Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Added New Sewer Hose Storage

Today I added a sewer hose storage on the curbside. It is larger than the roadside. Steve Reigle suggested to cut a hole in the centre so I could check that I was missing the frame. Thanks Steve for the help.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do you have pictures?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I used a stock door and took measurements from the other side. The only picture would be of the door already mounted. I forgot to take pictures while doing the job.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Before I did this I noticed the door that came with the rig is identical to the standard outside shower door we had on our prior (2003) Montana. In fact, on the inside of the door it says something about water or shower or something like that. This is on our 2007. So I got one of those doors, which come with the frame, and used that on the other side. Glad to hear you got it done, Hookman. I like having enough hoses available to reach just about any sewer connection including those at the Goshen fairgrounds where the Fall rally is held.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think Hookman should undo his mod and redo it and then take pictures. Anyone else feel the same way?

Just kidding.

This mod is on my list. I think if he (or Steve Riegle) took a picture of the result, it would make sense. It doesn't sound difficult to do if you match the measurements and cuts again the driver's side door.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, I have some pictures on my photobucket page but I'm not sure if I showed anything other than the finished product. I'll check and then edit this post.

Well, I do have some pictures but they're all after the install. See below.

As you can see in the last picture I almost got mine so low that the frame would not fit on the curve of the panel. What I recommend is that you measure to the center of the existing door, then drill a hole in the other side at that same location. Expand the hole enough that you can reach inside and determine where the frame is. It will be above the hole you drilled. Then make your full cutout to be enough below the frame that the opending in the door frame will be just below that.

If you're not sure what's there, take a look underneath. There should be some openings, just like on the original side. That's good for air circulation in that compartment. You could probably use a flashlight and hand mirror to see up in there. As you can see in my first picture, there are some wires in there but they're at the bottom at the back of the compartment and present no problem.

This is really an easy modification. Just remember that I did it. And therefore it has to be easy.

By the way, after these pictures I removed each door and frame and flipped them over so the door hinge is at the top. I did that after a door came loose on the road and got ripped off somewhere in Texas or New Mexico. Now if it comes loose at least it doesn't flop down. The problem now is I haven't figured out how to keep the door open when I'm removing a hose. I have to hold it in place. Same on both sides.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I just don't have the guts to cut a big hole in the side of the trailer.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Trlrboy, I'm not very brave that way, either, but the openings underneath allow for good inspection before cutting. I would not even attempt it if I didn't know what's there.

Another thing that helped me get past the willies was while at a Goshen Rally, Steves hollered at me to come over and look at his rig. He was having the electric rear stabilizers installed and the installer had just cut the hole in that same spot where I put our extra compartment. So we took a good look around inside. At that time, Steves had essentially the same rig we do. So I got to scope it out from the side as well as from underneath. Check it out before cutting!