Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Dual landing gear motors and new control board

Wow! What a difference the dual motors make in these front heavy units.

My old single motor gear finally bit the dust and I could not even raise the Monty using the manual system. After exchanging emails with Venture and reviewing the problem with RV Medic in Casa Grande, AZ I finally decided to replace everything and move to the dual motor unit. Even better, the extended maintenance contract reimbursed 2/3 of the cost. The new gear has metal, not plastic, housings and Venture sent absolutely everything to complete the job. Kudos to Venture!

Here is one photo of the new control board: https://plus.google.com/109364587880...sts?banner=pwa

In doing the rewiring, I discovered that the existing manual switch is only rated for 18 amps - for a motor that can max out at about 30 amps full load. What the heck??? Anyway, the new control board relays handle all of the high current stuff for both manual switch and remote control board, so all should be well within ratings, even conservative.

I also have a detailed schematic if anyone is interested. Let me know and I'll send you a PDF version. Many thanks to Randy Woolery for the original idea and single motor schematic - I just built from there.

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations, sounds like everything is under control. The best answer if you don't go level-up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I must ask, dual motors require all the wiring/relays pictured?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I must ask, dual motors require all the wiring/relays pictured?
Mike
If you want to use the remote control fob and the existing manual switch to operate the landing gear, the relays are all essential. You need an up relay and a down relay for each motor as well as 2 interlock relays to prevent simultaneous activation/interference by the remote control board and manual switch. If you look at the remote control board, you'll see something very similar in relay construction, but only for a single motor.

The relays in the remote control board and the manual switch could never handle the 50-60 amps required by two motors. In addition, I found that most of the wiring in the stock landing gear system is 14 guage - also too light for the necessary current. As a result, I converted everything to 10 guage, although 12 guage probably would have been sufficient.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I believe 10 gauge is good for 30 amps. 50 amps call for 6 gauge wire.
For short runs are short duty cycles 10 gauge would probably be ok.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers

I believe 10 gauge is good for 30 amps. 50 amps call for 6 gauge wire.
For short runs are short duty cycles 10 gauge would probably be ok.
That's correct, but the way I have it wired, there won't be any circuit carrying over 25-30 amps. Feeding 12V to the board (and ground) are 2-10 gauge wires in parallel.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Just wanted to thank MikeM publicly for his contribution. After a leg collapse (yeah scary) I ended up with the dual motor kit from Venture and built MikeM's board so I could continue to use the remote and single switch to control the front legs. It works great and I'm a happy camper! Thanks again for your help MikeM!

-Greg
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mike' board is professionally designed. I was going to use it but took the EASY way and went with the Level Up. I did not say cheaper way.
Thanks Mike.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote