Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another home honey-do close to complete

Even though we live directly on a river, the DW refuses to swim with the minnows, turtles, fish, etc. in the river. So her latest project was to have an above ground pool installed and of course she had to have a deck around it. The deck installation was her latest honey-do project and of course the labor fell directly in the lap of dear old dad! I must confess that she helped immensely and even told me that she learned a lot in the process. She was nice enough to also let me know that I could work evenings and weekends to get-r-dun!! Most of the construction is complete, other than some lattice installation around the bottom of the deck, and I must have to admit, that it turned out pretty good, since I have to confess, I had never attempted any similar project other than the dock. For those who are interested, here are a couple of photos of the final installation. The only bad thing about this, is I hardly got to use the pool since I was too busy building, but at least it will be ready for next year:

Here is a view showing the majority of the project:

View from the porch (still have to construct and install the gate):

View from the deck itself towards the porch:

View from the deck towards the gate location on the porch:

View from the deck towards the embayment at the side of the house:

View from the deck towards the river:

As I said, it turned out pretty good for a rookie, Momma is happy with it, which as everyone knows is all that matters!! Now I just wonder what she will want next??

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Looks great!
Nothing like a job well done that you did yourself. Now for pictures of you IN the pool enjoying the fruits of your labor.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very nice, professional job. You should be proud of it.
You are a smart, talented guy. The missus made a wise choice when she picked you.
Now, don't screw it up by doing something stupid.
(Spoken by a man on his third marriage...slow learner.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
Very nice!
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It’s really thoughtful of Cathy to allow you the evenings and the weekends to “Get-R-Dun” it looks really nice. Now you got to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Let her bring you something to drink while you soak in the pool and collect some solar rays!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
beautiful job, I have to ask since I am not a pool guy,what are those oct. shaped things in the pool? my guess is some sort of solar blanket???
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Yes it is a new type of solar blanket that is a lot easier to handle than the 15' x 30' beast that would cover the entire pool. They attach to each other by velcro along the edges so you only have to handle one section at a time. I still need about six more of them to get decent coverage of the pool, but will wait until Spring for them. The other Spring addition that DW has already emphasized needs added is an electric heat pump to extend the swimming season. I will do the dedicated electric wiring install over the winter and be prepared for March installation!
Bingo
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
That's beautiful!! DW has such good taste!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Bingo. If you hadn't told us, I would have thought a team of pool and deck professionals had done the install. And what a beautiful location with the river so close.
As far as all the work and time you put into it, you'll feel good every time you look at it for many years to come.

Dave and Ivy
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The funniest part of the project happened when we (Cathy and I) were setting the vertical 4x4's that support the structure as well as extend up through the post sleeves that are shown. Cathy was brave enough to volunteer to set the deck blocks that the posts would set on. She would get upset when I would string them and tell her that this one or that one would have to move a half-inch. She would respond that surely a half-inch does not matter that much!! When I started to put the railing together and called her out to show her the end results, I reminded her about her previous assertion that a half-inch surely wouldn't matter. When I explained that the rails were mounted perpendicular and looked a lot better in a straight line, I think she saw the light with regards to the final appearance up on the deck itself and how it all began with the proper placement of the deck blocks. The perils of being married to an engineer I guess! LOL! I did enjoy the project and it does feel good to go out and be on something that we built together. Thanks for the compliments.
Bingo
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ya know for a coal miner that is not a bad looking job. Question is - when is the big "reveal party" so we can all come over and make a big splash in the pool?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil,
You know you all are welcome to come on by any time. Beware though, I did all this work, got the project complete, and now it is time to close the pool for the winter! Figures! But I did sneak a quick run up and down the river on the Jet-Ski yesterday!! As bad as it sounds, it seems like I am back to annual ritual of waiting for Spring!! One more weekend camping trip planned in a couple of weeks and the annual trek to Topsail in Florida at Thanksgiving and that is it for the year for the Montana as well.
Bingo
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Great place to lounge even if not in the pool. Looks very relaxing .Nice work!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
If DW is happy then Bingo is happy . Nice work, time to go bluegill fishing in your pool behind the new one?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Took a break after the river excursion on the ski and fished a little yesterday evening. First time I had wet a line in over a month. Caught one, a 14", largemouth bass, which was returned to it's home happily. It was fun. Not a lot of bluegills there (it is actually a bay off of the river), however, we can stand on the porch (and now the pool deck) and see carp in the bay. A few catfish are caught there as well.
Bingo
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Nice view from the pool.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #17
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
It is beautiful.......
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
You do wonderful work! It looks beautiful!
luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
VERY NICE JOB Bingo, you should be proud of it. I too was going to ask what white things in the pool were.

You really are right on the river, do you have any flooding problems? Up here in the Mid-Atlantic area with all the rain we've had, you'd be flooded out, 12 inches of rain last month, and 8 inches this month. Today, with all the rain, most of the creeks are close to overflowing their banks, AGAIN!!!!

ENJOY your pool and sweet looking deck.....
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Those solar heaters look just like Ice slabs in a thawing lake in northern Wisconsin. I was going to comment on the weather there but this year y'all get to laugh at us freezing our butts on the Mich/Wisconsin border. Nice looking pool Bingo. I would love a pool here but I don't share with bears and deer well. And by the time it thaws in the spring you have about 5 days of warm weather before the snow starts again...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote