Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
Installing side cameras

I want to install side cameras on my 3455 SA. I want to install them about 6 inches from the front and about 2 inches from the bottom on the overhang. On the inside of the trailer (bedroom). There is about an 8 inch shelf that runs on reach side of trailer and the front closet is raised the same. Can I drill through the outside fiberglass and then drill above the raised section in front closet and fish the camera wire from the camera to the closet. Is there something structural that would not allow me to get the wire to the floor level in the bedroom?
Thanks

Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am not sure, but the frame might be in the way
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I mounted side cameras on my Monty. I put them just below the front side marker. Easy access to drilling a hole and wiring, as it goes right into the propane tank
compartment. The wiring was easy to fish over to the front compartment, where all the cables meet up from all the cameras, including the rear camera. From there I drilled a hole just above the compartment door for the cable that goes between the trailer and the truck. You just have to look inside the compartment, above the door, for a spot to drill, as there is frame work there that could get in the way. The bracket for the cameras had a hole in it, so I could fish the wire through it and then in the hole. The hole had to be larger enough to be able to let the cable end get through, as it already had a connector on it. Used a modified groument to fill the hole and some white exterior caulking to water proof.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
Thanks for the info. I was looking at mounting the cameras near the clearance lights but I was nervous that it was too far back and I would too much of aa blind spot. Are you happy with the view you get?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
X2 with what Greg did. Only exception, I didn't use the camera brakets, I just used 3M double sided adhesive pads and stuck the camera directly to the gel coat. Also, from the propane area I could fish the calbes directly between the bottom of the bedroom and the outer fiberglass. There was enough space between they to go directly into the pin box. No cables show at all. Put a hole in the pin box for the umbilical. The camera view from the propane tanks is excellent.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The field on vision is good. My cameras can be adjusted up or down and in and out. But with mirrors on the truck and the side cams, no problems. I use the rear cam the most. It acts as my rear view mirror when on the road. Best for passing, I can see when I am clear of the vehicle passed to pull back over. The side mirrors I use more when pulling into and out of an RV space. All the cams are hard wired to be on all the time, not just when backing or turning. The monitor has a remote so I can switch them at will. Once you install, you just have to adjust the cams to your liking. The biggest problem of the rear cam install was getting the wire from where the cam is mounted down the inside of the rear cap.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
Thanks for the information