Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Using electric and gas for hot water heater

I haven't see this question on the forum and when picking up our camper the other day, the guy in service told me something completely opposite of what I had been told before. So, thought I would ask everyone out there what they do in regards to their hot water heater...when we know we are going to be using a lot of hot water, i.e. several of us are planning on taking showers close together, and doing a large amount of dishes, we were told we could run both electric and propane together to keep up. Nothing long term but over the course of a few hours. Does anyone else do this or were we told wrong a long time ago? The guy in service said we can damage our hot water heater by doing this...not sure how as he did no elaborate. Thanks for the help.
Cheryl

CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Cheryl,

I run my hotwater heater on just propane. Have done this since new, and it does keep up for the most part. If you space your showers about 10 to 15 minutes apart, that usually gives the heater enough time to recover. I know there are folks out there who do run both propane and electric at the same time. My opinion, it's a personal choice issue.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I don't claim to be an expert on anything,but we have done this for extra hot water use forever and if it harmed the water heater I do not know it.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Cheryl,

We do it, specially if we need a boost, or faster recovery. We tend to use propane first, then the electric. Course, if we are paying the electric bill that is one thing, if we are on a site with no extra charges for our electric, that is another thing. If we are on a site with 20 or 30 AMP depending on what else we want to run in the unit, that is another decision to be made. We have seen no damage, just like texdeano states, if itis there, we don't know about it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You're on the right track. Of course you can use propane and electric at the same time for your hot water heater. I don't know if you know it or not but the water heated by propane is quicker and hotter than when on electric. So, if you're using a lot of hot water then by all means, use both. I would turn off the propane portion once you don't need any more extra water. Especially if you are hooked up to a campground electric where the cost is included in your lot rent.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Cheryl,

I've been doing it for years. Even on my old TT. I think your service advise was a hollow attempt at answering a question he didn't know the answer to. The electric is an internal heat rod, and the LP heats the tank through a pass through heat exchanger tube. There should be absolutely no technical reason to believe it can harm your tank.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have used gas and electric with every camper we have owned. Don put a lighted switch inside so the electric could be switched on without going outside to do it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, one more for the electric & propane vote. Both will get your water up to temperature faster. Agree with the use electric when not metered. There are two separate temperature limit controls for each and I know of no reason running both would damage your water heater (Brad's assessment is likely true). One downside is to make sure you turn it off during periods of non-use like short periods of summer storage and long periods of winter storage. Like the idea of installing an illuminated indoor switch...its on my to do list.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have always used both when we arrive I turn on the Electric to get up to Temp. Than prior to shower time I turn on the gas for quicker recovery.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I've related my practice several times before, but it won't hurt for me to do so again.

We are not full timers, so we "take trips" in our Montana. When we arrive at the first campsite on a trip, I turn on the ELECTRIC switch on the outside. Unless we have a need for quicker heating I just let the water heat on electric power. IF we need quicker/hotter I just turn on the propane temporarily. Throughout the trip I leave the electric switch in the ON position. Obviously, when I disconnect the power for travel the heater is OFF. When I setup for the next camp the water heater comes ON when I connect to shore power. I only turn the electric switch OFF when I return home and set up. This means I do not have to go outside to deal with the switch unless we have power problems

This has worked great for us over these 10 years. Since electricity is almost always included in the campground fee we use that power to heat rather than the propane which we obviously have to pay for separately.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We use electric 90% of the time when electric is available, but if we're both showering, etc. will turn on the propane in addition to the electric for the specific purpose and then turn it off when finished. Have done this for years with no damage to hot water heater.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
For what it's worth, I agree with the others on being able to use both at the same time. The serviceman at my dealership is the one that told me it could be done, with no ill effects.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Craig and Cheryl,

You will also me amazed at how long the hot water tank stays hot after the heat is shut off. I always preheat ours at home with the propane, then shut it off for travel. After 6-8 hrs of travel, it is still HOT!

Brad
Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I agree with everyone else... I use mine mostly on electric, and have even had to replace the element once, but now and then, we turn on the propane just for a "boost". Have never had a problem with doing that. Wonder where your service guy got his training?
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
When we are at a site that has electricity, we use both. When we did the PDI the service rep said we could do this, especially when taking showers, for a shorter recovery time. He cautioned about using the electric and gas together long term because it would "pop the circuit breakers" located on the water heater. I personally have never experienced this happening and continue use both when hooked up.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahh - another serviceman seat of the pants hot water tank conclusion - breakers popping. This needs to go to MythBusters.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Okay, so let me get this straight.

There is a switch outside (behind the panel) that the PDI guy turned on for me.
And there is a switch inside (in the hallway) by the pump switch for the heater.

The one outside... for Electric ?
The one inside... for Propane ?

If I turn the inside switch "ON" then I will get dual heat ?
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yes, if outside 120v switch is turned on and you are connected to shore power.

BTW, I would turn that switch on only after filling the hot water tank for the first time, so as to not burn out the element. Once you have water in the tank you don't really have to worry about it in the future. I installed a switch in the kitchen (easy to do) because we are in some CGs where we pay for electricity.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Blue,

We should clarify. If you ever drain your hot water tank for any reason (pull the anode rod), make sure that outside switch is OFF when plugged in, or it will burn out that element in a few minutes. Leaving the LP switch on with an empty tank will also damage the tank.

Brad
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Wasn't too impressed with our service guy. Truth be known, he seemed like we were intruding on his time during our PDI! I'm glad we have had 5 other campers before this, otherwise, I'm sure there were things he would not have covered. Did not tell us how to use the 1/2 time oven...not that I really expected much, but he said, read the manual. Gee, thanks. I asked him a question about the slide...don't remember exactly what it was, and his answer, "Trust me, it is fine". Ok, what two words worry me??????
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote