Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
leaking hydraulic line

No not ours..We have MOC members Dick and Joan De Cock(djdecock) in their 05 3745 as our new next door neighbors. Joan does not post much but reads the forum on a regular basis. Dick was looking in his front compartment having read about out little "isolated incident" and instead found the pan under the hydraulic pump/lines full of hydraulic fluid. We investigated for awhile and think we found a leak around the crimped on portion of one of the lines going to the pump.He is out of Keystone Warranty and of course this is not a Keystone problem but a vendor problem. We have all the proper numbers at Lippert and they are on the phone. As a side note..their Apollo oven has worked without fail since the camper was new..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad to hear it, Rich, you should be done with the problems...Knock on wood.
Good luck with your neighbors problem.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Your a good person Rich, may your ventures now be graced with being a source of solutions to others. If hydraulic line is leaking that may require pulling the end and having the high pressure connector cut off and new one crimped on...sounds like special tools or worse case getting to other end to pull entire hose off and take to someone to repair it.
Good luck,
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Rich, If you have to have a repair done locally, start looking at a tractor supply store or tractor sales/parts counter. They make these things up all of the time. The only trouble I see is if the pumps have a "bastard" end that might not be in stock. Good luck with the neighbors. I am really glad that your previous problem was handled so well.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actualy most Large Rv repair facilities should have the lines. Rv lifestyles in Quartzsite managed to get one for our line that burned through. They did have to have it made in Blyth , Ca because it was such a long line and they did not have it in stock. The DeCocks are going to quartzsite and we suggested that they let Lipperts know that RV lifestyles had the where- with- all to do the repair.It is not leaking a lot.The level was down maybe a inch but that is a lot of fluid. It is a good thing to do a visual inspection of these things on a regular basis,,you never know what you may find.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We noticed a small oil leak in our '05 3475 also. Bill e-mailed Lippert during the holidays to find our where he could get a gasket to replace the original. Within 10 minutes we had a response from Amanda that they do not have replacement gaskets (they come from another manufacture) but if we were the original owners to send them our vin number, date of purchase and they would send a new pump. We did, they did, and also authorized one hour of labor to replace it if we couldn't do it ourselves. We can not believe how wonderful they were to us. All this happened over the holidays. We thought for sure the plant would be closed and we would have to wait a long time, but that sure was not the case.

It is our pleasure to tell you how wonderful they were to us.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks Helen..We have not seen them yet this AM but will pass that information along.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
applejack
Established Member

M.O.C. #702
Last year I had a severe oil leak comming from the underbelly of my 2004 Montana 2980. After removing a section of the onderbelly I discovered a pinhole leak in one of the lines. There were no signs of chaffing of scraping on the line so the hole may have been there from day 1 and it just took a yaer to finally find its way out of the underbelly. My dealer wanted $250 to replace the line. I went to a automotive farm store and had a 30 ft line made up for $30 (including the ends). The original line is plastic rated at 2200 psi.
The one I replaced it with is regular wire wound hyralic line rated at 3500 psi. It took me no longer than 30 minutes to pull out the old line and pull in the new line. Just a hint use electical tape to join a electrical fish line to the old line before pulling it out, then attach the new line to the fish tape and pull it back in.
applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Follow up.Their 05 was out of Keystone warranty but they contacted Lippert, New Pump sent and installed.Lipperet steps up to he plate as well.The leak was at that black plastic seal on the side of the pump..It was cracked.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
YUP! That's because all of the parts for the hydraulic system is warrantied for 5 years from the date the coach was built.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I had to have all the hydraulic lines replaced in my 3670 RL due to severe leaks and burst lines. The low cost and low quality hoses from the factory were junk. The first line under Keystone warranty the rest by extended warranty. The lines were leaking internally and swelling up with orange size oil bubbles that burst. We also had the hydraulic pump unit replaced under Keystone warranty due to leaking. We camp almost every weekend year round much more than most. If you have the slick plastic coated lines keep an eye out at the pump for leaks and swelling. The rest of the lines are hidden from site. Look for oil stains underneath the camper at the seams of the underpinning material.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote