Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Quote: "And just to add to the discussion, the design minimum height recommendation for bridge clearances on the Interstate highway system is 14 feet in urban areas and 16 feet in rural areas. Comments, and verifiable sources to dispute this are welcome since we all (particularly me with the unexpectedly high Montana) obviously need to be aware of the laws!
Bingo"

I find that interesting, so I contacted the DOT folks here in Georgetown, Texas about the height trees that overhang the main thoroughfare leading to I-35, thinking my unit would not clear. Sure enough, they came back with:

"Mr. Mxxxxx,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The fire code requires 13 ft 6 inches clearance from the street for emergency apparatus and this is the height at which our street crews will generally trim. so you will probably have to proceed with caution if your vehicle is 14 feet.

Maybe the drought will keep them from making any new branches If I was a tree, I'd hold off growing til it started raining again.

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with,

(signed)

(512) 930-3655 office

Isn't that interesting, and a sense of humor thrown in to boot.

larrymul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #42
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

It is a violation of state and federal law to operate a vehicle on the Interstate highways that is higher than 13’6”.

I think you need to contact Keystone. They have put a statement on the ID sticker stating the trailer meets DOT standards.

Phil P
Bingo you are correct except for Interstate highways.

The interstate highway is limited to 13’6”. The reason for the Interstate system was to provide uniform regulations for the transport of goods by highway. The states can approve higher limits for state roads but not the interstate highway system. Florida has approved vehicle weights to 88,000LBs but this vehicle is prohibited by Federal regulations from going on Interstate highways. The same with double trailers. The interstate system only allows 2 trailers 28.5 feet long but on local roads the state can approve the longer trailers. Florida has approved by permit 2 53' trailer but not on the interstate.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #43
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree that the federal regulations cover weight, but I do not think they cover height. I may be wrong (have been before), and will stand corrected if the regulation can be referenced and cited. I acknowledge that there are federal laws that govern the weight and length of allowable vehicles on the Interstate Highway system.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #44
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The standards for Interstate highways call for 16' clearance in rural areas and 14' in urban areas with a least one route having 16'clearance
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Intersta...hway_standards
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #45
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Charlie, that is what I stated before and you are correct on the standards per the construction aspect of the Interstate system, however, to clarify so there is no confusion amongst the MOC, those are not height limitations on the vehicles, but rather the standards for clearance of overpasses, bridges, etc.
Bingo
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #46
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just talked to one of our DOT inspectors. He is certain the federal regulations regulate the vehicle height to 13’6”. He said he would look it up and give me a regulation number when he had time.

The web site 8.1 al refers to is the regulation for construction of the Interstate highways.

When I get a permit for over width (30’) over length (70’) and over height (30’) we are not allowed to even encroach on the right of way for an Interstate highway. This takes a lot of planning to move a building that big. Kind of glad we sold the business about 10 years ago.

When I get an over height permit for moving an aircraft fuselage which is only over height I get the same limitation no Interstate not even the right of way to get around a traffic light at an interchange.

Phil P
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #47
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As I stated previously, if the regulation can be referenced and cited, I will stand corrected and will admit it. Not trying to belabor the subject, I just want to make sure we put the correct information out there and not have another case of "I saw it on the internet, therefore I know it is true." The members of the MOC deserve and I hope expect, the correct information. It is an important subject, since if my rig measures above 13'6" this weekend, I will then at least know that I am in violation of my states height limit, although, personally I don't think a couple of inches is an issue, simply because we are exempt from inspection stations, and I don't think anyone can visually look at a rig going down the road, and say, "Whoa there, he is 2" over the legal height, I need to pull them over and write a ticket". The last part is my opinion only, and others may have different opinions!
Bingo
Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #48
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Bingo you are correct 23 CFR 658 does not set a maximum height.

What my DOT inspector told me was the height restriction is contained in the original grant documents that the federal money was allotted with. For this reason the inspection station and weight stations on Interstate Highways are required to check commercial vehicles for a maximum height of 13’6”. This applies to all states that have accepted federal funding for the Interstate Highway system.

He said that if you really want it he can get you the document numbers to verify this with.

Phil P
Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Forget the regulations! Nobody is going to pull you over, whip out their tape measure, climb on the roof and measure anything. Let's trust Keystone to put out a unit that isn't over what they say is the maximum height. HOWEVER, it IS incumbent on the owner to know the exact height of his/her trailer when it's hooked up and level not only for their own safety but for mine and yours as well!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #50
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Forget the regulations! Nobody is going to pull you over, whip out their tape measure, climb on the roof and measure anything. Let's trust Keystone to put out a unit that isn't over what they say is the maximum height. HOWEVER, it IS incumbent on the owner to know the exact height of his/her trailer when it's hooked up and level not only for their own safety but for mine and yours as well!
X2
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #51
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with you Ron, and that is the way I feel also. But there is still a tinge of curiosity as to what a DOT inspector in Florida thinks he is enforcing versus a DOT inspector in Utah is enforcing. I have a very hard time believing that a DOT inspector in Utah is going to issue a citation for a 13'11" load when the state law emphatically states the maximum is at 14', because of some funding agreement. Now, with that said and since my curiosity is killing me, I had to send an e-mail to our Federal DOT Headquarters to hopefully get verification of what is enforced one way or the other. Sorry, I can't help myself!! If by chance I can elicit a reply, I will post the results. Until then, I will satisfy myself with going to the rig this weekend and doing some measuring.
Bingo
Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #52
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Kyle,
Am I correct in assuming that the front AC is a full height model?
Bingo, yes, ours is the full height unit from the factory.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #53
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Trying to talk DW into going to the mini-storage so I can measure. Got a straight 2x4 and a 48" carpenter's level by the garage door. I am not doing too well on the convincing though, it may have to wait until tomorrow after Church. Thanks, Kyle, sounds exactly like ours.
Bingo
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #54
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Ok I was able to talk to and old friend that retired from the Florida DOT many years ago.

Here is how the Federal Government required the states to enact rules, regulations and laws to enforce the 13’6” height restriction on commercial vehicles traveling on interstate highways.

Starting in 1959 when the Federal Government really started giving money to the states to build the Interstate Highway system they required as part of the qualifications to obtain the money to enact rules, regulations and laws limiting the commercial vehicles to 13’6”.

He says that he doesn’t know any thing about other states but Florida all ready had this limit imposed on the commercial vehicles in this state thru the Public Utilities Commission that regulated the trucking industry in the state.

So the DOT inspector in Utah should have a state rule, regulation or law to enforce on interstate highways only and a different rule, regulation or law for local highways.

The Florida DOT inspector is enforcing a Florida Rule under the Uniform Traffic Code established under Administrative Law some time in the 70’s.

So the web site information about the different states having different height restrictions is correct for local highways and a good reference to use when you get off of the Interstate Highway specialty the one that are lower than 13’6” they are supposed to have enacted rules, regulations and laws that restrict or allow 13’6” heights on the Interstate.

He also informed me that during construction fazes the states are allowed to have overpasses on the Interstate that are lower than the federal requirement but must provide detour routs around them.

Bottom line is you should careful about knowing your trailer height and being aware that the posted clearance on an overhead obstruction that is close to your trailer height should be approached carefully.

Phil P
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #55
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Shoulda, woulda, coulda. It is all hearsay with no verifiable facts or references being presented to the forum. As of now, I still stand by my previous statements. If I receive an email from the federal DOT verifying that the states have primacy with regards to vehicle heights, I will post it. If anyone can provide a verifiable reference (please exclude old friend's and relatives) and or cite a verifiable source, I will retract my statements. I still agree with everyone that measurement of your rig is a must, I have never disputed that, hopefully today I will get that done.
Bingo
Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #56
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
From the Federal Highway Administration
http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publ...egs_final_rpt/

The regulations in this brochure are found in Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 23 CFR Part 658. They reflect statutory provisions found in the U.S. Code (USC), 49 USC 31111, 31112, 31113, and 31114.

There is no Federal vehicle height requirement for CMVs. Thus, States may set their own height restrictions
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #57
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Charlie
Thanks for the post, nice to see some verification of the rule.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #58
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
The unit height of our 3750FL ..... 0'0"

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #59
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

The unit height of our 3750FL ..... 0'0"

Yep, you're good to go, ha! Doesn't really matter since all the bantering here boils down to commercial vehicles and CYA for low overpasses. I think we're done...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #60
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Trying to talk DW into going to the mini-storage so I can measure. Got a straight 2x4 and a 48" carpenter's level by the garage door. I am not doing too well on the convincing though, it may have to wait until tomorrow after Church. Thanks, Kyle, sounds exactly like ours.
Bingo
Bingo, maybe she didn't hear you say you were buying her brunch on the way...