Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Pin Box Question

Picked up new Montana in April spent two days at dealer to load up new unit and have adjustments corrected. As I was pulling out from dealer my wife shouted that the pin box hit the tonneau rail of truck. My turn radius, I would guess, was only 15 to 20 degrees and a slight scrape on top of tonneau rail. I contacted tech and unhooked TV and dealer pulled unit to garage area where they dropped the pin box 2 1/2 inches. I have a Mor/Ryde Hitch the extended model RPB72-1716 and it appears to be too long to swing in the truck bed. I have a short bed truck with a super glide hitch. There is no adjustment on super glide and the lead of the hitch sets at 15 inches. As a result of this adjustment the unit is riding high in the front. Clearance between bed of truck and unit is 8 1/2 and before the pin box adjustment was at 6. Talked with Mor/Ryde and they have the same hitch, medium version, which is 6 inches shorter in length which I have installed would allow me to reset the pin box back to original settings. I'm still working out the measurement numbers but was wondering if anyone else was or had a similar issue with a short box truck and extended pin?

BillR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I've got the MorRyde pin box with a Superglide 16k hitch and have not yet had any clearance issues. I'll have to check the model MorRyde I have...hard to imagine how the pinbox could have contacted the bed with 6 inches of clearance and only a 20 degree turn? On mine the rear of the pin box is close to the bed rail on a very tight turn as I recall...but still not contact...yet!
Some pics would be helpful if you can get some.
BTW, my trailer sits slightly nose high too, but not enough to be an issue. This is due to my truck being higher than stock though...
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I think I've heard some people with this problem cut the corners off the part that hits. Typically it's a very small cut. That said, it may cause warranty issues. It was posted here before IIRC.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya, I think I know what ya mean, swanny. The rear of my pin box does come close to the bed rail but only on a pretty sharp turn. Some of the material could be removed without compromising the integrity of the pinbox and then there would be no clearance issues.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
BillR48,

On my SOB 5er, it likewise has an extended pin box and the back corners were left squared off vs cut at an angle. When the trailer was leveled the kingpin box rode deeper in the bed. The result was that the back corners of the king pin box would hit the upper bed rails on a tight turn. The solution was to raise the height adjustment on the 16k Reese so that the ends of the king pin box would ride over the bed rails. Cutting the corners on the pin box would be an option except we are then altering the unit. Someday I planned on selling the trailer, so again did not want any possible liabilty issues (Calif). If I planned on keeping the SOB, I would simply look into another kingpin box. Would consider Airborne or Mor Ryde- Just pay attention to the swing and make sure the corners are not left squared off
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
When I ordered my second Montana recently I told the dealer I needed the MOR/Ryde RPB72-1116 pin box because I have a Truck Covers USA retractable cover on my 2009 Dodge, which measures 57" between the bedrail tracks. I told them there would be clearance issues with the longer RPB-1716 pin box which is 5" longer from the back of the mounting to the center of the king pin. Well, it was delivered with the longer 1716 model and as expected had to be switched over to the 1116 model. I now have the clearance needed with the added advantage of less leverage on the frame mount and Max weight rating of 19,000 lbs. VS 16,500 lbs.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I have the 1716 like the OP...but just so I understand, you are saying that your trailer is now 5" closer to the back of the truck? So I assume that the Superglide still gives you enough room on turns, but now the rear of the pin box is not too close to the bed rails?
I had considered modifying the back of my pin box a little, but so far it hasn't created a problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
This is a problem with the extended pin boxes. I have my Montana nose high about 4 to 5 inches so the back of the pin box will go over the sides of the truck bed on tight turns. My truck bed is 62 inches wide on the inside. The pin box is 31 and ½ inches long. So it is a little to long.
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Yes the square corner at the back of the extended pin box was the area that hit the tonneau cover rail. Kingdaddy I believe my actual initial turn was more like 30-40 degrees and not 20 degrees, just made a snap estimate. If I had the medium size king pin box rather than the extended version, like Searcher, the total length of the pin box would be 6 inches shorter and I would have no clearance issue since the pin box would be able to swing in the bed of the truck .Since my super glide hitch stands at 15 inches above the bed of the truck and I cannot make any adjustments 15 inches is what I have to work with. When the dealer dropped the pin box it appears they also cut the corner at an angle. I guess after listen to all of your ideas I have several option: leave the pin box set up as it is and have the unit ride a little high, reset the pin box back to its original height and see if the pin box with cut corners would work or bite the bullet and order the Mor/Ryde medium size pin box and switch out the old with the new. I will keep everyone posted as to what I finally do.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yes, definitely post what you end up with as I'm sure it will benefit others to have this information.
If you can, post up a few pics...I'd be interested in seeing your "modified" pin box.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I have/had a 1716 pinbox on our 5th wheel and recently changed it to a 5th Airborne System. I will have to do some checking to see if this might happen to me. Thanks for the info!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Same thing here with a 1716 and a long bed truck with a Retrax cover. Hit the rails a few times during our 2 months in Fla this year. A Morryde medium pin box (replacement for Lippert 1116) is on the way. Hope it cushions the ride on top of saving the Retrax rails.

Anyone in the market for a Lippert 1716...in MI?
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
BillR48
Established Member

M.O.C. #11151
Gregdan24 are you ordering your new pin box through a dealer and having dealer install it? I know there are several places I could order on line but I'm not sure I could install it unless I have some help.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
One more time that the value of the MOC Forum is demonstrated. I was seriously thinking of changing to the 1716 length when I order a Mor-Ryd pin box. After reading this thread I'm going to go over all dimensions before I switch from my current 1116 to the 1716. Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Just so I understand, does the shorter 1116 Morryde pinbox mean that the front of the trailer is the same amount closer to the cab of the truck? I have a Superglide and with the 1716 MorRyde have plenty of room on tight turns(with my short bed Dodge), but I'm not sure I would want the trailer any closer to the cab.
The rear of the pinbox does get pretty close to the bed rails. I may just "modify" the rear of the pinbox...NOT the MorRyde itself but the mounting bracket on the trailer.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Kingdaddy,
Yes, you are correct, the shorter Mor/Ryde king pin would pull the trailer into the bed (closer to the cab). The main benefit of having the extended king pin is that it is more user friendly for those having short beds (gives greater clearance between cab and trailer). May want to keep what you have if clearances between the cab and the trailer could be an issue.

Hope this helps
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks for confirming my impression regarding the shorter pin box.
I am considering putting on a pinbox bike rack so definitely don't want to get any closer to the cab.