he has all that old navy diving equipment to lug around...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I will eventually get the TST system, but none of my tire disasters would have been avoided with a monitoring system. In all cases the tread came off and beat the crap out of the rig well before the tire actually blew out. As far as "Overkill" is concerned there is no such thing. If we ever get a newer rig I will pay the difference in cost with the dealer and have the wheels and tires upgraded to 17.5 inch and the hubs changed to 9/16 inch lugs. The tires will be G-114 or equivalent 17.5 ST tires with a weight rating of 4750 EACH. That will give me a 40% buffer over the G-614s (3750) and even that won't be "Overkill"....
Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave, the problem with going overboard is the ride suffers and you end up shaking everything in the trailer loose.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Dave, the problem with going overboard is the ride suffers and you end up shaking everything in the trailer loose.
Only IF you overinflate the tires past the Tire and loading chart. I never inflated my 614's past 95 psi. Just because a tires max psi is higher doesn't mean you should inflate to that amount....I thought this was elementary...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
All my tires are now at 95 lbs. I am going by the weight from the last rally and the rig is basically empty at the moment. We start loading this weekend. We off loaded several hundred lbs (400+) of stuff that we carried for 3 yrs and used once if that. We will hit the road light this year so Betsy can do some shopping in the south west and we will have room for all the Cocopeli goodies she can find. I figure that since we have been off the road for as long as we normally are on the road (10 months) we have dragged so much stuff out of the rig that it will take us 3 to 5 weeks to get what we need out of the house and back into the rig..
Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:

Only IF you overinflate the tires past the Tire and loading chart. I never inflated my 614's past 95 psi. Just because a tires max psi is higher doesn't mean you should inflate to that amount....I thought this was elementary...
It is elementary, but not universally followed. Go around checking the rear tires on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if you don't believe me. Many people run their tires over inflated.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is elementary, but not universally followed. Go around checking the rear tires on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if you don't believe me. Many people run their tires over inflated. I even had a guy at a tire store argue with me when I told him to drop my rear tire pressure to 60lbs on tires with a 80lb rating, because the door sticker said 80lb.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My one flat tire with the Marathons was an inside tire separation and small hole when it blew.Heard a noise and looked at my TPS and it started blinking with no air pressure. Fortunately no damage to the trailer.. We did that later when a tree JUMPED out and caused some major damage. Won't say who was driving.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I have to agree that the dealers or tire shops will only go by the placard or sidewall - it's like they've never heard of load ratings. I bet a lot of people run the G614s at 110 when they don't need it. I'm at 95 like a lot of you have posted and that's probably still a bit high since we don't fulltime.

Here's one for you. The trailer dealer installed our G614s. They should by regulation I feel, be required to change the placard if they change the psi, but they aren't apparently. So, even though the new tires were 110 rated, they would only go by the placard which was still 80 from the Marathons - but they installed the new tires and should have known to check if the psi was different. Oh well, just had to go put them to 95.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote