Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Microwave -Beef Stew in -Can't Open Door UPDATE

The door broke on our Apollo microwave and we have beef stew in there. Don't want to force door open because we want to fix it. I love this unit and don't want to give up the convection part of it. I did a search and found the very long thread with phone number and directions. I have called Apollo and the woman that I need to talk to is at lunch. Does any one have a clue as to how to get the door open without damaging the unit? I have to say for the first time I got a little upset with some of the trivia that happens in some posts. I printed the thread without checking the number of pages (I was stressed about the microwave). It was 22 pages long with a lot of posts being experimenting with science and microwave and nuking stuff. We are in Arizona right now and hadn't planned to go homw for another week.
UPDATE
I was able to get in contact with the Apollo people. New part is on the way and they walked us through getting the door open. Nice people.
Happy trails.............................or not

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As I recall from talking to the Appollo folks When I orderd the part that broke on your door they said you need to take the oven out and get at it from the rear. You are going to have to take it out anyhow to replace the part. I recall a post in that long thread that described how to do it. I was afraid that what just happened to you would happen to us so we had them send us the part and replaced it before it broke...If there is any good news it is that it does not take long for the part to be sent.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The post was by Gypsy ....The new part was shipped promptly and the only problem was that they failed to enclose instructions for re-assembly that were promised. A friend helped me install it. Good thing - he's taller and stronger than I am, and it helps to have an extra set of hands.

To disassemble, we just kept taking out screws till we had the fan off and the outside casing off. Even took off the door but that wasn't necessary. Be sure to remember the sequence of taking things off and keep the correct screws with each part - they're different sizes and types. Two screws require a special driver with a hole in the middle. (Not sure what this is called - the outside is a star shape. Can you tell I'm not a tool expert? )

Once you have the whole thing disassembled, you'll see the bracket where the nylon part connects behind the latch button by looking through the side. It's a little tricky to get the new piece on because of the shape. We had to slightly bend a metal piece in the middle of the plate behind the latch to clear a protruding piece in the middle of the nylon part. Then, after installing the part, reach in with a flat blade screwdriver to bend the metal piece back in place. That keeps the part from moving sideways. This will (hopefully) make sense when you try the 'operation.' We found it helped to spray a little silicone on the latch release inside where the new part activates opening the door, and also on the edges of the external button to make sure everything moves smoothly without sticking or hanging up.

Now that everything's back together, it works great. It's nice to have the oven back in working order, but I've lost a very good excuse for not cooking.

Good luck!

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Thanks Rich - that is the post I printed last night.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Some have found that unplugging the unit has helped release the door. Others have not. Ours didn't.

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..Glad you were able to rescue the beef stew.That is one of my favorite dishes and I would have been very angry had Appollo ruined my beef stew....

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We've been through all this and a big "Thanks" to Gypsy and her post for getting us through it. We did take our time and continued to use the oven until the repair was made by using our fingers to pry the door open from the top and bottom placing our fingers as far to the right as possible. There were no ill effects to the oven door, and now after the repair it works as usual. The hardest part for us was removing the two safety screws without the proper tool. The instructions from Apollo say to use a needle nose pliers but we just weren't able to budge them. We ended up sawing off one of them with a hack saw, and got the other one with a regular pliers.
Take your time and it will come together for you. Of course after the repair was over I thought about the digital camera.......... sorry.............

"The Happy Campers"

Fulltiming since 1997
'01 Ford F250 V10
'04 Mountaineer 325 FKBS
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We've been through all this and a big "Thanks" to Gypsy and her post for getting us through it. We did take our time and continued to use the oven until the repair was made by using our fingers to pry the door open from the top and bottom placing our fingers as far to the right as possible. There were no ill effects to the oven door, and now after the repair it works as usual. The hardest part for us was removing the two safety screws without the proper tool. The instructions from Apollo say to use a needle nose pliers but we just weren't able to budge them. We ended up sawing off one of them with a hack saw, and got the other one with a regular pliers.
Take your time and it will come together for you. Of course after the repair was over I thought about the digital camera.......... sorry.............

On edit: You may enjoy our Blog entry for the repair day (lol) July 3, 2006
http://www.angelfire.com/az3/rex0122/thc/

"The Happy Campers"

Fulltiming since 1997
'01 Ford F250 V10
'04 Mountaineer 325 FKBS
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rex and Mary
Boy did I get side tracked reading your Blogs. Thanks for the hints. I also got a glimpse of your beer tap. Is that in your trailer? Really neat. You should share that with the beer lovers here on the forum. I like Mary's explanation of when the right time to do things is - Ed's are after coffee and exercise and before happy hour. Not a lot of time in there sometimes.
Happy trails.........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL