Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
There's Cold in Them Thar Hills

Can you believe it? Blizzard conditions are being seen in southeast Arizona at Sierra Vista. The DW and I spent Christmas 2009 at Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and got snowed on then. Hey! That ain't supposed to happen in SE Arizona. I thought the idea of being a "snowbird" was to fly away from snow...not to it. :-)))

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I thought the same thing when it snowed on me in southern California in December 1967 and then in Okinawa, also in a December, only that time in 1973. Seemed for a while there snow was following me around. Having grown up in the northeast, I had my fill of really cold weather and snow...I do like to see snow, only on the TV.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I was down in Apache Junction AZ this afternoon and it was snowing there for a few minutes, very strange weather.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just remember, Tell you're self: Global Warming, Global Warming, Global Warming.
Rochester, NY set a record for the most Snow in December ever, yep, Global Warming
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's unfortunate that global warming has quite the opposite affect than one would expect (at least it did for me, at first). If temperatures are higher on the average how come the temperatures are seeing record lows in the winter? I read long ago it might have something to do with the fact that the loss of the ozone in the atmosphere is the cause that not only allows too much heat in from the Sun, but a allows a lot of cold when there is no Sun.

IIRC, if the ozone which insulated the planet from the universe's atmosphere is removed this means more heat gets through from the Sun which then heats up the planet, melting snow and ice and such. Then an opposite affect occurs for the parts that are farther from the Sun during the normal earth's rotation (like in winter). The lack of ozone then allows more cold into the atmosphere when the Sun doesn't shine and therefore colder temperatures in Winter especially at night when there is no sunshine. Has anyone else heard or read this? It kinda makes sense why winters are colder but I don't remember for sure and then again I am not sure of the merits of that theory I read anyway.

This morning, in sunny Southern California, specifically, Murrieta, CA, it was 32 degrees at 8:00am on the last day of 2010! Unbelievable! Now at 9:00 it's up to 34 degrees! This kind of cold tells me that it's even colder where most of you are. The car and truck have frost wherever the sunlight does not hit. I might have to invest in an ice scraper, or stay indoors until noon when it's warm enough.

Good thing we're retired and can choose when to leave the house. I'll stay here and eat the homemade tamales DW and I just made. We are currently at 6 dozen and not even halfway done.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Just remember, Tell you're self: Global Warming, Global Warming, Global Warming.
Rochester, NY set a record for the most Snow in December ever, yep, Global Warming
All it takes is to propose some fantasy and then to manufacture the dats to support that fantasy and POOF you have some new reality. Amazing isn't it.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Even the best laid plans can go awry. It's not swimsuit weather here in Duluth, Mn either.
eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
How about 14inches of snow and -9 in Moab, Utah! Crazy weather for sure
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

IIRC, if the ozone which insulated the planet from the universe's atmosphere is removed this means more heat gets through from the Sun which then heats up the planet, melting snow and ice and such. Then an opposite affect occurs for the parts that are farther from the Sun during the normal earth's rotation (like in winter). The lack of ozone then allows more cold into the atmosphere when the Sun doesn't shine and therefore colder temperatures in Winter especially at night when there is no sunshine. Has anyone else heard or read this? It kinda makes sense why winters are colder but I don't remember for sure and then again I am not sure of the merits of that theory I read anyway.
What the Ozone layer does is that it filters out harmful UV rays. Sunburn and skin cancer among other damaging things is one result of UV rays. This is why in places the Ozone layer has been depleted they recommend suncreen with a higher SPF. The Ozone layer is not an insulating blanket from the heat or cold.

Tim
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Us old guys can tell the young that weather changes over the years. Lots of cold lots of snow then very hot, a lot of rain or no rain, good weather bad weather. The weather flip flops over the years. The problem now is we have all the people padding their pockets by pushing climate change. Its the high tech times and doom and gloom sells.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Brad,
Hey! Don't forget that your elevation down in that part of the world is almost a mile high! Sierra Vista is about 4600+ feet high so you're gonna get some cooler weather just because of the elevation. I'm guessing Phoenix at only about 1200 feet elevation would be a bit warmer.

If I'm out on the road "It's all good"! If too cold I'll hook up and find someplace a little warmer. If too hot will find someplace cooler! Not hard to do with our rigs.

See you all in Q. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, Casa Grande is 1397', according to CityData.com, and sits about half way between Phoenix and Tucson (probably a little closer to Phoenix), AND, this morning at 0730 is was 28 degrees. Some of our Canadian friends in the park are saying "We didn't pay for this cold weather, we could have stayed home and had this"! I think it is rather funny. I do not believe in the concept of "Global Warming" but I do believe we are depleting the ozone layer. More UV rays do mean more skin related problems.. Luckily the cold only lasts a few days at a time here.... Have a great year and safe travels to all............
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote