Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Shackles installation

Ok, for you who have done this conversion of the Al-Ko Shackles, bushings, equalizer, and bolts to the Dexter upgrade kit, is there anything tricky about the installation that I should be forewarned about? If there is a previous posting, would like to check it out.

Kudos to Dexter. The factory sent me to a local distributor to save me cost and postage. Helpful and polite folks at Dexter.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Stiles
We had the dexter axle conversion put on when we bought the camper new. It was a 03 mountaineer TT with AL-KO axles. It went right on with no problems at all. Before you do that I would check with TRAIL-AIR on the EQUA-FLEX system for the Big Sky. I have install them on ours since we got back from Branson and what little I have got to use it[From Kettelsen's to our home WHAT A DIFFERENCE]. We will be going out the 5 of July for about 100 miles and will find out for sure.Friend bought SOB that it came with from the factory and they said in the first 10 miles they could tell a big difference. With the Trailer-Saver hitch and the Equa-Flex ours should ride like on a cloud.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Stiles,

Unless you're feeling ambitious, I'd take it to an axle shop.

If you do it yourself, support both sides at the frame with jacks, but you can work with only jacking up one side off the ground at a time. I'd even hook up to your TV for more stability. Jack up the side, remove the wheels, then put blocks under the axle at the U-bolts. Lower the jack so there is no pressure either way (up or down) on the springs. Needs to be totally relaxed or you'll get a surprise when you pull the shackle bolt.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Stiles,
I Jacked one side at a time put blocks under the frame.
After removing the wheels I put a block under each wheel drum to support them until I had finished each side.
I used a large c clamp to push the new brass shims into place. It was not a bad or hard job once the rig was on blocks.
Hope this helps.
This is a link to Hamrad's photos when he did it.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...703&uid=954271
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote