Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tire problem?

Ok tire experts.. Just noticed this on our 5K trip we just completed. On the camper Right side , front axle tire.The outside is showing wear about 2 inches in??? The tire on the other side shows normal and even wear as well as the tires on the other axle. The PSi is kept a 80 and is constantly monitored by The Doran pressure system... What is that all about??

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Rich, Does this bad tire have an even wear around the entire tire? Does it show any side wall depressions? I noticed mine had this happen but didn't think failure was about to happen...well it did as a belt tore loose leaving the tread somewhere on I95 north bound lane just short of exit 53.
Alignment would show on both sides of same axle....unless the spindle flange was welded off line.
Try running your palm over the surface of that tire looking to feel any ripple to the surface as this may also be clue to a separation in the fabric wrap under the rubber shell. Let us know if any further clues or you discover the answer.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Rich,

I think noneck is on the right track with the alignment thing. The spindle that wheel is on could be misaligned, either toe in, or camber. Either one could cause unusual wear on one tire with the rest wearing normally. Usually, if the tire is the problem, the wear pattern would not be the same all the way around the tire, but would have lumps and smooth places.

Hope this helps.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
LonnieB..Exactly as described. Guess we won't make it to your tire place for new shoes..Some folks have been getting Goodyears but my tire guys could not find one that met the load spec's for the 3400.. I know you told me before but I can't find the post...What would you suggest.. the Missions are ST 235/80 R16

can we go with st 235/85 R16's he says they are about 1 inch higher. How about a LT tire???
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I'm not answering as a tire expert because I am not. I just wanted to mention the Goodyear tires that were used on Montanas were the Marathon tire. Goodyear Marathon is what it said on the sidewall. Also there now is a G series tire. G in the model number that some put on their trailers. I think they're a higher load rating than the E tires. Probably G rated.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Can someone explain to me why they make ST tires if LT tires can be used on trailers? It would seem more efficient to just make LT tires for both trucks and trailers.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The answer is CUBIC DOLLARS.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The trailer tires are designed different then the light truck tires.There are several posts on on trailer life and as I understand the stress load on the rv tires is different then truck like when u are backing up the tires move different aand like wisr I am no expert anymore
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I was told at the Life on Wheels Conference that the trailer tires have a higher sidewall rating as whenever you turn, two tires are always skidding. Sounds good to me!!!! At least that's what the experts (?) say....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes on what Phil said.. We will stick with ST tires...I wanted to go with LT tires on my previous camper because they were less money but after a lecture of tires we stayed with the St's.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

I was told at the Life on Wheels Conference that the trailer tires have a higher sidewall rating as whenever you turn, two tires are always skidding. Sounds good to me!!!! At least that's what the experts (?) say....
I was told basically the same thing. Sidewall flex is what separates the ST from the LT tires. I had thought about the LT's, but after seeing the way the axles move around when maneuvering around to back in here at the home base, I'll stay with the ST's.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are leaning toward Goodyear Marathons . Load range E for our tire replacement.We had a set of them on our previous Rv with good results..Had a long talk with a Tire guy who only deals with truck and Rv tires...He knew Mission tires and said he would not handle them.Said they are good for his business and many Rv'ers come in to have them replaced or with failures. We have not had problems with ours...yet...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Sorry Rich and others, I'm not ignoring the questions, I've just been extremely busy. Kinda like the proverbial, one legged man in an a#% kicking contest.

The Goodyear I was talking about was the LT235/85R16 G614 14 ply, not the Marathons. Steve, my Goodyear distributor doesn't like the Marathons either. As far as ST/LT goes, I'm not going to reopen that can of worms, as it has been debated, discussed, and cussed several times. I will say however, when the tires on my Montana are replaced it will be with LT235/85R16, load range E tires, probably Bridgestone.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the feedback..Goodyear Marathons are out as they are load range D tires. If we go to a F rating would we also have to get new rims as F rated tires are 110PSI. We are now considering the Cooper LT 235/85R16 SRMll Radial LT.

As for the LT/ST issue..I am no expert so I ask the advise of Experts and so far all of them say.. the LT is OK.My tire guy took me in the back room and pulled a LT and ST tire off the rack and said see if you can tell any difference in the side wall..I thought the Lt was stiffer???? Why is it that nothing is easy??
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Maxxis makes a very good ST and LT tire. I got the LT Maxxis 235/85/16 on mine. Got tired of running down the road thinking that a Mission tire would blow up any moment. Nothing worse than not having confidence on the tires you ride on!
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Mission tires have served us well..about 18 K miles and I am starting to feel uneasy so new shoes are in order
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, Goodyear Marathons are available in load range E. Montana used to come with them. Unless they've stopped making them in LR E. When I replaced them I went with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A in an LT size. That was on the prior Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #18
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Yesterday while traveling on I295 in Maine I had my first tire blowout. It not only blew out it shredded the tire and the fender(?) around it. Needless to say it is a Mission tire. Does anyone know how to contact the Mission distributor? While I don't think I'll replace it with another Mission I still want satisfaction.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
richfaa, Our Cambridge is running Goodyear LT 235/85/R16, G614RST. They require 110 lbs of air. I run them at 110 lbs. We have about 20,000 + miles. We only had problems with the Tredit wheels, we had two crack. We are running Alcoa Aluminum wheels. What ever tire you decide on make sure your wheels will handle the air pressure. As most people know the Cambridge is very heavy, we also have the Pressure Pro monitoring system and want leave home without it.

Just yesterday we came up on a MH with two blown tires. Major damage and a 4 hr wait for AAA road side service. And no cell phone signal in the area. Lucky for him we have a Chevy Classic 1 ton with the On-Star system and we made the service request for those nice folks.

If and when we do change tires I will look very close at Michelin tires. We run Michelin on most everything and have never had any problems at all. They are a little pricey but look what rides on them. Good Luck on your choice..... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That goodyear LT235/85/R16 G614RST is a fine tire ..a bit pricey at @245.00 per tire They are F rated tires and the OEM rims on the 3400 are not designed to handle the PSI.Since we travel alot we are looking at name brand tires that can be easily purchased or Repaired nation wide. We do now have the Doran tire pressure monitor system .We are sure it will prevent the majority of the tire disasters we see on the road. Nothing can alert you to the "sudden and catastrophic failure"(blowout)Of a tire but most failiures are caused by low pressure causing them to to seperate from the rim and from that point on you can not tell the difference, blowout or not. The system also can tell you the cold PSI at a glance so tire pressure is monitored at all times..