Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Another meltdown

We are parked next to a 06 2955 Montana here in a C.G in Southern , Ohio.. He had exactly the same meltdown we had, same place, same wiring, worse results since they did not get the power shut down soon enough. So our meltdown was not as isolated as some thought. It happend twice..My guess is has happened a lot more than that. What drew my attention to the 2955 was that it had the 06 Colors and graphics, did not have the new nose, it had a blue awning and no docking station. The owner was supprised that mine was a 2006 as his was a 2006 and he thought the ones with the new nose, docking station, etc were 2007's. His build date was Nov 2005. Note that Montana's are a very rare sight in these parts..they are rarely seen.

So he got a .. tweener... surprise, surprise..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Meltdown??? Do you mean the converter got surged??? Or was there an electrical fire or something?
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As in my melt down the charge wire from the convertor that runs back along the frame rubbed against the frame and shorted out causing a melt down of all the wireing in 7 connector plug as well a ssome of the Montana. Same meltdown in two Montana's...Hummmmmm,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
While doing some work under the Monty I also decided it was time to look at the wires. Here is some of the ways I chose to fix the problems.

Placed a short piece of hose around the now wrapped wires as they passed over a brace that holds up the lower cover.

Bundled and wrapped wire all along the drivers side of Monty. Luckily my 2500RL does not have screws on the inside of frame to cut wires like some have posted. I removed 6 feet of the red positive wire Rich talked about in the earlier post. I guess this is the case of one size fits all?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote