Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wall failure in kitchen

This is a post on a problem I have. I've talked to other Montana owners with the same failure.
Could anyone who has had the same problem with the wall respond?
The wall is in my 3400RL kitchen. To the left of the stove on the wall where the hot water heater and the propane detector is.
Thanks for your feedback. Ozz
Wall failure and cabinet shelf broken;
Photo 1
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity003.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity001.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure005.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure004.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure003.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Well, now you guys are scaring us again!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't mean to frighten anyone, but it is a problem, we shall see how common. I have documented 3 so far.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ozz, that looks bad. Where you pulling it when you noticed this? I tihnk I would call Keystone ASAP. Keep us updated.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Looks like that knot in the framing board added to the chance for failure
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I agree with Judy on this one. Also, I agree that you should call Keystone right away!!!

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I called Naylor, my dealer in K.C. told Barry, the owner, I had a list of issues, he said bring it in when I get back and he will make sure it's repaired. About all I can do way down here, while I'm living in it.
The problem goes way beyond the knot. Others have had the very same problem 'knotless'.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have traveled 3500 miles over some of the worst roads in the USA with no structural failure in that area. This AM , with the aid of Helen's make up mirror and feel we found no signs of structural failure..everything is firmly stapled in place. Since there are thousands of Montana's out there that have not reported this failure.This can be viewed as a "isolated incident" and not something that should take away from the enjoyment of our all over RV experience. The unfortunate experience of the few...knot withstanding .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have an 04 3400 and had a failure there. That wall was held in place by a small piece of molding at the base of the wall next to the slide.
At some point that piece of molding popped out. There was only 1 nail in it. We were unable to replace it and as a consequence, the wall you are talking about slowly migrated out. When we were in Goshen last fall, they fixed it and secured the wall also. They were surprised that there was only 1 nail holding everything together. As a result we got rid of the grey plastic outlet hole cover (they had to make it bigger to work on it and ended up with a wood framed cover. Looks much better. Not sure this fits your category, but we did have a problem with that wall. We do not have the cupboard in there as our furnace, hotwater tank and water pump are in there.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have added this to my list of things to check on my coach when it comes out of the garage. So far I have noticed this, but will be double checking... Thanks for the heads up Ozz!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Finally made over to this thread, Ozz. As I mentione on the other thread, my wall is bowed badly. No cracks, breaks or separation, but definitely under a lot of stress. Didin't notice it before, but I would have as it is so noticeable now when I am playing with the propane monitor.

The whole wall is bowed outward and the line where the wall and the floor meets looks like a snake. I will have to wait until tomorrow to pull the access panels and see if I can see anything. As Rich mentioned it is tough to get in there, but I've been in there a few minths ago, so I'll look again...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

As I mentioned on another thread, I had to repair this same wall over the weekend. We now have about 6000 towing miles. The wall was bowed outward for some time, and finally started splitting/tearing horizontally from the outside wall toward the center of the cabinet wall, about an inch above the floor. Closer inspection showed that the vertical support that should have been screwed or nailed to the outside wall - was not secured in any way. This is the same support that Ozz showed in his photos. Since it was impossible to put any screws or nails into this support without tearing out the wall, I did the following:

1) I installed a horizontal support from the water heater inspection hole support frame, across and above the water heater to the underneath portion of the shelf that opens into the living room. This properly positioned the wall and removed the bowing out. It is also something that can be done realatively easily.
2) I also installed a 1.5" molding in place of the smaller molding and firmly nailed it to the wall bottom support board which was mounted to the floor.
3) Another thing that can be done is to install a vertical corner molding and make sure it is secured to both the outside wall and the wall in question - for additional support.

My guess is that more problems will be reported in this area as the support boards being used are quite small, and there does not seem to be sufficient quality control.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote